newbie to exercise HR question

Options
I have been raising my activity for about a year and a half. Now, it seems forever to get my heart rate even into the mid 130's. Is this because I am more fit? I can walk at a 3.5 at 12 percent incline, with intermittent jogging and stay in the 140's, but the DVD's that are cardio my heart rate is in the 110-120 for most of the time.

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    bumb..need some insight
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I have been raising my activity for about a year and a half. Now, it seems forever to get my heart rate even into the mid 130's. Is this because I am more fit? I can walk at a 3.5 at 12 percent incline, with intermittent jogging and stay in the 140's, but the DVD's that are cardio my heart rate is in the 110-120 for most of the time.

Yes you're 100% correct. If you want a challenge you'll need to pick up the pace. Your heart can get stronger just like any other muscle. That's good though so congratulations.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    TY I thought that might be it. I want to try jogging or running I find that very challenging, as I cant go much faster that I do the videos.
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yep it's time to add more intensity!!! The more you exercise the fitter your cardiovascular system becomes so the more intensity you need to get your heart rate up! This is a good thing!!!!
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you like videos, but your body is used to the vids you have, try looking through videos at bodyrock.tv or serch bodyrock on you tube. There are daily videos that STILL get my HR through the roof!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have been raising my activity for about a year and a half. Now, it seems forever to get my heart rate even into the mid 130's. Is this because I am more fit?

Yes

*Sorry, I have no links to prove this so you'll have to take my word for it.