Why am I not losing any weight?

Options
I need some help and some tips as to why I am not losing any weight!

I started my diet Monday, February 11. So I am starting my third week. My starting weight was 157 pounds and I am 5'3. After two weeks I had lost 3 pounds and I was very happy but after weighing myself I gained a pound back. So after 3 weeks I weigh 155. Here is my daily intake/outtake:

My total calories is supposed to be 1,322. I exercise daily. 30-45 minutes of cardio, 10 minutes of weight lifting and 10 minutes of ab work outs. According to my treadmill/bike/pedometer app I burn around 400-500 calories daily (I know those aren't that accurate but I can't afford a heart rate monitor yet but I'm looking into it) so my calorie outtake is anywhere between that give or take.
I eat healthy three meals a day and after food is all entered plus my workout I usually am at 800-900 calories. I know that's not enough but that's subtracting my calories burned. And I know I'm eating enough. Here's the general gist of my meals:
Breakfast: egg or biscuit or bagel thin
Lunch: turkey and cheese sandwich, yogurt, fruit, and a few pretzels
Dinner: type of chicken/veggie meal usually.

I really feel like I'm doing everything right so why am I not losing weight?

Replies

• dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You're averaging .5-1 lb per week. That's good, healthy and sustainable weight loss. Stop weighing yourself weekly, that'll drive you nuts. I weigh in 2 times a month.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Your expectations are out of whack.

Weight loss is not linear, and scale weight is based on several factors, many of which can easily mask actual progress you're making.

Be more patient. Take measurements and pictures. Go by what you see in the mirror, how clothes are fitting, what the measurements say, and how you feel on a day-to-day basis. Don't worry so much about what the scale says.
  • donnamariewilliams
    Options
    Sometimes it is water retention. I started retaining water when I was in my 50's. Bagels, biscuits, lunch meat, cheese and pretzels have a lot of sodium. Drink a lot of water and try cutting down on the sodium. Are you tracking sodium? That helps keep me on track with that. Also mix it up with both your meals and exercise. Change what you eat and how you exercise. And last try incorporating protein. Don't get discouraged. If you keep on track, you will lose.
  • samanthasimps0n
    samanthasimps0n Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    consistency is key. i agree with some of the other posts - be patient, stay positive, continue eating healthy and working out and weight loss will come :)
  • traceytmoore
    traceytmoore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights, you may be gaining some muscle...muscle weighs more than fat. Check the content of your yogurt - you don't want added sugars, try Greek, as they have more protein. Eat protein after you lift weights. You are a small person, so it will be more difficult for the scale to show your progress...also, what it your age...that can play a big factor. Make sure you're not getting "hungry" as your metabolism drops when you feel hungry...if so, add a protein snack. I agree with the above post...make sure you're drinking plenty of liquids...tea/lemon water, etc...
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I would say try several weeks netting 1322, with eating your exercise calories back like you're supposed to, because netting 800-900 calories will cause you to stall out. But, you've already insisted you know you're eating enough so I'm not sure how receptive you'll be to the idea.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    #1 - when you start a new program, especially with exercise, it may take a few weeks to see much progress. And you've already lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks, that's 1.5 lbs per week average. Not shabby at all. You may just need a big dose of patience.

#2 - If you're only netting between 800 and 900 calories a day (after subtracting exercise), sorry, you're probably not eating enough. I'm all of 5 feet tall, and I lose well netting almost twice that. Looking at your daily intake, you can add more fruits and vegetables, more lean protein, and more whole grains (ie, breakfast could be an egg AND a slice of whole wheat bread, not either-or). You can also add snacks in between, such as an apple or banana, carrot sticks, or something. In my experience, lack of macro nutrients (calories, protein, carbs, fat) or lack of micro nutrients (vitamins, phytonutrients, minerals) can stall out weight loss.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Really, into week 3 and complaining you've only lost 2 lbs...what are you expecting?

Netting 800-900 daily is not enough food.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Toddlers eat more than 800 calories a day. You are not enough enough.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights, you may be gaining some muscle...muscle weighs more than fat. Check the content of your yogurt - you don't want added sugars, try Greek, as they have more protein. Eat protein after you lift weights. You are a small person, so it will be more difficult for the scale to show your progress...also, what it your age...that can play a big factor. Make sure you're not getting "hungry" as your metabolism drops when you feel hungry...if so, add a protein snack. I agree with the above post...make sure you're drinking plenty of liquids...tea/lemon water, etc...

