If you don't mind, I'm going to blow my own trumpet!

Options
Not the kind of person to do so, bit of an introvert, not shy per say but quiet, lacking in confidence. Anyway I'M SO BLOODY PROUD OF MYSELF!

Beginning of January I decided I wanted to lose weight, no real plan. My motivation, I'm 50 next year and I just want to feel better about myself at this milestone in my life. I started by not taking sugar in my tea after doing so for 40+ years. I decided I'd refrain from eating bars and bars of chocolate or any cakes/biscuits in the evening time. Then I started with the Couch25K programme 7 weeks ago and still going strong (want to run a 10K event in October). I joined MFP soon after with a little trepidation/skepticism. I had this thought in my head "just another fad thing". I was sooooo wrong. I love logging my food diary and keeping track of what I eat, which I have to say is pretty much what I've always eaten but seeing it all in the diary helps me make better informed choices on a day to day basis. Also, the friends who support me are just amazing too.

The results show for themselves. I've managed to lose 22lbs or 10kg or 1st 8lb (depending on your preferred measure) in 8 weeks. My initial target was to lose the extra pounds I was carrying by May next year (my birthday) but I seem to be ahead on that. I'm going to carry on doing what I'm doing and see where I am next May. I may plateau at some point but that doesn't worry me. I'm in this for the long term and my body (and clothes) will decide where I'm most comfortable with my weight.

I really want to add strengthening exercises to my regime but I've no idea about such stuff. I have bought myself some 0.5kg hand weights and there's a leaflet with them showing exercises, so I'll focus on those for now. I had a look at the 30 day shred programme some weeks ago and I couldn't do any of it. Perhaps I'll work on this in the future. For now I'm going to finish the C25K programme and then see where my journey takes me.

MFP community is amazing, couldn't have done it without you :flowerforyou:

Replies

• loudgls89
    loudgls89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Way to go! That's brilliant in 8 weeks, keep it up :drinker:
  • cupboard_stalker
    cupboard_stalker Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    And proud you SHOULD be!

Congrats for the amazing progress and the amazing attitude. Very inspirational, well done you!
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You blow that trumpet my friend!!!! And so you should, well done :flowerforyou:
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Nothing wrong with blowing your own trumpet! I do, in fact I went around yesterday telling anyone who would listen that I had lost 1 stone (14 lbs) in 4 weeks. It's a very small amount compared with my target but it still made me feel good.

Congratulations, and keep it up :happy:
  • gwangjujulie
    Options
    Well done you, thats such great work on your part :happy:
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well done - that's absolutely brilliant and a lovely motivating story x
  • dietingdanni
    Options
    Its a good thing to be proud of yourself, it means your starting to like yourself and feel you achieving something, good for you!
  • Port47
    Port47 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Blow that trumpet loud and clear.I am sooooo proud of you :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You have the perfect attitude for success...so I have no doubt you'll accomplish your goals! Congrats on taking off the weight and just keep doing what you're doing.
  • AngieD2203
    AngieD2203 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, and why shouldn't you allow yourself some self praise!!!
    Have a look on u tube at some fitness, they do free videos on there, and some of them are very inspirational!!
    You go girl!!!
  • missbrie11
    missbrie11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You should be blowing your own trumpet! That's absolutely fantastic. You're so motivational to others, and I'm so happy you're reaching your goals. Way to go :)
  • sacha_1987
    sacha_1987 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Well done you :flowerforyou:
  • kkgriggs
    kkgriggs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! keep it up.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If anyone is entitled to blow their own trumpet, it is you! :flowerforyou:

Great job and keep it up! I'm not sure if you'd be interested in any of the exercises, but The Firm is a company that does a lot of cardio/strength type workouts with hand weights. I have 2 of their dvd's and they're a lot of fun and not quite as tough as 30DS... I actually look forward to them (most of the time)!

Good luck to you!
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    you deserve to blow your own trumpet!
    Well done!!!:drinker: