Fruit Sugar - too much?

Options
I've started planning my diary for tomorrow, and when I eat as much fruit as I want (not excessive, probably 3 servings a day) I find that I always go over my sugar limit. Over 80% of my daily sugar comes from fruit. Is that any different than "normal" sugar? Should I calm it down with the fruit or is it ok to have extra sugar as long as it's natural?

Replies

• mintywank
    Options
    The natural sugar in fruit is fine. It dismays me to see people being put off certain fruits or fruit altogether due to the 'high sugar content' when fresh fruit is one of the healthiest things you can eat, and it should play a big part in your diet!
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are healthy. It's the refined sugar in ready meals and sweets/chocolate you have to watch out for. It's a shame MFP can't distinguish between the two...
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    It's fine as long as it's not ADDED SUGAR, which is refined sugar added to things like processed foods, desserts, juices, etc.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    U fine , mfp sets sugar too low and they forget that fruits contain mainly carbohydrates in the form of fructose (a type of sugar) ... ignore sugar unless u have blood sugar problems ... besides the body breaks down all carbohydrates into glucose
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Sugar is just a subset of carbs and, unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to track.

Even if you do track, it is intended to be re added sugars, not sugar naturally occurring in the food/drink as it is based on 'discretionary' calories - i.e. those you can 'splurge' on for things with no or little nutritional content.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are healthy. It's the refined sugar in ready meals and sweets/chocolate you have to watch out for. It's a shame MFP can't distinguish between the two...
    Sugar is sugar homey.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar homey.
    True story
  • TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I thought the very same thing when I started all this, but chose to ignore the sugar negative count and choose to just keep it underneath -100! I eat 3-5 items of fruit a day and couldn't live without, certainly not having any negative impact on my weight loss from what I can tell.
  • kelp99
    kelp99 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic or hyper/hypoglycemic I wouldn't worry about it.