Chest pain while jogging???

Options
I am 33 and weigh in the 130's. I have never been able to jog/run without feeling like I'm going to die but after finishing the 30 Day Shred I decided I needed more cardio so I started the Couch to 5K last week. The first day went great but I've done it 3 times since and every time about 15 minuntes into it I get chest pain. As soon as a slow my pace down the pain goes away.

I'm starting to get worried about this. I've never had that problem with exercise before. The pain is right in the middle of my chest but slightly to the left side - like RIGHT where my heart is. It feels like a sharp achy pain. But like I said it goes away as soon as I slow my pace down. I am jogging at 4.5 on the treadmill and walking at 3.5 during the walking parts.

Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• choosingsara
    choosingsara Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would definitely tell your doctor about this. Better safe than sorry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Definitely seek the advice of a medical professional...you shouldn't have chest pain while you're running. It could be that you're not quite up to that pace yet and your body simply telling you to back off the throttle or it could be something more serious. Get it checked out.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I would definitely tell your doctor about this. Better safe than sorry.

Immediately. Like, shut off the computer and go to the emergency room right now.
  • suecan2
    Options
    first thing is first..call your doc. but, i've had it when trying to run outside in temps below 45 degrees. i ended up with an inhaler because the cold weather induces an asthma. the inhaler takes the chest pain away..but now in cold temps i try to run indoors on a treadmill where the air is warm and humidity is high and no chest pain occurs...i prefer not taking meds just to exercise
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I would say get it checked out.
  • grabenson7
    Options
    see the doctor sooooooooooooooooon
  • i_like_snow
    i_like_snow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your input.

I forgot to mention that I'm also doing the 30 Day Shred and started using heavier weights and doing "real" push-up (rather than on the knees). I don't know if this could be straining my chest muscles or not. I usually do the Shred, wait 30 minutes then run.

I will probably call my doctor but I don't feel this warrents a trip to the ER by any means. I'm fine. 30 Seconds after I slow my pace down the pain is gone. But it is concerning.

I googled it and found lots of forums where people have asked the same question and it seems like it not that uncommon. I still don't feel comfortable about it.
  • hanbritta
    Options
    I am 18, and have lived a healthful life. When I started track my chest ached a lot. Honestly, I discovered WHY it hurt so bad, and I felt dumb for not realizing it sooner. You are not breathing properly. Your heart needs oxygen from the lungs to pump through the body, and if you aren't breathing properly then your heart is pumping non-oxygenated blood into your body (that's where the pain comes from). [Please, I am by no means a doctor, but by fixing my breathing methods, my chest pain was eliminated).
    Good luck!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    As a longtime cardiac nurse, I would recommend that you contact a doctor and inquire about having a stress test. While you're probably right that it's muscular in origin, chest pain/pressure with exertion is a classic symptom of Coronary Artery Disease. It is rare, but definitely not unheard of, for a 36-year-old to have CAD. Better safe than sorry -- get it checked out!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Don't run until you see a Dr. and get checked out! That doesn't sound good and it may be nothing but I wouldn't take a chance on it.
  • Cwyman1
    Cwyman1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Get it checked, but it could be exercise induced asthma.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to the emergency room, but I would get it checked out by a doctor. You might need to have a stress test done by a cardiologist to really know what is going on. I would at least get an EKG done to make sure!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I am 33 and weigh in the 130's. I have never been able to jog/run without feeling like I'm going to die but after finishing the 30 Day Shred I decided I needed more cardio so I started the Couch to 5K last week. The first day went great but I've done it 3 times since and every time about 15 minuntes into it I get chest pain. As soon as a slow my pace down the pain goes away.

I'm starting to get worried about this. I've never had that problem with exercise before. The pain is right in the middle of my chest but slightly to the left side - like RIGHT where my heart is. It feels like a sharp achy pain. But like I said it goes away as soon as I slow my pace down. I am jogging at 4.5 on the treadmill and walking at 3.5 during the walking parts.

Anyone else experience this?

Don't fart-*kitten* about with this, visit your doctor asap, explain and let them do any tests.

If they find anything, you will have plenty of warning and be able to adapt accordingly. However, if they find nothing is wrong, you most likely have cramp in that area which, as you found out, disappears when you slow down which is what you would have to do.

Definitely visit that doctor though, nothing is worse risking your health!
  • Guggz
    Guggz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor now.

Having said that it could be number of things. If it has been very cold outside, that could just be it. It takes a toll on your lungs but its not really dangerous unless you get a bad asthma attack which does not sound like in your case, unless you have asthma. I am a outside runner dealing with asthma and I have had these pains at times, when I have been sprinting or starting to fast in the beginning of my run. I these cases I have also been stressing about something. My running partners with healthy lungs also experience big discomforts in their lungs, running in could weathers.

Anything below 0 Celsius is a hassle for me, and even warmer weathers if its windy. Stress can also be a factor as well as Gout disease (acid reflects) that can have similar signs as a heart attack, but milder. These two where the guilty ones in my case last year but their gone now. Been taking extra care of my self, improving my diet and more.

Obviously you want to check with your doctor as soon as you possibly can to rule out heart attack in the making. You should ad in more leafy greens, just grind them in the blender with fruit and water if you dont like them. Juicing is also a good thing if you dont like the greens. Cut down on fatty foods, junk food, processed foods and meat at least until you get the ok from your doctor.

Again. Go to the doctor.