Options

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein.
  • joeymalone142
    Options
    I stopped eating after 6pm for several weeks a while back and it did not seem to make any difference for me, so I went back to not trying to do that. I still don't eat any later than 8 most nights. I usually stop between 6 and 8 depending on where I am with having calories left.

What I did learn was that if I run out of calories at 6pm I can handle it. If I want to use the rest of my calories for the day on my dinner and not worry about saving some for a snack later, or that I might be hungry later, I can. I used to be kind of paranoid about running out of calories too early in the evening, and deliberately being done by 6 for a few weeks showed me I am just fine if I don't have any calories left after dinner.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to all the experts on the forum. As long as its healthy and works for you, keep at it.

I think if it was working for him, he wouldn't be posting. :wink:

Up until recently, when my husband's shift changed, I didn't have dinner until 7:30 or so most nights. Big dinner, too, usually around 1000 calories or so. Never hurt my progress. Meal timing is irrelevant, unless it disrupts your sleep.

Providing the daily calories are the same, the ONLY impact eating later might have on your weight is if you weigh yourself in the morning and haven't pooped yet.
  • connie1208
    Options
    I would drink a protein shake low on carbs or eat some chicken breast with veggies..its never to late to eat..when you eat the right food
  • RowenaBernice
    Options
    Agree with everyone else, the whole "don't eat after 7pm or you'll retain it all" thing is a myth. I did scope out your diary and your eating seems very back and forth, with irregular meals and calorie intake throughout the day. What I have found is that making sure I eat about 5 times a day helps keep you from that fridge-raiding threatening feeling that you get from going hours without eating. For example: I have a small breakfast, usually just one egg, then between breakfast and lunch have a snack, same with between lunch and dinner, I workout after dinner and then have a small snack between dinner and bed. Developing this routine has REALLY helped me. Also, you might not be counting calories correctly (I was having trouble losing weight and someone said this to me- it felt like a slap, but it was TRUE.) based on correct portion/ serving sizes. Plus depending on what your goal is for the day, you don't always want to eat back your exercise calories- especially if you're not hungry because then you get more of a calorie deficit for the day.
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat after 7pm my body retains extra pounds for the next 2 weeks and I end up in a cycle of losing 3lbs one week then regaining them again the following week. However on the weeks that I do not eat after 6pm,coupled with exercise for 60 mins everyday,I find a steady weight loss of 2lbs.The only trouble is I finish work at 9pm and by the time I get home at 10pm I am Starvin' Marvin and then I raid the fridge like a demented cockroach.

What kind of slow energy release foods can I eat that wont make me keep piling on the pounds.

My diary is open

All foods that fit in the low Glycemic Index are good to have slow release, also protein is a slow release food. (I am assuming that slow release means how fast it is burned, or more or less how fast it raises your glucose levels). It is important to try and keep our glucose levels even and avoid to many spikes and dips.

The rule of thumb is to try not to eat 3 hours before you go to sleep. That way you have given your body a chance to digest your food... if you eat right before you go to bed, there is no where for that energy to be used, so it will be stored (fat)... also you won't get as good night rest when your stomache is busy trying to digest a meal.

In addition to the not eating 3hrs before bed, I do the 7-7/ 8-8 etcc... so if I have dinner at 7pm I will not be eating breakfast until after 7am ect... also if I am having dinner at 7 I am not going to bed until 10pm. That way I have a 12hr fasting between my dinner and "break" fast. I will say since I started doing this, I feel more energized.
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat after 7pm my body retains extra pounds for the next 2 weeks

no

What do you mean no???

That is what my scale shows me.I'm trying to work out all the factors that lead to this.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Almost aways I don't think we've ever eaten before 6pm.... Generally its after 7 for supper we are busy and my husband works all hours. Sometimes I wait till 10 for him to come home... and I've never had a problem lost 85 lbs even eating this way.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options
    To each, their own. If it works for you, go for it!

But eating after a certain time = weight gain is absolutely ludicrous. There are windows of opportunity that can help maximize your effort in the gym and your recovery, but for the most part it doesn't matter when you put nutrients into your body. Many times I am eating dinner at 11pm and I have a normal schedule... Work at 10am get off work at 8, go to the grocery store and get home at 9, prepare and cook food, sit down and finally start eating sometimes at 10:30-11. And then I go to bed 30 min later.
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits into your calories for the day you should be fine!

To answer you question, yes! I always have a snack while watching tv at night.
  • GingerBiscuit_19
    GingerBiscuit_19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As a rule I will not eat past 8pm under any circumstances. I have often gone to bed hungry. X
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    For me it was all about calories in vs calories out, the time of day didn't hinder my weight loss. For me it was the gym after work, then dinner...so I was having dinner anywhere from 8 - 9 pm.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    You have 28 lbs to lose, and you have a pretty large deficit, if your diary is accurate. You don't need that big of a deficit at this point. Try eating more food and don't worry about what time it is, as long as you're staying within your calories.

ETA this link. Please read it. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    really? a calorie is a calorie. it doesnt matter when you eat it.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I just try to stop eating an hour before I go to sleep.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    If eating after 6pm made people gain weight us overnight people would never lose weight. Don't be silly. :p
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Usually, I eat over 1000 of my calories after 6 PM, sometimes even as late as 10 or 11 PM. I am rarely hungry and I am consistently logging losses on the scale and lost inches off my body.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out.

Meal timing/ frequency has no impact on how your body utilizes nutrients. Countless studies have been done on this and the conclusion is always the same. There has to be another factor you're not taking into account.

I read this at least once a week on MFP that calories are what matter for weight loss. I just can't get myself to trust it. When I am done eating for the day, unless I eat something not homemade, I am always just under 1000 calories. That is not enough but my fat and protein are always close to target. What can I change? Should I just go by calories?
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat after 7pm my body retains extra pounds for the next 2 weeks

no

What do you mean no???

That is what my scale shows me.I'm trying to work out all the factors that lead to this.

It does not matter if you eat after 6pm... the key is not to eat right before you go to sleep....you should wait 2-3hrs after you dinner before bed.

Also what kind of calories you are putting in make a huge difference. You want to go for more whole fresh food, try to stay away from the processed packaged food that is loaded w/persvatives. Our food is our fuel and if we are putting in bad fuel well we won't get the same results.

Foods in the low glycemic index and making sure to get enough protein will fill you up for longer. If you are working out in the gym it is important to eat some protien when you are done, even if it is just a glass of milk it is better than nothing.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Up until recently, when my husband's shift changed, I didn't have dinner until 7:30 or so most nights. Big dinner, too, usually around 1000 calories or so. Never hurt my progress. Meal timing is irrelevant, unless it disrupts your sleep.

Providing the daily calories are the same, the ONLY impact eating later might have on your weight is if you weigh yourself in the morning and haven't pooped yet.

QFT! ^^^This gal knows what she's talking about.

FWIW - I eat probably 1/2 of my daily calories between 6pm and midnight. It's when I'm most hungry, so that's when I eat. My body can't tell time.