I thought yesterday was rough - today is gonna suck!

Options
Yesterday I thought I made good choices when it came to intake. I could have had the Nachos that I wanted but I didn't. I've been doing well since I started this, REALLY started this on 8 Feb 13 @ 302lbs. 14 lbs in 17 days. I was loving it. I know there is typically a big loss in the beginning, water weight, and then it slows down.

Yesterday was my absolute hardest workout my trainer has given me. I sweat and hurt so much, my heart was pounding.... She pushed me so hard (thank you!) that we actually had to turn it down just a bit. I think she found my breaking point, kept me there for longer than I would have kept myself, then let me ease off just enough for me to control my breathing again. I think she's doing an amazing job with me. But last night was the first night I didn't have "fun". It hurt! --Short back story, I've been inactive from doing much of anything for just over 10 years. Bad motorcycle wreck and I went from very active to virtual couch potato. Any amount of real exertion, right now, is a lot for me.

So I'm happy with loosing 1.8lbs here, 0.5lbs there... I know I'm not going to be on this steady of a decline every day. But C'mon!!!! Yesterday was, in my eyes, my best day in a very long time in all areas. I get up this morning, sore as all hell, almost to the point of cursing her name as I try to get out of bed.... Take care of morning business and then up on the scale, can't wait to see my rewards this morning! It's going to be great! So proud of myself and REALLY looking forward to this particular weigh in.....

What?!?!?! Are you KIDDING me?!?!??!!? The first time in 17 days that frikkin scale didn't move!!! It did not move!?!?!?!?!

Talk about a killjoy motivation breaker. I'm going to be thinking about all that hard work I did yesterday and ZERO results. It's going to make today tough. I just don't get it....

Replies

• mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi

I think you can really overdo it on the exercise and put yourself off. Maybe take the exercise down a notch so that you don't wake up so sore. The scales will move again soon so don't lose heart.
  • Losemymanboobs
    Options
    No pain, no gain. You are not going to lose after each and every workout, but if you string a couple of weeks of these workouts together you will see the results!!! Chin up.
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Ok, first take a deep breath. Working out that hard can cause you to hold on to water. Also, you have dropped really fast. The body has to catch up to itself. You know you killed it in the gym and you made healthy food choices. Give yourself a break!! You are doing very well. You can do this. You will have days where the scale doesn't move and even days where it will go up. Weight loss is a crazy thing. So many things impact it. Sleep, water intake, sodium, the list goes on. Keep at it and the scale will go down again! Hang in there! You got your shrink on!!
  • Brandnewme150
    Brandnewme150 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That can happen with a really hard workout, especially if you are weighing yourself often. You are doing great just be patient and keep up all your hard work and you'll see the results. :)
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    "It took more than a day to gain it, It'll take more than a day to lose it." Congratulations on pushing your self to a new level! That's an accomplishment on it's own. Give it some time and after a few weeks you'll see the inches and pounds starting to drop :)
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Don't worry if the scale won't move every day, it might be as simple as usually you go to the bathroom before weighing in, this time you didn't. Also, focus on the other positives working out gives, such as you are getting in better shape, building muscle and all that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who weighs every day... You need to stop weighing every day!
    If you get that emotional and demotivated then put the scales away.

Up to a 3lb swing either way is normal for daily fluctuations. One of the triggers for seeing an increase is hard exercise. If it's hard enough to trigger an inflamatory response then you will retain water.

Need to focus on long-term goals and not expect progress every day - life and weight loss isn't like that.

