So in its simplest terms bread has such a bad rep because...

Options
Just looking to get a bit of opinoin here more than anything, i've read lots of articles on this but often find it more insightful hearing peoples views on here and such..

I've been trying to simplify it down for myself to understand why bread has such a bad rep, is it basically cause it causes an insulin spike which stores glucose in the muscles particularly the fat ones and thus encourages fat storage in the long run....i know people re going to say it is calories in/calories out at the end of the day but say if you did eat a good bit of bread in your day would it hinder your weight loss because of this...

advice needed..

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Cause it's the staple of civilization and the developmental of humanity?

I'm not sure quite why either. I mean unless you are diagnosed with celiac's or need to avoid excessive carbohydrates d/t diabetes. I think bread gets a bad rap. People are silly billies!
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love bread and I even make an incredible French bread that everyone craves. I've cut back on my bread consumption ONLY because it has too many calories for the amount it fills me. Two slices of the thick bread I love have about the same calories as the pork chop I had last night. The pork chop was more filling.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Just looking to get a bit of opinoin here more than anything, i've read lots of articles on this but often find it more insightful hearing peoples views on here and such..

I've been trying to simplify it down for myself to understand why bread has such a bad rep, is it basically cause it causes an insulin spike which stores glucose in the muscles particularly the fat ones and thus encourages fat storage in the long run....i know people re going to say it is calories in/calories out at the end of the day but say if you did eat a good bit of bread in your day would it hinder your weight loss because of this...

advice needed..

Bread isn't very filling for its caloric content. And bread made with bleached flour has little nutritional value - it's not really far from sugar with a multivitamin mixed in.

Bread has been a staple of civilization because, traditionally, it's a way to get lots of calories in an easy, cheap way. You'll notice that the yummy, hearty, whole grain breads have tons of calories - put butter on and you have even more. It's only recently that calories have become so plentiful that we can eat as much of whatever we want, whenever we want. Common folk hundreds of years ago simply couldn't afford to eat so much.

So, by all means, if you can fit bread happily into your macros, go ahead and eat it and don't feel guilty. But in my experience, scrapping the bread and eating something else instead makes it much easier to get the nutrients I need for the day and not feel full.
  • siblita
    siblita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. If you have an undamaged metabolism that can handle it, awesome (#wishthatwasme). You are right in that it does trigger insulin, and while insulin levels are high fat is kept locked up in the fat cells. (and more is stored).

The other theory (Wheat Belly book theory) is that the wheat of today is not like the wheat of ancient times (or even a couple hundred years ago) and in the process of hybridizing it to increase the yield, certain proteins that trigger opiate receptors in the brain are now present, which makes you crave more carbs.

So if you can eat bread and your blood sugar stays stable, and you experience no cravings for carbs (more bread), then consider yourself lucky!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I love fresh bread right out of the oven with lots of butter : )_ but I don't usually eat bread much just because of the calories. My husband is allergic to wheat and my granddaughter is celiac so in their case it's a must to avoid it.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, interesting to see other people's take on it, guess as long as it fits in my macros it is fine and not to over do it- im not the type of person that craves it like once I've had it, if i have a bit of toast in the morning that does my fine, sometimes i am a bit conscience of eating carbs late at night but i'm trying to shake that off.

Even though a spike in insulin attributes to fat storage say if you are under/within your calorie account for the day how does this affect fat stores?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. If you have an undamaged metabolism that can handle it, awesome (#wishthatwasme). You are right in that it does trigger insulin, and while insulin levels are high fat is kept locked up in the fat cells. (and more is stored).

The other theory (Wheat Belly book theory) is that the wheat of today is not like the wheat of ancient times (or even a couple hundred years ago) and in the process of hybridizing it to increase the yield, certain proteins that trigger opiate receptors in the brain are now present, which makes you crave more carbs.

So if you can eat bread and your blood sugar stays stable, and you experience no cravings for carbs (more bread), then consider yourself lucky!

LolWheatBelly

Fast forward to the last min or so if you don't want to watch the whole thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ucxeiyjpg

Also

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    One time I ate a slice of bread and gained 10 pounds.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    hmm