Is it normal to gain weight with exercise?

Options
Hi all,

I've been dieting very successfully since the beginning of the year and have been steadily losing weight. I'm down 7 pounds ytd. Friday I started adding exercise to the mix and I haven't really changed my diet, still at the 1000 calorie deficit that MFP gives me, plus a few more calories to compensate for the exercise.

My weight has shot up 3 pounds per day! Is this normal?! I'm very close to being back to where I started, erasing all of my January gains. I hope this is just part of the process because it is very discouraging to think that exercise is hindering me and not helping me.

Help!

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You're body is likely retaining fluid while it works to repair muscles from exercising. It's temporary and I will go away. It's annoying to see the scale go up, but it's not an actual gain per se. Just give it some time...
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    yes very normal, don't give up.. it will come off very soon.
  • gumpfanatic
    Options
    Thanks! That makes me feel better. I hope to see it come back down soon!
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes! I gained since starting Insanity but I am not concerned. Just stick with it.
  • AngelHeart1986
    Options
    Same thing has happened to me this week! Glad to know I'm not alone and that it is normal. Stupid scale!! :)
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I always gain when I start exercising. It takes me a few weeks to go back to normal.
  • lastinlineforlunch
    Options
    You also need to take into consideration muscle weighs more than fat but yes it's probably water retention. I stop drinking water n hour before I weigh/start working out.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    No muscle does not weigh more than fat - it takes up less space.

Yes it could be water retention from the newly started exercise.

If you are doing everything right (including drinking plenty! of water) then don't worry about it. If you keep going up for the next weeks then look into your diet.

Have you looked at this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Blood carries nutrients to the injured parts to repair. Blood is water. Water weighs 1g per 1cc. Thus an entire body repaired will add a good few pounds of water, esp leg days.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Yep, very normal. Hang in there! It will come off...I promise. :smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes it is normal to gain when starting a new exercise program. the muscles store what to protect them and aid in recovery.

That being said with the amount you have to lose a 1000 cal/day deficit is much too large. With less than 40 lbs to go you should be set to lose 1lb/week (500 cal/day deficit) then switch to 0.5lbs for the last 15 or so.
  • chickpeas1
    chickpeas1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started the 30DS 7 days ago, 5 days in I'd gone up 7 pounds!!! Today I jumped on the scales to monitor it and the 7 pounds has gone. Must be water weight :)
  • michaelwear7
    Options
    You're doing great and don't get discouraged. The two key things have been said. Water retention is totally normal and give it a couple days and watch how it will start to reverse itself if not speed up your loss. Also depending on the type of activity, you could be building muscle which will add some weight. While losing weight, I tend to focus mainly on cardio and back it up with core lifting and doing low weight and high reps to tone instead of put on mass.

Your body will naturally fluctuate. I find mine will go up a pound or two a day or two and then drop 3 a couple days later. Just ride the waves! :) Also if you don't always do the weigh in at the same time each day.