As one injured biker to another - keep up the good work!
  • greenskpr
    greenskpr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Typically, after a very hard workout, and especially with weight training, your muscles will retain water and show that kind of result on the scale. Persevere. Your body will comply if you give it no choice. It always does. Good luck.
  • celb500
    Options
    Sore muscles retain water. That is why you havent lost. This is why we have rest days so our muscles can heal and the weight will come off, drink loads of water and it will fool your muscles into thinking that they dont have to retain the water they are holding.
  • kg4ulu
    kg4ulu Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    After a hard workout and you are sore, you will likely show a gain. Happens to me all the time. Your muscles are retaining water and healing. Just keep at it. Great job for pushing yourself. It is not always fun especially when you get your butt kicked by the trainer. But do you regret that workout? It's making you a stronger healthier person. Chin up :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dont weigh the day after a big workout!!!

weigh after a rest day to get an accurate reading.

if you feel sore, your muscles are retaining water to heal... so you will weigh more!

drink up and weigh tomorrow (presuming today is a rest day!)
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Just looked back at my exercise diary for when I was your weight a year ago having started at 373 on November 1 2011.
    Was happy to walk for an hour or be on exercise bike for an hour back then.
    It gets exponentially easier to exercise so the current "pain" is worthwhile but not sure you should push yourself this hard so soon.
    Now 210lbs with 9% body fat and fit for life.

Good luck nobody said it was easy.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles hold water. For me often 4 or 5 lbs. When your muscles stop hurting so much, you'll lose the water and weigh less. Don't let the play with your head. It's just water... Nothing more... Nothing less!

Zara:-)
  • sbatch43
    sbatch43 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    After a hard workout and you are sore, you will likely show a gain. Happens to me all the time. Your muscles are retaining water and healing. Just keep at it. Great job for pushing yourself. It is not always fun especially when you get your butt kicked by the trainer. But do you regret that workout? It's making you a stronger healthier person. Chin up :)
    Even while doing that workout and hurting through it, I was in good spirits and wanting her to push me. I KNOW I would not have pushed myself if I were home or alone in a gym somewhere. Shortly after the pain kicked in I would have been done. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm glad I have a trainer, for me it's working!!

She sent me a message about an hour after my workout telling me I did great. She saw the pain on my face and because of some of the injuries I have she she will change up the routine to work and area in a different way so I can work through the injury pain easier. I absolutely love that about her, she'll change it up for me without even telling me why abut I still target the same area and we don't miss a beat! I replied to her message, even though I was still sore as hell after I got home and showered that I was "ready for more!"

So you all think I should rest today instead fo doing "homework"? I go back to the trainer tomorrow night. My sessions are Monday and Wednesday nights. I feel like if I take a break I'm letting myself down or setting myself up for failure. My BIGGEST issue (aside from night time eating) is the "Go Factor" If I stop it'll take me forever to get up and Go again. --Last time I was in a gym was literally 10 years ago. The wife and I went every morning for 14 days, took 1 day off and never went back.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Resting today doesn't guarantee that you would lose weight tomorrow. You should pick a day once a week to weigh in while resting the day before. Your weight WILL NOT drop everyday (we all wish).

Edited to say you should definitely do your 'homework' today.

Good luck
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    also muscle weighs more than fat. you are building muscle, so pls take that into consideration. you are doing AWESOME.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Typically, after a very hard workout, and especially with weight training, your muscles will retain water and show that kind of result on the scale. Persevere. Your body will comply if you give it no choice. It always does. Good luck.

^^^ This. It'll get moving again :)
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    also muscle weighs more than fat. you are building muscle, so pls take that into consideration. you are doing AWESOME.

Oh lord not this again
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am learning that I cannot look to the scale for my motivation because if I do not see what I want to see then I give up I say forget it. This time around my satisfaction and reward has to come from knowing I am doing something great for my body. My Motivation is knowing I had a great day yesterday and if not yesterday then the day before and I want to repeat my great day. I am weighing once a week just to make sure I am on the right track. If you lost a pound with every workout I don't think this country would have such and obesity problem. try to Let your motivation and satisfaction come from the fact you are doing healthy things for your body.

Good Luck!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    For the first few weeks of new exercise program I did wayyyyyy too many walking lunges and could not walk down stairs!!! It passes and gets better.

Don't worry about weight gain - it is temporary. Keep up good work.