Lifting heavy? Woman - advice please

Options
I have just started lifting

I currently do 12 reps for 3-4 sets, on starting weights

should i lift heavier for shorter reps or lower for more reps?

Replies

• Maryt1961
    Maryt1961 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I think it's lift heavier with lower reps for more bulk, lower weight more reps for lean. But even the lower weights have to give some resistance or its not going to do much anyway. There are others here who are much more knowledgeable than me, but I think that's the generalization. And of course correct diet as well
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    See i still want to loose weight not just drop inches/cm. so I am not sure what to do, i eat at 1400 / day, i have muscle in most places its just hidden under fat :cry:
  • genglish1
    genglish1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Higher reps don't lean/tone muscles. That's one of the biggest myths in bodybuilding. Your muscles get leaner when you do.

If you want to lose inches you need to lose fat. Simple as. So to slim down keep lifting and keep eating fewer calories than your body needs.

Your rep scheme is all based on your goals. If you're looking for strength, you should be lifting heavier weights with lower rep ranges. If you're looking for hypertrophy then you should be looking at higher rep ranges.
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    Higher reps don't lean/tone muscles. That's one of the biggest myths in bodybuilding. Your muscles get leaner when you do.

If you want to lose inches you need to lose fat. Simple as. So to slim down keep lifting and keep eating fewer calories than your body needs.

Your rep scheme is all based on your goals. If you're looking for strength, you should be lifting heavier weights with lower rep ranges. If you're looking for hypertrophy then you should be looking at higher rep ranges.
    hypertrophy - what is this?
  • genglish1
    Options

Haha, sorry. It's basically a fancy bodybuilding term for size.
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    ok i dont want to be big i want to be strong but lean
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Trophy in the body means growth.

Muscle growth come from rep ranges 8-12 for a lot of people altho studies I've shown that going to failure at around 20-25 can be just as conducive.
  • ClairBears84
    Options

nooooo dont want to have bigger muscle want to preserve what there is and get strong and lean
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I would recommend reading New Rules of Lifting for Women and/or Starting Strength. Even if you do not follow the program it will give you a good foundation of knowledge and understanding about lifting and nutrition.

You will not get "big" unless you eat at a calorie surplus (i.e. above maintenance/TDEE) for an extended period of time and/or take steroids. Women cannot get bulky without trying very hard to do so.

There is also lots of good information for beginners to lifting in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    heavier with reps of between 4-8 - builds strength and as your eating in a calorie deficit will burn fat
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

nooooo dont want to have bigger muscle want to preserve what there is and get strong and lean

This is not going to happen however heavy you lift as you are only eating 1400 cals.
  • DostThouEven
    Options

5-8 rep range would be good
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Sounds like for what you want to do you should be in the 4-8 rep range/set.

Though 12 reps per set is good for building muscle, you also need a caloric surplus for that. and as a woman it is hard to bulk up even in a surplus with plenty of protein due to the low levels of testosterone.
  • genglish1
    Options

This is not going to happen however heavy you lift as you are only eating 1400 cals.

This is true. only 1400 calories a day isn't going to get anyone big.

Then again, I'll never understand why women are afraid of gaining muscle.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My goal is to continue to lose body fat and maintain the muscle mass that I have. I currently lift as heavy as I can manage while still keeping good form for 4 sets of 8-12 reps. Some exercises and/or sets I can only manage 8 reps and some I can do 12. I always make sure it is as challenging as I can do while still doing it properly. I eat at a 250 calorie deficit per day and I have seen my body fat dropping slowly but steadily and my muscle mass going up slowly but steadily as well.

I am trying to maintain my weight but redistribute the way I look. I have been doing this for 4 months now. It's a slow process, but definitely worth it for me.

My advice would be to definitely try to challenge yourself with your weights and to lift barbells/ free weights if possible instead of the machines. I saw much better results when I switched to heavier weights and barbells/free weights. I don't think that I am bulky at all.

Good luck and great job on choosing to start lifting! :-)
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    ok i dont want to be big i want to be strong but lean

WIll not happen.

The rule of thumb is heavy weights, small sets for strength and lighter weight, more reps for growth and endurance. But as a female it's almost impossible for you to get "bulky" as you lack sufficient quantities of the required hormone Testosterone to do so. Also unless you are new to strength training, or have taken a very long break from it, you will not build muscle at a calorie deficit.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I second reading New Rules of Lifting for Women. It has you start out with 2 sets of 15 reps for 5 or 6 different exercises that you do 3X per week. Eventually you reduce reps and increase # of sets and weights and switch up exercises over 6 months. The nutrition part of the book guides you on how to eat to lose fat and provides lots of recipes.

I finished the book and did my first workout last night and it was amazing! It was pretty awesome being back in the weights section with the big boys :) I'm really looking forward to my next workout tomorrow. Give it a shot! I think the book was like $12-15 on Amazon.
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    Thanks, I know that I wont get bulky and I am definitley not scared of building muscle, i just don't want too much muscle, I have alot as it is, i dont want to make those bigger I just want to keep them while loosing weight.

I think i shall up my weight and drop my rep and give that a go?

Does this sound like a good plan?
  • PhoenixJR
    PhoenixJR Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I think it's lift heavier with lower reps for more bulk, lower weight more reps for lean. But even the lower weights have to give some resistance or its not going to do much anyway. There are others here who are much more knowledgeable than me, but I think that's the generalization. And of course correct diet as well

This is not true. Lifting low weight for more reps does nothing. Lift heavy for low reps. As a woman, you do not have enough testosterone to "bulk up". I am a woman who lifts heavy and I do not look bulky.
  • ClairBears84
    Options

This is not true. Lifting low weight for more reps does nothing. Lift heavy for low reps. As a woman, you do not have enough testosterone to "bulk up". I am a woman who lifts heavy and I do not look bulky.

Thank you, I am not worried about being bulky i know this is a myth and you need to eat ALOT to do this, I think i should change to higher weight and lower reps