I messed up

Options
I am afraid I seriously messed up my metabolism and my health in general. I went through years of under eating and over exercising. For the past year or so I decreased my exercise to about an hour every day (usually running) but still restricted my food intake and under ate. A few months ago (November maybe?) I decided to face me fears and own up to the situation and get healthy. At that time I was eating about 1200 calories and I slowly upped that to 1500. I gained weight slowly but was okay with it. I knew that 1500 was still restricting so I upped it to 1700-1800 for the past two months. Since then I have gained 15 pounds and still gaining more and more. How is it possible I keep gaining and gaining on 1800 calories when that should be lower than maintenance amount for my size. Currently I weigh 128-130 lbs. and am a 5'7", 20-something female. I know that my body is still not functioning properly as I do not have monthly periods, so something is still not right. I feel so hopeless and really do not want to gain more! If anyone out there has any helpful ideas/thoughts/comments I would be so appreciative!!!! I have been to my doctor but she just dismissed everything saying that I was a healthy weight so I am fine. I have read some places that exercise may be doing my body more harm than good right now and I should take a break, but I am afraid to gain even more! Please, if you can offer any insight or anything I would greatly appreciate it! Sorry for this novel of a post, I just feel so lost...

Replies

• whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would say that at 5'7", 128-130 is ideal body weight for you or under
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I hope you consult another doctor to find out why you aren't having periods.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    You need to seek help from a medical professional. This is nothing that can't be sorted out, but you're going to need much more specialized assistance and monitoring of your body's response than you will find on the internet in order to do so. Best of luck to you.
  • Nonnyette
    Nonnyette Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Honey, it sounds to me like you (a) need a new doctor, and (b) need to talk to a nutritionist. I am by no means any expert, but it sounds to me like you need to reset your attitude towards your weight and food intake. It is really great that you have recognized you have some issues to deal with - now surround yourself with people who can help you. Based on my limited knowledge, if you are 5'7", I would think you can certainly stand to gain a few more pounds. But more important than that, you need to be comfortable in your body. If your body is telling you that it needs to weigh more (e.g. if you still aren't getting your periods), then throw the scale away for a while and concentrate on simply being healthy. The scale may be doing you more harm than good right now.

Good luck, and take care of yourself.
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    See a nutritionist and get your metabolism tested. It could be well worth it to understand if your body is "broken" or if you need some assistance on what you need to be doing to fuel yourself.
  • blueeyeddragon2115
    Options
    Seek a nutritionalist they would have the most info on how to repair this problem. Not having periods is a serious issue and i think consulting with another doctor would be a good idea.
  • avalentineb
    avalentineb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Go to a different Dr, one who doesnt dismiss your concerns.
  • FitFoodie247
    FitFoodie247 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you to everyone who took the time to respond! I sadly cannot see another doctor, its complicated but I have to go through my school's medical center. I have talked with a nutritionist and she just told me to eat 1500, plus 500 on exercise days... and to take calcium (which I do). Right now I just want to be healthy, I know what I did in the past was unhealthy and damaging and do not ever plan to do that again. The trouble is I don't know the "right" thing to do in order to get myself healthy and functioning at an optimal level. I guess I'll just continue to eat what I am now and see if eventually my body stabilizes. I also may try to cut down on intense exercise to see if my body is storing fat because it feels a lot of stress, from past history with food and exercise. Again, thanks to all that replied!!!
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Go to a different Dr, one who doesnt dismiss your concerns.

^5 Valentine. Absolutely get another doctor!!