Alcohol and Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Basically, yeah. I have never been a big drinker but I like the occasional glass of wine with dinner or a beer on the patio in the summer. However, these days it just isn't worth the calories. I would rather have chocolate or some ice cream as a treat as that is much more to my liking than alcohol.
  • mermaid2010
    Options
    Think after my hols im going to try and give alcohol up as i only really enjoy Baileys.Must be the most fattening drink ever.So going to go tetotal for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a ifference to the weight loss. :smile: :smile:
  • mclark1588
    mclark1588 Posts: 28
    Options
    I still have my glass of red wine in the evening after work.
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Vodka, soda water and a lime. Light, refreshing and only calories are vodka.

During the first few weeks of trying to loose weight I have cut all alcohol. Helps cut out a TON of empty calories and makes me feel good to want to go out and exercise every day (plus no late night munchies!!). Once my tolerance drops down a bit and I'm on a more regular workout and eating plan, I'll slowly introduce a drink here and there. If drinking is something you enjoy, you shouldn't completely deprive yourself (that's how and why diets fail). All things in moderation :)
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    Not quit - but cut down a lot. It's not the calories in the booze, it's the snacks I want afterwards that do damage!

100% Agree!!!!!
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    No, but I have cut back in a huge way!
    I live in the Middle East and the social scene here is all about alcohol and eating... the ex pats lifestyle and parties are pretty wild! And I thought I'd seen it all living in London for 15 yrs!

I've had to give up the Mojito's tho... they are a killer! I had 3 last weekend at dinner and it was only when I went to do the calorie count on here that I realised 3 of them came to 450 calories!!!

So, it's back to the odd glass of champagne, or vodka and diet coke, vodka, lime and soda!!
  • amasot
    amasot Posts: 86
    Options
    I don't drink. I quit 30 years ago and I don't even like alcohol any more. On the other hand, if I'm with company on a nice summer evening, I will drink a beer, a glass of wine or some ouzo. I might even drink a cocktail if I'm at a bar. The point is, I don't believe in denying yourself anything, only inbeing reasonable about it.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I drink very little, and the calories are one good reason. I'd rather eat them then drink them.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    So what is a good brand of Vodka? I wonder if it would be good with diet sierra mist and a splash of crystal light.
  • AllisonMO
    AllisonMO Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For the first two months on MFP, I cut back to maybe one glass of wine every other week at a social occasion. Now, as I am trained to log in all my calories and made my original goal, I have a glass or two every other day, which turns out not to be all that many calories. What was sabotaging me before were the salty things I would eat along with the wine, which I now can go without. I do love almonds but will have them separately as a snack. Wine is one of the pleasures in life, and I want to continue to enjoy it in moderation.

But one confession: I LOVE blueberry lager and have two left in the fridge. I checked the calories--260--gasp!!!--so I will have to exercise bigtime to allow myself one!!!!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    So what is a good brand of Vodka? I wonder if it would be good with diet sierra mist and a splash of crystal light.

You'll hear as many brands to this question as there are people.

I like: smirnoff triple distilled vodka (unflavored). If you are out and you order from the bar you can't really go wrong with the house brand of vodka.

I don't like Sierra mist, too sweet for me. I like Sprite Zero.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll give it a try next weekend.