What happen to my HRM?

Options
So I started going to the gym three-five times a week about two weeks ago using my Polar RS100. I try and keep my heart rate about 70% while working out and on most gym sessions (usually about an hour), I would burn close to 800 calories.

For some reason, over the past week I am having trouble getting it past 65%, even when I really push myself. I understand that my body may be getting used to the hard workouts, but when I am sprinting and literally out of breath and the monitor says 68% at max heart rate, it seems like something is wrong.

Could it be the battery? I haven't changed it since the purchase about 7 months ago, and I make sure it is in position on my chest at all times, but the reading hasn't seemed accurate over the past week.

Any ideas?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Good news/Bad news.

Increased fitness happens quickly. They call it Cardiovascular fitness because your cardiovascular systen is becoming more fit, and therefore doesn't have to work as hard to perform the same exercise.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Inability to elevate the heartrate can be a symptom of being too tired.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Check the warranty information and send it back. It may not be anything wrong with it but atleast you have that option. I have the Polar F4 PINK!!! and mine is still going strong.
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Inability to elevate the heartrate can be a symptom of being too tired.

Really? I've never heard of that. I am getting between 6-8 of sleep a night, so I am good on that front I think. I will see what happens tonight.
  • aggiebear95
    aggiebear95 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As said, being tired is one. Another, lack of hydration -- which was me last summer.
    Good Luck!
  • xunleashed
    Options
    I really think my body is getting in better shape. I was able to get it past 90% a couple of times last night when I REALLY pushed it (which makes sense since 90% is almost 100% :laugh:)

Burned a total of 1009 calories in about 75 minutes. Felt great!

Thanks everyone!
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Have you washed your chest strap ever? You need to do that! I wash mine all the time in cold water.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issues. I have 2 straps to my Polar FT4 and I noticed that one of them keeps cutting out and providing wrong readings. Watch your HRM and see if the number is jumping around too much. Most of the time my HR will increase slowly, like 76, 78, 79, 81, 82, 84...that sort of thing. When the battery is going it jumps like 68, 75, 64, 84, 110, 98....or if it take too long to find your HR then jumps 10 at a time.
    If that is happening, change out the batteries. Its not hard on the Polar models. The actual HRM will have a battery sign on it with how much juice you have but obviously the strap doesn't so that's the likely culprit.

Bad new too, What people are saying about burning less calories is true. When I first started working out I burned like 700-800 calories an hour and now I am lucky I get 600-700 with intense cardio. My heart rate used to hover around 170ish, now I am lucky if I get 155. Its part of getting fit. Being tired will make your HR go down too...
  • xunleashed
    Options
    I have had the same issues. I have 2 straps to my Polar FT4 and I noticed that one of them keeps cutting out and providing wrong readings. Watch your HRM and see if the number is jumping around too much. Most of the time my HR will increase slowly, like 76, 78, 79, 81, 82, 84...that sort of thing. When the battery is going it jumps like 68, 75, 64, 84, 110, 98....or if it take too long to find your HR then jumps 10 at a time.
    If that is happening, change out the batteries. Its not hard on the Polar models. The actual HRM will have a battery sign on it with how much juice you have but obviously the strap doesn't so that's the likely culprit.

Bad new too, What people are saying about burning less calories is true. When I first started working out I burned like 700-800 calories an hour and now I am lucky I get 600-700 with intense cardio. My heart rate used to hover around 170ish, now I am lucky if I get 155. Its part of getting fit. Being tired will make your HR go down too...

At least it's a sign that I am getting in shape!!