Insanity--Shoes?

Options
So I did my first insanity last night and I noticed that my feet were getting really sore about half way through. So I ditched the shoes and finished the workout barefoot without any pain. This worked for last night but I feel like continuing the program barefoot is going to be a bad idea. Any suggestions on what type of shoes to get? I was using my running shoes (that were fitted to my gait).

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I've been doing it barefoot. I cannot find the right shoes to do it in, my feet some to cramp up.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    do they still cramp when you are barefoot? I only have done the fit test (day 1) so I dont' really know exactly whats in store, so I wanted to have the right shoes if necessary but if it can be done barefoot, i'm good with that too
  • ScottyBeBop
    ScottyBeBop Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just started myself but it seems myself and alot of people use Reebok Zigs (Trainer version not Running) or the real flex transitions. I am trying to force myself to use a more minimalist style like my Inov-8 195's or 230's (awesome if you like that not even their feeling) but i am a little worried about the shock absorption not being as good. Any cross trainer that is geared toward lateral support will do the trick. Lots of people use basketball sneakers just because of the lateral support factor.
  • jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I do them barefoot. The only time I feel like I could do better in shoes would be the burpees
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    I use basketball boots. Have had a lot of very bad ankle injuries, so I appreciate the extra support. But I did get the foot pain early on in the program. Loosened the laces a little and have been fine since week one.
  • ScottyBeBop
    ScottyBeBop Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yeah i have that foot pain right now. Body is def not use to all the jumping yet.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest going barefoot through the entire program. My guess it would begin to cause pain. Buy yourself a good pair of cross-trainers. I started with running shoes and it just wasn't cutting it.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I do workout videos in my vibram five fingers. They give the barefoot feel with the added bit of protection and traction for doing things like burpees.
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use my running shoes and have never had a problem, how old are your shoes? General rule would be 300-600 miles or 6 months.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I did the plymetric cardio circuit yesterday without shoes, and I won't do that again. My feet felt like there were cuts on the bottoms of my soles. Someone said get cross trainers or basketball shoes for Insanity, not running shoes so you will have more support on the sides of your feet.
  • nrf111
    nrf111 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had ankle issues so I got some basketball high tops and they seem to be working pretty well. Also, the first week of Insanity hurts no matter what you do! It takes a bit to adjust. I couldn't walk well for two days after my first plyo cardio workout because my calves were on fire!
  • ECatherineS
    Options
    I've done half of INSANTIY before (still have yet to complete the damn thing). I have never worn shoe while doing it. Then again, I hate shoes in general. The only time I wear shoes while working out is running, in the gym, or at work. The rest of the time it's optional. haha
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 but I have done the program before and I use my regular cross trainers. I have never had a problem with this workout and pain in my feet. Pain in the rest of my body is a different story. :smile:
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'll put in my vote for Vibram 5 fingers.
    I got them during Recovery week & I love them!
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Be careful doing this type of exercise barefoot. It is very hard on the joints. After a while not having the proper footwear to absorb the shock/ impact will take a toll on your feet and knees.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I use my running shoes and have never had a problem, how old are your shoes? General rule would be 300-600 miles or 6 months.

Running shoes only have about 150 miles on them.

I have used them for regular strength training before without a problem, however that doesn't have the same intensity.
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Vibram Five FIngers, I can't recommend them enough!
  • Prasanp
    Options
    Adipure 5 fingers - transformed my Plyo and Insanity routines.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I would think that high heeled shoes would drive anybody insane. That's what we're talking about right?
  • CandyFeinberg
    Options
    I wear Reebok RealFlex Transitions for Insanity and I love them. They work for me but everyone's foot is different.