Couch to 10K in 10 Weeks

Options
I have 10 weeks to train to run a 10K. ( the Nike+ Human Race) I have never run before, but my boss wants me on her "beginners" team - Any advise? I am anxoius to do this because I have not been able to motivate myself to do much exercising and I think this might just do the trick to get me going.

Replies

• dogwdots
    dogwdots Posts: 146
    Options
    I have 10 weeks to train to run a 10K. ( the Nike+ Human Race) I have never run before, but my boss wants me on her "beginners" team - Any advise? I am anxoius to do this because I have not been able to motivate myself to do much exercising and I think this might just do the trick to get me going.
  • VanessaC
    VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi Dogwdots,
    I just found a website that sounds perfect for you. It's actually called The Couch-to-5K Running Plan. I myself just started it and have actually only done one workout of the plan but the feedback I recieved from others when I mentioned it was great. Here is the link http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml Good luck to you. I'm sure we can both do it.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    10 weeks ouch, that might be a bit rough. My advice, from a person who has run in school and has been a runner for over 17 years, take it slow. If/when you do run the 10K make sure you have good running shoes (don't just go to a sporting goods store, spend the extra 40 bucks, and go to a running store where they will actually fit your foot to a type of shoe), then go to runnersworld.com and check out the link (at the top) labeled "BEGINNERS". That will help with breathing, stride, workouts...etc. Just make sure to listen to your body, if something starts to hurt, stop, rest, and SLOWLY get back into it, if it continues, seek advice from a physical therapist or doctor (generally a therapist is better because they are more in tune with orthopedic issues, where as doctors may take the "cure all" approach and just say "no more running!")

Hope this helps,

-Steve
  • dogwdots
    dogwdots Posts: 146
    Options
    Thanks - I am going to be getting and breaking in some new shoes this weekend by starting with walking. I have found a couple of sites that show to alternate with walking for a few minutes and running for a few minutes and gradually increase to more running and less walking with alternate days of cross training or just walking as a rest day. The cool runnings is a good site.

I know it is a lofty goal, but how does the saying go?
    "Reach for the stars and you may land on the moon"
    At any rate - it will get me disciplined to get moving everyday with a rest day on Fridays. I think I can complete that goal today (LOL)

Thanks again - if you come across anything else - please let me know.