Morning running nutrition

Options
utes09
utes09 Posts: 561 Member
Sometimes going for a run first thing in the morning is all the time I have for exercise in the morning. Would it be better to eat something before I head out or wait to have breakfast (a high protein shake and some oatmeal and fruit) for when I get back? I have heard you're supposed to wait an hour to 90 minutes to exercise after eating. That means I'd have to start my day earlier if I should be eating before I run in the morning.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I find it very uncomfortable to run in the morning on an empty stomach. My body needs fuel or I don't have the energy I need to get through the runs. I might be able to eeek out a 3 mile run having eaten nothing, but when I run 4, 5, 10,....miles I need food. So, if I know I'm only going to do 2-4 miles, I have a Gu energy gel before I head out. With this, I don't need to wait an hour or more to digest it. If I am going to run 5 or more miles, I get up 30 minutes earlier than I would otherwise and I eat oatmeal with raisins, or a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat or a bagel. Then, I bring Gu packets with me for the run itself and I use one approximately every 45 min or so. And, when I get home from any run, I make a Mocha Shakeology shake to recover. Yummy!!!
    I hope this helps. It took some experimenting on my part, but eventually you'll find what works for you too.
    Risa
  • princessleia1980
    princessleia1980 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sorry no suggestions. I always get a stitch if I eat before I go out running so I would like to hear peoples answers!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I've heard it both ways. For me, you couldn't force me to wake up early enough to eat and allow my food to digest enough to actually be able to run, it'd take a couple hours. So I never eat before I work out. And if I just have a tiny snack, my stomach growls during the whole workout. I know other people who do eat beforehand, and I'm impressed by them :smile:
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I like to eat something, like an apple or banana, before exercise and have the protein shake(breakfast) after exercise. The body needs fuel and bananas are a good source of fuel. Recently, a study has come out about chocolate milk being a source for weight loss(3 glasses/day). You could probably just drink some of that before a workout. I would think the body needs some kind of energy(calories) before exercise.
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    My Hubby said if you are doing a "high intensity workout" it is good to have a light carb i.e. small banana, half bagel or a breakfast bar! Hope this helps and keep up the good work!:flowerforyou:
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Yogarunner, you mentioned a Mocha Shakeology...sounds delicious! Could you give more information on that? I love making shakes or smoothies as recovery meals. I eat protein bars as well sometimes, but there's something about a shake that's more satisfying!
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    I think this is all personal preference. I ALWAYS eat before my morning runs and then have my breakfast when I get back.

Some things that work for me:

**Before my morning run:
    Vita Muffin Top
    2 Fat Free Fig Newtons
    Banana w/1 Tbsp Peanut Butter
    Crackers
    Piece of Bread w/1 Tbsp Peanut Butter

**When I Return/Breakfast:
    Greek Yogurt w/Fresh Fruit
    Bowl of Cereal w/Fresh Fruit
    Clif Bar
    Oatmeal Mixed w/1 Tbsp Peanut Butter and Blueberries.

You just have to find what works for you!!!!
  • porkchopz
    porkchopz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What works for me is a shot of espresso plus a small, easily digestible carb before the run (maybe a banana or crackers). After the run, a whey protein shake is perfect.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I keep some dried prunes and/or dates nearby and snack on them while I'm reading the paper (in bed)...or on the couch, getting mentally prepared for my run...this doesn't usually bother my tummy...in fact, on a long run, I take dates with me for energy (as opposed to energy bars that are full of chemicals and generally make me feel like I need to yack after kilometre 15)
    Hope that helps....otherwise experiment