Need Cardio/Strength DVD Recommendation

Options
so I'm on day 5 of the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and tonight I read this excerpt from an interview she did.

"Tell us about your new DVD, 30 Day Shred.
The DVD is designed as the exercise counterpart to my book Making the Cut. The idea is that it’s a 30-day program that’s designed to get you in the best shape of your life. So if you’re getting married, if you just had a baby, if you’re going to spring break, if you want to make your baby daddy jealous at the next parent-teacher conference because he left you for the secretary, that’s why I designed it. It’s not for the person with 100 pounds to lose. If you’ve got 100 pounds to lose, it’s not gonna be for you. You can have an intermediate level of fitness, because there is a level one and then level two and level three, level three being the hardest. But if you don’t work out, if you’re a couch potato, if you have a ton of weight to lose, then you need to go back to my old DVDs. It’s definitely about taking you to the next level."

my question is...what do you think is the best DVD for cardio and strength for someone 70+pounds overweight? I plan to finish the 30 day shred because seriously, it's better than nothing which is where I was last week, but I probably need more than 25 minutes a day. (I do find it challenging though)
thanks!
Brittany

Replies

• vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Here is a good website with TONS of exercise videos and they are all very well organized, described, rated, etc. and you can sort for what you are looking for.

http://www.collagevideo.com/

I personally like DVD's by Gin Miller, Gilad, and Michelle Dozois. I like high intensity, but don't like a lot of very complicated choreography where you have to memorize a lot of complex moves. I like simple stuff repeated over and over. But look at this website and you will find whatever you are looking for!
  • matt0401
    Options
    I'm a big fan of P90X. It's corny and funny, which keeps you interested. Their cardio video is incredible. It'll keep you going for about a 45 minute cardio + yoga section and you'll really feel it after. Plus you'll love the number you see when you plug in the exercise into the exercise log. :)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Look at Turbofire or Turbojam ( cardio) and /or Chalean Extreme - weight training. You can do any DVD to your own level- stopping when tired and going low impact. The important thing is that its something you enjoy. Look at YouTube for clips.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone and Kim Lyons are very beginner friendly. Their exercises are simple and gentle, and ease you into exercise. Leslie Sansone is a christian, though, and not all of her exercises warn you about that.

Once you are comfortable in those routines, you can step it up to Gilad. Again, very simple moves, but he'll work you a bit harder. That's where I am right now, with 41.7% body fat. You don't have to look like one of his models to benefit from his programs.

I don't know yet what I will do after Gilad, but I do know it will not be anything by Jillian Michaels. The woman barely conceals her hatred for us 'lesser mortals,' and has made some pretty absurd comments over the years. A lot of people love her and have had great success with her workouts, but I cannot share in their high esteem.

Collagevideo.com is the best place to start looking for the right videos for you. Video samples include just enough of the program for you to determine whether the level of intensity, choreography, etc is right for you. It helps to search by whatever you are looking to improve. I never would have found my Gilad DVD if I hadn't looked for "endurance." When I looked for step aerobics, I narrowed it to beginner and intermediate. Gilad is listed as advanced, but he is so much easier to follow than all of the bunny instructors who want you to spin around on your ankles!