Advice Needed from Those with High-Stress and Sedentary Jobs

Options
Hi!

I gained about 10 lbs in the past week. It's way out of control. I have a high-stress job that keeps me in a chair all the time. I'm not allowed to work-out on my lunch breaks unless I can get back to the office and not look a mess (that would mean I skip lunch to workout for 20 mins and spend the remaining 40 showering and heading back to work. basically, a lose-lose.)

For those of you that have found the ability to work-out during the work week, how long did it take for you to quit being so tired and actually get your butt in the gym? It's not laziness, it's plain old fatigue.

I work from 10-7 and walk to and from work. It's not a long walk, like 8-10 mins. (Actually, i started walking, 'cos my intersection is a damn death trap.)

Really, i just need someone to fill me in on how long it takes to adjust to this sort of job as to where I'll be able to go out and workout again. I've been at this job for about 2 months now. Before that I was very active (unemployment did wonders for my body, hahahahaha.)

Thanks for any help. Hope all this made sense, but my brain barely even functions after work.

Replies

• katmumn
    katmumn Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My job is pretty high stress and long hours. I work in IT and we finished moving the entire company to a new ERP system a few months ago, so it's been really grueling. I drive to work and it's almost 30 miles each way. During the week, I started by focusing on small workouts and save the longer ones for the weekend. Even if you go for a walk for 10-15 minutes over your lunch hour, it's important to start with something. Plus, getting out of the office even for those 10-15 minutes helps me clear my head and keeps the stress level from becoming overwhelming.

Now, I aim for 20-30 minutes in the evening and I find that the exercise helps me sleep better (most of the time, except for last night for some reason).
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Some people say my job is high stress and working patrol is a generally sedentary proposal, especially in the winter. I maintain my momentum by keeping at it on my macros and making damn sure I show up ready to rock it out for all of my workouts.

It's really easy in my mobile office to end up eating at drive throughs but I make a concerted effort to stop doing that and provide myself with healthy alternatives and plenty of water. Water, water, water with the occasional monster (absolute zero, of course) thrown in for good measure.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    First, 10 pounds in a week is likely water retention. What are you eating? And remember, no amount of training can compensate for poor diet. Get your nutrition right and the rest will follow.

Second, you are working 8 hours. That leaves plenty of time before or after work for a good workout, if you plan it right.

I am a control room operator and work 12 hr shifts, rotating from days to nights. I don't get a lunch break; sometimes barely a potty break. I get up an hour early and bust in a workout. I love starting the day knowing I've already done the hardest thing I'm going to have to do all day. Like you, after work, I am usually mentally cooked. But even then, a good sweat to some loud music can clear out the cobwebs and give me back some energy, if not sanity!

One of my favorite quotes on here is "If you really want it, you will find a way. If you don't, you will find an excuse." Just do it. You'll be glad you did!
  • Karmachka
    Karmachka Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Why not exercice before you start working? If you start at 10, it gives you enough time to go to the gym in the morning, no?
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    1 lb = 3,500 calories
    10 lb = 35,000 calories

I seriously doubt you ate 35,000 extra calories in one week. It is probably water retention. I also have an offce job, so I workout out in the evening, after dinner. Learn to use your workout to relieve your stress- try something like kickboxing...burns a ton of calories & it feels really good to throw punches after a long day.
  • DerpyDiv
    Options
    thanks, you guys, this is all really great advice.
  • vashnic
    Options
    Sounds like a good schedule to work out in the mornings before work. :) And, assuming you have your own office (?), you can take a mini-break every hour or so to do a few pushups/dips/situps and get some good exercise that way without getting too mussed.
  • mattvandyk
    mattvandyk Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I work ~60-70 hours/week at a desk in a notoriously high-stress profession. Put on a little over 40 pounds over the last decade or so. I can totally relate to the "I'm just too exhausted to do anything about it" mindset. This is your brain lying to you. Don't listen to it.

It takes a moderate amount if effort to track calorie consumption (assuming you use the MFP app), and if you did nothing but monitor and control that, you'd be 75% of the way home.

Getting to the gym requires a little more effort, but it's a great decompresser; kinda like TV only way more effective. So, 3 days a week (not coincidentally on the evenings when there's "nothing on"), I go to the gym on my way home at night. Sure, that means I don't eat dinner until after 9:30, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

