30 day shred and running

Options
Hi

I am current;y training for the Manchester 10km at the end of May, at the moment I am comfortably running 5km 2-3 times a week and looking to build that up to 10km over the next few weeks. Partly for my own fitness but partly because I want to lost about a stone before I reach my dreaded 30th birthday in June.

Last year I used the 30 day shred on and off for about 6 weeks in the run up to a friends wedding and was really pleased with the results but haven't really touched it since. I did find that when I used it I was a bit achey at the start so my question is this -

Can I combine the 30 day shred with trying to up my running stamina, or will it be more of a hindrance than a help?

I was thinking of maybe running three nights and doing the shred to other 4 days?

Replies

• Sioned26
    Sioned26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm building up to 10 miles and doing 30DS so you should be fine. Perhaps if you have some pain and stiffness (increasing risk to injury) to you only do the DVD on the days you don't run. it will take you longer to complete the DVD but who cares? I run, spin and weight train but only on days when not doing shred.

You still need to have rest days though for your running recovery as for me the shred really destroys my calves. Extra streching will be needed!!!!

Good luck, I've done the Manchester 10k a few times, was really good fun. You probably only need to reach 8k in yoru training, the crowd will carry you the rest of the way.

If you go onto Asics website they have a really good run plan that can help with yoru structure around 30DS
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am building up to a half marathon in the autumn and at present am running 4 x week on treadmill, 2 x week on road and doing 30 Day Shred 5 days a week and Extreme S&S 2 days a week.
    I make sure I have one rest day a week from the running but I am fine and my stamina is great I do roughly 4-5k in a session but am working more on time 30 mins run.
    I am losing approx. 1.5 to 2 lbs a week and feeling great and I have to say my body was a bit sore to start but am getting used to it now and make sure I eat right and get plenty of sleep.
    Good luck.
    Jules
    PS Feel free to add me if you like.
  • whizzlers
    whizzlers Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wows - the same as me, I am doing a 10k in april before my dreaded 30th :(
    I didnt even think of doing shred alongside it - will you be doing on the days that you arent running? how many rest days will you have? xx
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd say no, you'd be doing very high impact exercise seven days a week. Low impact resistance/weight training would be better for improving your all-round fitness and preventing injury, and if you want to add other cardio, make it lower impact like swimming, rowing or cycling.

Edit: Don't forget to have a different goal for each running session. Say hills, sprints or fartlek in shorter runs during the week, and a gradually-increasing longer run at weekend.

Also, make sure you have a full rest day once a week, that's when your muscles and cardiovascular system recover and grow stringer :flowerforyou:
  • sastrodder
    sastrodder Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wows - the same as me, I am doing a 10k in april before my dreaded 30th :(
    I didnt even think of doing shred alongside it - will you be doing on the days that you arent running? how many rest days will you have? xx

The only reason I considered both was that sometimes although running helps me lose weight, I don't feel that I am particularly toning up from running and thought if I incorporated the shred, it might help!!

Having read the mixed responses (thanks to all) I'm thinking maybe I will carry on running 2/3 times a week and add the shred maybe twice and see how I go. I guess a lot of this is trial and error as well as personal preference. (As well as working full time I am also studying AAT at college two nights a week so the other consideration is not over committing myself!!)