That topic all us women have been dreading...

Options
Antjebeth08
Antjebeth08 Posts: 42 Member
Swimsuit Season!

This year will be the first time since I was like 8 that I might even consider getting a two-piece bathing suit.

It's something I absolutely dread shopping for and have done a pretty good job of avoiding it given that I haven't bought a swimsuit since the summer of 2010 and I never even wore it.

What I really want to know is if anyone has suggestions of a good swimsuit that can help cover up some trouble areas (since I am still not entirely comfortable with the idea of being half naked in public) but still be cute and youthful and fun? Is there any thing out there?

I looked at the Spanx suits but cannot justify spending over $150 on something I will barely wear.

Replies

• horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Well if you live any where near the coast and could find a surfer store or a sports store that has swimming gear....they have tons of great stuff! All kinds of swimsuits from made for surfing to just hanging on the beach. I went to LA over the fall and while there got my first bikini!
  • apg2302
    apg2302 Posts: 667
    Options
    Go and try the Spanx one anyway, as I have discovered monetary justification comes a second to personal satisfaction in some cases! :)
    I'm sure you'll look fantastic in anything you find yourself comfortable in too, but remember it's the smile on your face when you've found the right one that everyone will see first :)
  • kitcando
    Options
    WHAT???? Did a guy on here just suggest SPANX??? Wow...I am in an alternate universe.....

Get a Tankini....two piece ....can be as skimpy or as modest as you feel comfortable with :)
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i still shop in the macy's junior dept for bikinis. They have good sales!
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Miraclesuit. Macy's carries them. Check'em out.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I post this all the time bevause its good advice.

My wife recommends string bikinis for most women because you can adjust them to put them where you need them.

Suits that cover, inevitably pinch.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Bare with me now... but if your up to it try a string bikini with the bottoms that tie on the side. Being able to adjust the bottoms and top is awesome, most bikinis are cut way too tight and create a huge terrible muffin top effect but if you get the ones that tie you can adjust them to whatever size you need for your hips and look awesome.

Theres my two cents. I love running around in my bikini, one of my wake up moments was two years ago when i finally decided i needed a one peice or a long tankini because things were getting out of control.
  • kacysuzanne
    kacysuzanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Land's End has a 4 piece set - bikini with swim shirt and skirt that is interchangeable - so as you are moving from activity to activity you can switch it up and it all dries really quickly. It's probably about the same cost though. I have found that it is worth it to splurge on bathing suits. If you take care of them, they will last for years versus a cheap suit that lasts a season.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hey man, don't drag me into your culturally-based misogynistic fears... :flowerforyou:

You know, or something.
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    A tankini is definitely the way to go. Athleta has some really pretty ones this season with tons of different coverage levels for tops and bottoms. And they have free shipping both ways!

Makes me wish I needed a new suit. :)
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Victoria's Secret works for me. But I find their swimsuits not *kitten*-flattering! Any style i buy, they just don't make your *kitten* look good
  • shawnasis
    shawnasis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A good bathing suit is going to cost a bit. It is definitely worth the price! I buy mine at Victoria's Secret but have also bought the Miraclesuit. As it has been said before, what makes you feel good and puts a smile on your face is the main thing here. Besides that, unless your a child, a swimsuit lasts more than one summer.
  • aejbx4x7s
    Options
    I am also hoping to MAYBE wear a two piece this summer. Generally, I stick to skimpy one pieces. There are a lot of options that are very cute that have strategic cut outs so they don't look frumpy, but still cover problem areas.

On another note, I just looked at your profile and pictures - wow! You have lost a lot of weight and look fantastic. When I saw your current picture I kept thinking, "I can't believe she would be shy about wearing a bikini." Great job!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Wait, do people still go swimming, or is this just for tanning?

I just can't find one that fits all over. Either my boobs (if it fits perfectly on the bottom) or hooty-hoo (fits perfectly on top) is hanging out. 2-piece is out because I have a giant gut and it's just too disgusting to be seen in public.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Try a monokini :D There's a bunch of different kinds of designs.
  • Antjebeth08
    Antjebeth08 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    On another note, I just looked at your profile and pictures - wow! You have lost a lot of weight and look fantastic. When I saw your current picture I kept thinking, "I can't believe she would be shy about wearing a bikini." Great job!

Thanks, yeah in my head I'm still the fatty I used to be so I'm just trying to slowly work into feeling more comfortable wearing less. I'm sure my boyfriend would appreciate it too. lol :laugh:
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I tried a monokini this last year. Seems like more coverage should equal less sexy but no... I determined it could not be worn around my teenagers and their friends. I say tankini 2 piece but full covered. Do little swim shorts for the bottom and whatever you are comfy with up top.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I post this all the time bevause its good advice.

My wife recommends string bikinis for most women because you can adjust them to put them where you need them.

Suits that cover, inevitably pinch.

This only works for women with teeny tiny boobs. (like me) String bikinis have a way of letting tig ol' bitties saaaaaaaag to the belly button with NO support, which looks nasty nasty, as well as making the shoulder strings dig uncomfortably into the shoulders from the weight of the knockers. After I had my son my boobs were huge, and I had this problem all the time.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Victoria's Secret works for me. But I find their swimsuits not *kitten*-flattering! Any style i buy, they just don't make your *kitten* look good

I agree! Their bikini tops are awesome, but often leave something lacking in the bottom dept. That's why mix'n'match is your friend!
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I have read good reviews on Magicsuit Swimwear.