Alcohol and Calories

Options
Has anyone else decided to quit drinking alcohol because of the calories?

Replies

• heebiejeebie
    heebiejeebie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not quit - but cut down a lot. It's not the calories in the booze, it's the snacks I want afterwards that do damage!
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    I've definitely limited my intake, but not quit completely ... I still like my beer. However, when I do drink beer now, I typically have a Bud select 55 - only 55 calories per bottle. I haven't had any other type of drink though.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    No, I cut back though.

25 ml of vodka (56 cals) and Sprite Zero (0 cals). Makes me :happy:
  • jjensen100
    jjensen100 Posts: 1
    Options
    Not really...If I really want a drink at a gathering I usually will pick the new select 55 beer. It only has 55 calories.
    And I can usually have 1-2 without feeling guilty. If I know I am going out I will exercise an extra 1/2 hour.

Julie
  • Anna_15
    Anna_15 Posts: 22
    Options
    Not quit - but cut down a lot. It's not the calories in the booze, it's the snacks I want afterwards that do damage!
    Haha yeah! Straight from the club to McDonalds..... mcnuggets are my weakness after drinking :smile:
    25 ml of vodka (56 cals) and Sprite Zero (0 cals). Makes me happy

That's the plan for tomorrow night! (Maybe even two, three... well I have been doing these exams for what seems like months!!)
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Pretty much. I rarely drink. I dont like the way I feel afterwards, I feel wore out. Im 23 so my friends drink a lot lol, so I will have some red wine once in a whillle :)
  • hattieclark
    Options
    YES! ha with a beer being about 250 cals i can only afford to have one if i actually want to eat :(
    But i now drink a vodka or white spirit (about 50cals) with diet coke/lemonade - i can get away with having a couple then!!!

Forget putting the prices up or the drinking age up - put calories on there!! That would put a fair few people off!
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I had some dragonberry rum with diet sierra mist this weekend. I have to say I did not enjoy it as much as I used to. I kept thinking about the wasted calories! Just two ounces of the rum is 156 calories. So for me it's not worth it.

However... I wonder if I like vodka! LoL I might try it sometime.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Not quit either, just cut down and make sure on the days I have a beer I still stay in my calorie range. Hummm, find myself working out more before so I can spare more calories, now what does that say, :drinker:
  • SayRah
    SayRah Posts: 104
    Options
    I've definitely cut back. My rule is that I am only going to drink Friday and Saturday nights, at a social event. Not only will this help me lose weight, it will prevent me from drinking alone :P
  • bobspdx
    bobspdx Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't stopped. I have cut down tremendously. I only allow myself a glass or two of wine on one weekend night.
  • melch
    melch Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I found a great drink at the weekend whilst at a wedding vodka, lime juice and soda water with ice - really yummy and very refreshing and I didnt have the urge to snack which I do when I have a beer or wine ... gets my vote ! lol
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I don't drink as much as I used to, but even then it was social drinking....now if I'm at a party, an MGD 64 or bud select 55, sometimes a lite lime will do, but I really try limiting them, not so much because of the calorie intake, but the fact it really slows your system down, dries you out, and just makes ya feel like garbage the next morning
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    You've GOT to be kidding me :laugh: :noway:

I agree with heebiejeebie - it's not just the alchohol, it the munching it leads to...:bigsmile:

Sue
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I had some dragonberry rum with diet sierra mist this weekend. I have to say I did not enjoy it as much as I used to. I kept thinking about the wasted calories! Just two ounces of the rum is 156 calories. So for me it's not worth it.

However... I wonder if I like vodka! LoL I might try it sometime.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Vodka (unflavored) doesn't really have a taste. Oh you taste it but it's not like whiskey, rum, gin as far as taste, it fairly tasteless.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I too had to cut back, but it is so hard during the summer cuz nothing is better than a ice cold one on the boat!! It definately sabbotages the weight loss tho!!
  • maz123
    maz123 Posts: 63
    Options
    i love just one or 2 WKD blues with a glass of ice. So refreshing but like 256 calories or something like that. vodka just doesnt do the same. maybe thats why im at a plateau...............dunno cud i do without it helps me over a hard week and without it i might:sad:
  • LOVESFITNESS
    Options
    Chardonnay is the way to go its only 90 cals for 8 oz and its so relaxing. Its a pick me up when im unwinding for the day and having a bubble bath or a social gathering, it puts a smile on my face.
  • gardenlili
    gardenlili Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I now measure my wine to match 1 serving and I have really reduced how much Coke Zero because I saw how much sodium was in it. I now go for iced water and iced tea when I am hot.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I cut back to where I only drink on the weekends OR if it is a special ocassion. That makes me sound like a lush but typically I would have one glass of good wine every evening.