scissor kicks?? Clicking noise in hip

Options
Hi all, I wanted some advise. I am working through the insanity programme at the moment and during the cardio abs there is a move (cant think of the exercise but its similar to scissor kicks, but you bring your leg into your bottom, bends knees, straighten leg then lift up and down).

Every time I do this exercise with my left leg, my hip makes a cracking noise when I have straightened my leg. Its not painful as such but the sound is horrid and it makes my stomach turn. I try and work through but don't do any where near as many with my left as I can do with my right leg (no noise from the right side).

So should I continue to do them? And is there an exercise or stretch I can do to help with the noise? Oh and why is my hip making a cracking noise?? Sorry for all the questions!

Replies

• K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    See a doctor
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Please answer, somebody. When I do leg circles (pilates) my left leg makes a noise, doesn't hurt but don't know if I should continue!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I am not positive on the exercise you describe doing, but I am thinking you may have extremely tight hip flexors. Try getting a regular stretching routine going to loosen them up. I would suggest googling the stretches for the hip flexors - as I could try and explain them, but I know I will do a terrible job, lol.

I have had that problem before - with the "popping" of the hips - it is nasty, lol. When they get bad I do regular stretching atleast 2x a day and when really bad, I add some heat treatments at night. Good luck :)
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Talk to a doctor, physical therapist or chiropractor for this, because your clicking hip could be different from everyone else's clicking hip.

That being said. I have one "hip" area joint thingamajig that clicks all the time and has since I was a kid and I have talked to my docs about it and they were not concerned. My massage therapist wishes I would work on it though, so I try to stretch that area a little more than the rest of my body.
  • aproctor1120
    Options
    I have the same thing with my left hip when I do leg lifts. In my case, my doctor told me if I was not having any pain, it was nothing to worry about. I would suggest you see a doctor for confirmation though.
  • missedout
    missedout Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I have to pop along to the drs any how so will get it checked out just in case!
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers. Sure appreciate it.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Sheri is right, it is tight hips. Specifically it is "Either your iliotibial (IT) band is snapping in and out of its groove (called external snapping hip) or it’s the tendon of the psoas muscle snapping over a bony protrusion (internal snapping hip)." Read more about it here: http://www.alignedandwell.com/katysays/snapping-psoas-hidden-tiger/