When do you workout?

Options
Trying to decide if I should switch my cardio workouts to a.m. instead of late afternoon. I'm curious what some of you think about what time of day is best and what works for you?

Replies

• themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started doing a dvd in the morning at home (I shoot for at least 20 minutes), and then I go to the gym after work and do at least another 20 minutes of cardio, then weights... although I have been slacking on all of this the last two weeks :ohwell:

But now that it's officially summer - kicking into high gear again!
  • Emorriso165
    Emorriso165 Posts: 23
    Options
    I think you just need to find the time that you are most motivated to go. I like working out at night and if I try and switch it up I think the quality of my workouts suffer. I'd LOVE to be able to workout in the morning and just get it done with but my body fights me pretty hard on that... Exercise is exercise no matter when you do it so go ahead and exercise when it's convenient for you!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I like to work out in the mornings before my day starts. That way it's out of the way and off my to do list so I can enjoy the rest of my day!
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    I used to always work out in the AM (prior Army so I think that set the tone) well I took a couple years off and now getting back into it I am finding the evening makes me feel better than the AM, so I think it depends on the person and what is going on at the time...
  • jermee
    jermee Posts: 15
    Options
    I have recently started working out in the mornings. Summer is here so its nice to spend time with the wife and dog at night. Plus if things come up they always come up at night and not at 5 am.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym every morning at 4:30am. Not only do I like getting it out of the way, but also because every gym around me (which I have several around me) are packed from 4pm-10pm.
  • Always_lil_j
    Options
    Mornings before I eat breakfast and then after dinner
  • back2self
    back2self Posts: 2
    Options
    I am so NOT a morning person, but I find that if I do exercise in the morning, I have more energy over the course of the day. I HATE having to shower and dress again in the middle of the day, so you won't find me working out between 11 am and 4pm. I like the evening because I don't feel as rushed (to get out of the house to work or whatever), but if I exercise too energetically too late, then I have trouble falling asleep. However, if I were working out at a gym (I don't; I work out at home) I'd want to avoid the gyms after work because of the crowds and possibly having to wait to use the machines I wanted to use.

So, morning working is hard but better for me. And if I'm going to work out at the end of the day, then it needs to be yoga or stretching, even a little weight training, but not intense cardio; otherwise I'm awake for another 3 hours.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If I go to the gym I ususally go around 930 pm, seems to be when I am most motivated, the days I do zumba and Yoga, I go around 530 when they have classes. It really is to your time schedule. I hate mornings and am not motivated till the afternoon. Hope this helps...
  • lucia698
    lucia698 Posts: 15
    Options
    I work out in the morning. I am working on my Masters so the evenings are spent doing homework and taking care of my dog.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    I do my C25K in the morning, well as early as I can and all my other workouts are before I go to bed. I do it then because thats when my kids go to bed. But I have learned that any exercise is better than none.
  • Joey1982
    Joey1982 Posts: 25
    Options
    I struggled with this for the past couple weeks too and I think I finally have it cased! I find it way easier to incorporate my workout into my day to day routine by making small changes. Instead of driving to work, i alternate riding my bike (20 minutes) and walking (35 minutes) each way and then instead of taking the elevator up/down 12 floors I take the stairs. . That seems to get my cardio in for the day and then I do about 20-30 minutes of strength training during the evening.

Everyone is different, whenever you feel motivated to do it is when you should do it. If you are a morning person you may not want to schedule work outs at night as you'll be more inclined to skip them.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Anytime you'll do it is the best time. I prefer mornings because it's out of the way.
  • roadchic18
    roadchic18 Posts: 128
    Options
    Thanks guys, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who struggles with a.m. exercise. Because of all the info out there about the benefits of a.m. exericse I tried to switch a couple of months back but I felt like I wasn't performing at the same intensity as say 5 or 6 at night. So I guess I will stick with what works for me. I've always wanted to be one of those people who wake up and run 5 miles but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon!
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym before work at least 4 days a week. Usually I go after work on Friday. I like going in the morning to get it out of the way although some days it's really hard to get out of bed so early!! I don't like working out after work because then I don't eat dinner until after 7:00pm. I rarely go to the gym after dinner.
    Like others have said I think everyone is different. I know I have a better chance of talking myself out of going to the gym after work so I switched to the morning.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    I try and do both morning and afternoons. I find that a light "something" helps relieve the aches and pains I wake up. This can be anything from walking my dog to the park or doing Wii Fit. In the afternoon I do my heavy cardio - running, cycling, Shred workout.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    whenever I can ;)