I'm new here and a new vegetarian any helpful tips?

Options

Replies

• keldav84
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian but i do eat a lot of quorn as when i did SW quorn was free so i know its good for any diet or healthy eating journey! Good luck :)
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm vegetarian too and back again to MFP! Let me know if you have any specific veggie questions? As a tip I would say that it's too easy for new veggies (and cheese lovers!) to rely on cheese! Although some is good as it has B12 - but so does marmite for less calories. Quorn is great and easy when you are on a diet but other easy things are houmous, tahini, lentil soup - chucking a few lentils in when you're making a tomato sauce...

Another tip is eat as wide a variety of foods as possible - hope that helps x
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for almost 3 years now. My biggest suggestions would be to concentrate on protein and iron. My favorite proteins are fage 0% greek yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter, almonds, california style protein bread (usually found in the freezer section), PlantFusion protein powder, edamame, soy milk & anything Gardein (Target & Publix have a great selection). I think iron is one thing a lt of vegetarians forget about. Some great iron sources are blackstrap moleasses, snow peas and sugar snap peas, fortified breads, oatmeal & Gardein products. Make sure to eat vitamin c with iron to help with the absorption (have strawberries with oatmeal, or cut up bell peppers with a Gardein burger, stuff like that). Feel free to add me or check out my diary for ideas.
  • Turquoisegal
    Turquoisegal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone some great tips for sure. I have had a big problem since i changed my diet. Sorry too get personal but i have had bad flatulence and bloating. I have not been regular @ all. It is really embarressing especially at work. I have tried anti-gas, and even went as far as laxatives just so i can go out in public lol! But nothing helps but for maybe a few hours. Im lost i'm sure its the veggies but seems my body would have adjusted by now. Its frustrating. Any ideas how too fix this problem?
  • rbneth
    Options
    Have you tried food enzymes? I like Trader Joe's Papaya and pineapple enzymes. They are pretty cheep, chewable and tast good. I try to eat them with most of my meals.
  • Turquoisegal
    Turquoisegal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I havent but i sure will thank you for the tip. Hope it helps:)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There are some veggie groups here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/62-happy-herbivores

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/236-mfp-vegetarians

What are your goals? It's hard to offer tips without knowing what your hoping to achieve. Assuming it's weight loss, make sure you get your protein in - the standard MFP settings are low for protein so dont be afraid to go over.

MFP is also set up so that you should eat back all the extra calories it credits you for exercise (and yes you will still lose weight this way, there is already a deficit calculated into your goal).
  • SexyPrettyMama
    Options
    Hi don't worry about getting certain foods in, just listen to your body, so far you're listening by turning vegetarian. Each individual has certain needs. I suggest loads of green leafy veggies to sweep you out.