Really?

Options
So I had a bad weekend. Ate and drank way too much and didn't exercise, but could I really be up 4 lbs since Friday? It is really discouraging to see the scale go up and not down! Is it just water weight and sodium and will go back down in a few days. I was expecting to be up one or two, but 4! Really? Is that even possible?

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    So I had a bad weekend. Ate and drank way too much and didn't exercise, but could I really be up 4 lbs since Friday? It is really discouraging to see the scale go up and not down! Is it just water weight and sodium and will go back down in a few days. I was expecting to be up one or two, but 4! Really? Is that even possible?

Not unless you overate by 14,000 calories. Probably just some extra water weight.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Is it just water weight and sodium and will go back down in a few days.

Yes.
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've had that weekend too and it'll come down. Just don't be sucked into the evil vortex of hopelessness.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    when this happens to me, I usually up how much water I drink on Monday to try to flush some of the excess sodium out of my system. after about 24hrs of getting back on the wagon, my weight is back to normal.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    ..could also be fat gain lets be real. and if you have been restricting cals for an extended period of time, any amount of surplus will greater affect the body in terms of weight gain because of your slowed metabolism.
  • TammyKeaten
    TammyKeaten Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ..could also be fat gain lets be real. and if you have been restricting cals for an extended period of time, any amount of surplus will greater affect the body in terms of weight gain because of your slowed metabolism.
  • TammyKeaten
    Options
    but 4 lbs? Is it really possible to gain that?
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My body reacts very badly when I go over on sodium. Also pretty much any time that I eat out ( I usually cook at home). I can go up anywhere from 2-3 pounds and it takes almost a week to get it back down. I can tell when it is sodium bloat because my ring will be tight and the weight will appear out fo nowhere.

I think that it would be highly unlikely that you would gain 4 pounds over a weekend unless as someone else said you went over your TDEE by 14,000 calories.

We all have our slip ups. Not a big deal. Your scale will go back down. Keep logging (even if it is bad) and you will see the changes.
  • TammyKeaten
    Options
    Thanks all! It makes me feel better! I will drink lots of water and continually log and exercise and hopefully it will go back down in a few days!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    yeah, its just temporary weight.

I went over SIGNIFICANTLY (on purpose, but way overdid it!) on Saturday watching the UFC fight. I ate a total of 6,880 calories and my sodium was 9,263! After 3 days of flushing out my system by drinking a lot of water, I am back to my weight on Friday morning.

One day is not going to kill you unless you have days like that more than you should. That was the first time I was over like that in about a year. I tend to be really strict regularly, so days like that actually HELP me since it kinda shocks my system (broscience alert!!!!!)
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I went out of town this past weekend and did the same thing- Monday's weigh in showed up 4 1/2 lbs! I drank a lot of water yesterday and stayed just under my goal and 2 1/2 lbs are gone already. It's ok! Some may be true gain, maybe a pound, but we can knock it off quick :)
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I go up and down 4 pounds in a day, don't stress.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    same thing happens to me "(
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you have been eating and exercising good for a while, and pick right back up with it I wouldn't worry. You'll probably see the increase drop quickly. Just don't throw all your hard work out the window!
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Yes. You'll be ok. I have the same issue.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,232 Member
    Options
    but 4 lbs? Is it really possible to gain that?

Yes. I "binged" for my b-day last Thursday (and by "binge", I sadly only made it to maintenance-pitiful as binges go). I "gained" 6 lbs Friday am. I am still holding on to 2 (1 less than yesterday though). They will go away. Sometime.