Protien bars and shakes a good idea?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    i do a protein shake in the morning, mostly because it's fast, and i don't crawl out of bed any earlier than absolutely necessary to get ready for work. I have a gallon of milk, blender and protein mix at work. I'm not a good planner when it comes to what i'm going to eat so it just works. Also the 67 g of protein it gives me in the morning helps with getting my numbers up where they need to be.

What kind of protein mix and how much to get 67g of protein?? Just curious..

2.5 scoops, or about 85 g, of whey powder is around that value. They let you use more than one scoop at a time ;)
  • sarahjay1
    sarahjay1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i do a protein shake in the morning, mostly because it's fast, and i don't crawl out of bed any earlier than absolutely necessary to get ready for work. I have a gallon of milk, blender and protein mix at work. I'm not a good planner when it comes to what i'm going to eat so it just works. Also the 67 g of protein it gives me in the morning helps with getting my numbers up where they need to be.

What kind of protein mix and how much to get 67g of protein?? Just curious..

2.5 scoops, or about 85 g, of whey powder is around that value. They let you use more than one scoop at a time ;)

Lol. I've been using Jillian Michaels Natural Whey Protein and for 67g I would need more than 4 scoops at 100 calories per scoop. That seens like a lot for me in one go if you have to also add in the milk and other stuff.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Lol. I've been using Jillian Michaels Natural Whey Protein and for 67g I would need more than 4 scoops at 100 calories per scoop. That seens like a lot for me in one go if you have to also add in the milk and other stuff.

That's pretty low quality protein. Over 400 calories for 268 calories of protein? That's only 67% of calories from protein.

For comparison, my Dymatize Elite Whey has 24g protein per 114 calories. That's 85% of calories from protein.
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    BEST protein bars, hands down, are Quest Bars. I adore them and just fell head over heels in love with their newest flavor, chocolate chip cookie dough.

190 calories
    8 grams fat
    21 grams carbs
    1 gram sugar
    21 grams protein
  • jonnythan
    Options
    BEST protein bars, hands down, are Quest Bars. I adore them and just fell head over heels in love with their newest flavor, chocolate chip cookie dough.

190 calories
    8 grams fat
    21 grams carbs
    1 gram sugar
    21 grams protein

I tried those back when they first started. They had some kind of deal, or promotion, or something. I think they sent me a bunch of them for free.

Anyway, i remember that they tasted like poison.
  • mattyb1971
    Options
    I like bars and shakes as snacks, not as meal replacements.

Same here. Low-sugar Detour bars are my favorite.
  • veganstein
    veganstein Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a strict vegetarian, so it's hard to meet my protein macro. A shake or protein bar as a snack makes it easy.
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I eat both but only as snacks to bump up my protein.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My Dr. told me I was low on protein when I had my latest physical (based on my blood test). I bought some whey protein but instead of mixing up shakes, I put a small scoop of the powder in my breakfast yogurt and in my lunch bowl of cereal. (I only eat meat once a day at most, and even if I do I don't eat a large portion). It does seem to make it more filling and keeps me full longer. And on the Quest Bar question, I bought some for meals/snacks while on a hiking trip and I LOVED them! But my husband didn't like them at all. I think it's just a personal preference.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My Dr. told me I was low on protein when I had my latest physical (based on my blood test). I bought some whey protein but instead of mixing up shakes, I put a small scoop of the powder in my breakfast yogurt and in my lunch bowl of cereal. (I only eat meat once a day at most, and even if I do I don't eat a large portion). It does seem to make it more filling and keeps me full longer. And on the Quest Bar question, I bought some for meals/snacks while on a hiking trip and I LOVED them! But my husband didn't like them at all. I think it's just a personal preference.

You can't measure dietary protein from a blood test, that's ludicrous. You have probably studied mutrition more than your Dr. has.
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake in the morning from Xyngular called Lean. It has 10 gms of protein and only 44 calories. It gives me a great start without consuming a ton of calories early in the day. I also have found the Snickers Marathon bars. I will cut one of these in half for an after work/pre-workout snack and eat the other half after my workout (total 20 gms protein). Then eat 2 meals (lunch and dinner) and two snacks (usually 90 calorie fiber one or special K bar around 10 and 2) staying around my 1200 calorie goal. So far, so good :-) I am also doing Insanity workouts right now and do not find myself hungry or tired at all most days!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You can't measure dietary protein from a blood test, that's ludicrous. You have probably studied mutrition more than your Dr. has.

You might want to do a little research there, sport.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The real question is what happens after you're done losing weight? Do you want to eat protein bars every day for the rest of your life?
    THIS!

Train yourself to choose healthy foods and to cook them well and you'll change you life forever instead of just being on some diet!

I started out with protein shakes for breakfast when I was trying to train myself to eat breakfast every morning. Now that I find myself wanting breakfast, I switched to real food. I'll make one or grab a cliff bar in a pinch.. but it's not likely anymore.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Do you want to eat protein bars every day for the rest of your life?

The peanut butter ones and the lemon meringue ones I eat... oh, hell yes! (But like I said before, as a snack, not a meal.)
  • cluelessang
    cluelessang Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try the protein bars and protien shakes from Lindora. Low in carbs, sugar and calories. I tend to eat every 2 hours, so it helps to have one of those every 2 hrs to help with my blood sugar as well.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

My Serum Total Protein was low. He said I needed more protein in my diet to bump it up. And when I analyzed my diet closely, I am low on protein intake. I thought I ought to up it especially since I do a lot of strength training.
  • jonnythan
    Options

My Serum Total Protein was low. He said I needed more protein in my diet to bump it up. And when I analyzed my diet closely, I am low on protein intake. I thought I ought to up it especially since I do a lot of strength training.

You and the doc are right; the other poster is not. Low serum protein levels are indicative of, absent any medical condition, low protein intake.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    all he did was create a calorie deficit ..you can do the same thing without shakes or protein bars..just eat less..

Honestly, I would rather eat my protein in the form of real food then drink it or get it from some bar...
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes for post lifting. If you don't lift (and lift heavy) then why do you need a protein bump?

I use protein bars when I get a sweet tooth. The ones I eat are low to no sugar added, and 17-20 grams of protein.

Again, I lift weights. So if you don't, then I would suggest instead of a bar/ shake you replace that with a healthy snack, i.e. hard boiled egg, fruit, low fat cheese stick, yogurt, etc.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    all he did was create a calorie deficit ..you can do the same thing without shakes or protein bars..just eat less..

Honestly, I would rather eat my protein in the form of real food then drink it or get it from some bar...

Some of us don't want to eat 18 ounces of pork and 6 ounces of chicken every day!