What motivates you?

Options
I assume some of you out there are like me... and HATE to exercise!

While i'm very motivated in losing weight, and i'm doing pretty well through diet and just regular daily activities, I am starting to think that i really SHOULD exercise... i just don't want to, as I said, I HATE to exercise! I hate sweating and i find it to be sooo boring!

Even thinking about the results doesn't really cut it for me. I just think to myself that I can do it without "official exercising."

So my question is... what do you guys do to force yourselves to do it?

I wish everyone tons of luck in their weight loss journey!

Replies

• gponter79
    gponter79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi, my favourite exercise bar non is swimming. I joined a gym that have a nice small pool, steam room & jacuzzi. When i go it's almost great to use as a wind down. The steam rooms make you feel cleansed and cleans your skin out. The swimming is fairly non strenuous and you feel lively and fresh afterwards. I do force myself onto the gym equipment too but always look forward to the pool facilities afterwards.
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You just have to find something that you're interested in that gets you moving so it doesn't feel like torture. I try to mix up my workout everyday so I don't get bored.
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    Music music music!!! Load your ipod with motivating music that gets you moving.
    i hate working out in the gym, but i love my music. So by cranking up the volume on some tunes that really get me going i can easily get through a 45min work out without realising it! I just zone out after a while and get up to the beat of my music (usually something very fast!)
    i always find its really hard when i first get on a machine and i'm over it already and only a few mintues in, don't look at the time! or focus on minute to minute its less depressing! and before you know it your halfway through, and then your done!

if i didn't have my music to motivate me there would be no chance in hell i would work out in the gym!
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    true that holly.

music isn't what makes me go. What makes me go, is i'm going home in 89 days :) to see my wife who'm i havn't seen since 19December09. Plus we have a little girl on the way. I can only imagine how that diet plan is going to go when i get home. So i am going to try and hit my best weight hopefully around 190 if not 185.

I also swim once or twice a month, and box once a week.
    I hit cardio 45 minutes x3 a week with HIIT bout 25-30 minutes. Weight train once a week.

Plus there is softball twice a week now too- but its been raining here in korea.

but yea- all activities I love doing. I consider listening to music a hobby, so when I'm doing my 45 minutes of cardio, i'm really more so just listening to music because i'm cruising at 65% of my max heart rate....

chillin yo...chillin...
  • scotty_81
    scotty_81 Posts: 59
    Options
    Despite not running since school I really enjoyed the couch to 5k running program. Started doing it with my fiancé which motivated me because it meant we were spending quality time together. He injured himself though so now it's just me and the iPod loaded with the cheesiest happiest tunes I can find!

Good luck.
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    There are mornings where I'm just so not into going to the gym but I push myself to. Once I start that workout though, I am in the best mood ever! It makes me feel so good and I actually feel more energized when I'm done. Also, my motivation is myself. I know that exercise is what is going to help me improve. I do this for myself and no one else and that is all the motivation I need!! Good Luck, you can do it!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I want to walk across the stage at graduation and not feel self-conscious. I want my peers to realize there was a real person beneath all this fat.

Oh, and the clothes. :) I want to be able to go shopping at any store (minus all the plus-size stores, hahaha) and not just claim that an outfit is really cute on the mannequin. I want to put on that outfit and let it be cute on me!

That's all the motivation I need.
  • marvey1214
    marvey1214 Posts: 7
    Options
    Being able to wear pretty clothes motivates me. I went to shopping this afternoon and was very happy that I was able to wear a "Large" size now instead of XL. Totally motivates me to keep going.

Actually negative remarks can motivate me too, my brother always call me names. it was quite sad however it also gives me the "motivation" to attain my goal. I also pray that God could always give me discipline.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I totally feel you on the motivation. I have always had this issue, every time I start an exercise program I lose steam. Music is a big motivator (PS In the Jungle Groove by James Brown is about the best album to run to ever). I also have a picture of a very fit woman from Women's Health that is my motivation for what I want my body to look like (am I lame? Yes!!) that I have hung up near where my workout gear is.

Now that I have forced myself to workout for a consistant amount of time, I am motivated by the extra energy I have after workouts. Yeah, I put in an hour exercising 5 days a week, and at first I thought it took up alot of time. But now I find myself sleeping almost 2 hours less a night, so it is worth it.

A lot of other things too: I have always had bad skin but it has cleared up immensely since I have started working out and eating better. My boyfriend said I look the best I have in the 3 years we have been dating. My brothers on the east coast have started running too and we motivate each other with texts and e-mails.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! I hate going to exercise. Every time I think about the fact that I have to get up and go to the gym or do something, it seems like I lose even more energy for it.
    My motivation has been my boyfriend. We have been dating over a year and he's away for the National Guard. He's been gone this time since january. he had two weeks here for christmas and left to go back the first of this year and won't be able to come home until December. Just thinking about everything he's having to do and having him back here motivates me. When I was playing soccer, the only reason I finally got up to the two miles was because the entire time I was thinking of him and how I wanted to be able to tell him I accomplished it in our next letter. And yesterday I jumped from 30 minutes on the elliptical to an hour because I started blasting music that he had given me and thought of him the whole time. It seems I get through most of it with that motivation. I want to be in shape and we both want to be able to work out together when he is finally home. So I definitlely want to be able to do that and we both want to go backpacking across this place close to here when he's home and maybe one day in Europe and other places.

Sounds silly. But he's the one that keeps me motivated and the fact that he believes I can do it and encourages me everytime we talk as I try to do for him. :)
  • shannie_lou
    shannie_lou Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am like you! I actually hate to sweat-ha! I have found success with doing Leslie Sansone's walking videos-she is very motivating, positive and real! The workout is as intense as you decide you want it to be!
  • redbedhead
    redbedhead Posts: 53
    Options
    This might sound crazy, but i got a gift of personal training for my birthday. knowing how much my friends spent on that, and knowing that i will see that trainer 3 days a week makes me more willing to get the ncardio done, so as not to waste my friends money or the Trainers time.

It also helps that I am more able to exercise now that I have lost 160 pounds.
  • bttrflykisses820
    Options
    It makes me happy to see that you guys have found your motivation. I'll try blaring music and thinking of my boyfriend and the cute clothes... and post a picture of a fit girl in front of my elliptical and see where that gets me! lol

Congrats to all of you on your weight loss by the way!