I've only been at this a couple months now, so I certainly don't have all the answers, but so far, I love it and can't see myself turning back. Sure, for the first couple of weeks, it was a collossal PITA, but once I got settled into a rhythm, it just became part of the routine. Best part (for me, anyway) is the fact that the weight loss isn't the best part; while the weight loss is great, the best part is the way it helps me manage stress, have more energy, and generally have a brighter disposition. All of that was completely unexpected, but frankly, it's that part that's most likely to keep me going back.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you actually have plenty of time to exercise 10-7 (9 hours including lunch break) plus a very short commute. It's probably more about just getting into the routine. Start by scheduling in exercise the way you would a meeting or appointment. You could book a PT session, do a boot camp, play a sport, arrange to meet up with a friend, go to the gym before or after work. Find some way of holding yourself accountable (or someone else to do it for you) You might have to force yourself to go in the beginning but once you start you'll probably find that it helps with the stress. For me exercise is a way of switching off, it's me time. Start small by aiming for 30 minutes 3 times a week and work your way up
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Maybe morning workouts are better for you. I get up at 5 so I can wake up, eat, run for 45 min or an hour get showered and ready for work. The days I work I start at 7:30, work til 4 or 5 making for about 25-30 hrs a week depending. I'm also a full time student so on the days I don't work I have school and spend a lot of time sitting. My average week has been 70 hrs of sitting with about 6 to 8 hrs of working out per week.

I think you need to find a schedule that works for you. I know it is easy to get disorganized when you are unemployed (I just got laid off again) and your time is your own.
  • DerpyDiv
    Options
    Maybe morning workouts are better for you. I get up at 5 so I can wake up, eat, run for 45 min or an hour get showered and ready for work. The days I work I start at 7:30, work til 4 or 5 making for about 25-30 hrs a week depending. I'm also a full time student so on the days I don't work I have school and spend a lot of time sitting. My average week has been 70 hrs of sitting with about 6 to 8 hrs of working out per week.

I think you need to find a schedule that works for you. I know it is easy to get disorganized when you are unemployed (I just got laid off again) and your time is your own.

ahhhh yes, student hood. i had the most killer body on the planet during my first couple years of law school... then i started working in my last year and allllll downhill from the stress.

i thought being done with school and being "gainfully employed" would lower my stress levels and I could have a sick body again, but man oh man was I wrong.

ok, thanks everyone, again! gonna attempt sleeping, but I have a lot of sleeping problems, which is why i can never seem to wakeup before 9. this will be my first night without meds, as my sleep meds make me incredibly depressed in the morning. all bad.
  • DerpyDiv
    DerpyDiv Posts: 4
    Options
    head's up... i quit my job. nobody should put up with the amount of abuse i was. i finally have TIME to do things in life. seriously, i couldn't even leave my phone anywhere. 24/7 i worked. oh thank god that hell is done. i can't believe i went to law school just for life to get worse, eh? i think i want to be a writer now.

ok, just an fyi. already losing weight now that i'm out of there.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am in Criminology and in one of my classes called policing and security they devoted a whole chapter to police officer stress coping techniques (pretty high stress job). Working out was one the points highlighted most. Youre asking how to fit in some exercises? Morning- right before work or when you get home. Since you cant wake up before 9, why not do a night work out? Even 20 minutes of something will help lower your stress level. Find a schedule that works for you and youll be fine.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi,,,welcome aboard. I also work in a stressed environment. Usually 9-11 a day. I , personally, dont care for the gym thing. I spent 100.00 on Craigslist and picked up an eliptical. I really like it. Im on it for at least 30 mins a day, usually 15 in the morning and 20 plus, at night,,,while the tv is on. Try and watch recorded shows so I can fast forward through the commercials, keep my mind busy on anything but, the "idea" that Im exercising. When I get up, out of my chair, at work,,,I walk quickly,,,,,to the ladies room, coffee pot, copy machine...whatever...I move. Couple of times a day,,,I get up and race from one side of the building to the next. I just try and keep moving. Its working,,,,so far.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I work ~60-70 hours/week at a desk in a notoriously high-stress profession. Put on a little over 40 pounds over the last decade or so. I can totally relate to the "I'm just too exhausted to do anything about it" mindset. This is your brain lying to you. Don't listen to it.

It takes a moderate amount if effort to track calorie consumption (assuming you use the MFP app), and if you did nothing but monitor and control that, you'd be 75% of the way home.

Getting to the gym requires a little more effort, but it's a great decompresser; kinda like TV only way more effective. So, 3 days a week (not coincidentally on the evenings when there's "nothing on"), I go to the gym on my way home at night. Sure, that means I don't eat dinner until after 9:30, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

I've only been at this a couple months now, so I certainly don't have all the answers, but so far, I love it and can't see myself turning back. Sure, for the first couple of weeks, it was a collossal PITA, but once I got settled into a rhythm, it just became part of the routine. Best part (for me, anyway) is the fact that the weight loss isn't the best part; while the weight loss is great, the best part is the way it helps me manage stress, have more energy, and generally have a brighter disposition. All of that was completely unexpected, but frankly, it's that part that's most likely to keep me going back.

OP: Read the above post. Then read it again. This is solid.
  • MarieG2023
    MarieG2023 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I make the time to exercise during the work week, even if it's only 20 minutes. During the weekends, I'll double my workout time at the gym.