^^That has a bunch of bad information. 1 lb = 1 lb, muscle or fat. Sugar alone won't make you gain weight. Studies are inconclusive about timing of protein vs timing of workout. Being small doesn't impact accuracy of the scale. Your age can be a factor due to muscle loss as you age, but it isn't necessarily a bigger factor than your calorie intake vs calorie burn. Your metabolism doesn't drop when you are hungry.

My advice: Calculate your TDEE and BMR. Take a modest cut from TDEE and eat that every day. Eat 1 g protein per 1 lb LBM and 0.35 g fat per 1 lb of body weight. Measure BF%, inches, take pictures to help measure progress because the scale won't tell you everything. 2 lb in 3 week IS losing weight.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Eat, child, eat.

If you don't feel hungry, it is because you have stopped listening to your body, not because it isn't asking for more!

Add some cheese to your breakfast sandwich, have some nuts for a snack, add oil to your dinner. There. I just made up for your workout calories. You can thank me when you are feeling better.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Why not? General health issues aside, the OP asked about weight loss. Why does fewer cals /= weight loss?
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Oh god. My head asplode. Scanners-style.

2 pounds in 3 weeks is FINE.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Why not? General health issues aside, the OP asked about weight loss. Why does fewer cals /= weight loss?

1) Those general health issues are not something to be set aside. That's actually a serious and dangerous issue.

2) You can and will lose weight, generally, on extreme low-cal diets. It also makes it a recipe for disaster when you start eating normally, as the body goes "OMG FOOD MUST HAVE IT ALL!" after having been (at that calorie count, medically) starved for so long. The return to healthy eating will pile on massive pounds and health problems.

Unless one intends to keep eating 800 calories a day for life. In which case, they won't live long.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I usually am at 800-900 calories. I know that's not enough

you answered your own question... net your calorie goal with plenty of protein and fruit & veg, keep up the exercise and you will lose weight!

patience is also important!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    As most people have and will mention, this is a reasonable pace for weight loss.

I will mention that that 1322 number should be your goal. Eat that AND what you burn from exercise. Explanations on the boards abound as to why you should do this (I recommend starting with the beginner threads noted on the forums' main page) but the short reason is, it's NOT good to try to fuel yourself on 8-900 calories a day.
  • Bobbie63
    Bobbie63 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm not losing any weight either, in fact, I have gained up to 6lbs and dropped and gained, but really no real weight loss. Im not staring at the scale constantly and I have been very good for weeks, and then go bad, and eat 4 muffins on a cheat day..but all in all, I'm eating much healthier than I was a year ago, and less calories, better food, cooked, not processed. I eat eggs and cheese and milk and toast and peanut butter, not a mccrappys egg something. The one good thing I am doing consistently is every day, 5 days a week (minus a few days we missed) going to the pool at 6 am and exercising. Im not swimming per say, but was doing aerobics, now I spend 30 minutes doing weights, stretches and leg exercises in the pool and then 30 minutes of walking/running/biking in place in the deeper end to try and get the cardio up and improve stamina. I feel a million times better, we have been at the pool almost 2 months and this week I am going to add in a brisk walk once a day also, but...dang, I really need to drop some weight. Now, my goal is to be in much better shape by my birthday at the end of November so, I know that gives me time, and if I work each day then when my deadline comes I will have certainly accomplished something. That being said....I want to lose 20lbs to just see some results. :(
  • cmadge3254
    cmadge3254 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There is a new HR strap by polar the H6 that trasmits straight to your phone. Its $60 worthy investment instead of many other HR that are between 150-300
  • brookrd1
    brookrd1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Stay encouraged :-) you have received some good advice. You can do this, you are doing this :-). One of the things in addition to some of the comments you received so far that has helped me, I end my eating earlier in the evening :-).
  • etruxell
    etruxell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks to those who are helping. I will try eating more its just weird because I am barely eating less then before my dieting. I am eating better tho. I just feel weird every night because I feel stuffed. I will start snacking trough out the day now with more veggies and fruits and cereal bars.
    I didn't ask for rude responses, I've never dieted before and unsure of how to do it. That's why i came on here. I just expected to have lost more thats why I was becoming discouraged. But I suppose 2 pounds In 3 weeks is good. Since I am over weight and never really exercised/dieted before I honestly thought the weight would start "dropping".