Working out 3-4x a week, not daily....

Options
I've always heard that it's better to work out about every other day, not daily. Even my doctor has said that the body needs to rest between workouts. Even cardio - they say 3-4x a week with your heart rate up for a good 20-30 min is ideal.

So I'm curious - why do so many work out EVERY day? And, maybe even the bigger question,how do you find the TIME to devote to that? I feel like people often look down at those of us who only work out 3-4x a week, as if we're lazy or not doing our best, etc. Honestly, I'm a single mom of two - I just cannot fit working out every single day. (And for me a decent workout is anywhere from 6-75 minutes plus about an hour of travel time & shower, etc)

Also, when I have tried to work out daily, I seem to GAIN weight. Yes, probably muscle weight, but still - that's just uncool to gain. haha

So anyhow just wondering - how often do most of you find you are working out. And if you do it daily, how on earth do you get the time to do it? And is your goal for daily, to build muscle? Or lose weight? Or just better general health?

THANKS!

Replies

• thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Every day except for Sunday. Time wise, I make it. I have a toddler & work, but that doesn't make a difference. If you watch tv, take 45 minutes in the bath etc they are all things that can be cut out or cut down to fit in a workout. As fair as gaining weight, you can only gain a max of about a 1lb of muscle a week, most likely your weight gain was water retention. & my goal is for all three, I'm shredding & when I reach where I wanna be I will begin to bulk. My overall goal isn't about weight but about health, strength & lookig aesthetically pleasing.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I exercise 3-5 times a week, depending on my schedule. When I exercise too much (daily), I get run down. When I exercise too little, I don't have that "pep" that endorphins give me. I exercise for fitness and health. I exercise to look good naked. I exercise so that when I get to my goal weight, I'll be happy with what I see in the mirror, instead of feeling disappointed.

Some people exercise every day because they've set their calorie goals pretty low and need the extra cals from working out. Some people have been convinced by shows like "The Biggest Loser" that the only way to lose weight is to go all out and exercise like crazy every day. Some people simply like to exercise that much. There are a lot of reasons.

The body needs rest though. It's just as important as healthy food and exercise. So, take your rest days and don't feel guilty! They're good for you.

Edit to add that actually building muscle is very difficult. It typically takes a calorie surplus, lots of protein, a heavy lifting program and time - especially if you are a woman. It's not easy. People who are new to exercising may see a small gain due to muscle (newbie gains) but beyond that, you really have to work to gain muscle.
    When the scale goes up from exercising, it's because your muscles are retaining fluid in order to repair themselves. So, drink plenty of water and get some rest and the scale will go back down.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hi

I work out 3-4 x week. Lift heavy 2-3 for 45-90 mins depends,cardio 2 x week-total 3-4. I focus on weights and slip in cardio doing things i like. I try and move daily with staying busy. But, I could not do cardio daily, or would i want too..Whatver works for people is what they need to do. This time frame works for me.
    Good day
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Just depends on your goals. 3-4 times a week is excellent for general health and weight loss especially with your schedule.

I try for 6 times a week, but I alternate days of running (or cycling) & strength training that way each system and group of muscles gets a chance to rest. What you want to avoid is over use injuries which occur when you do the same workout day after day.
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think if you stay with 3-4x a week you will see good results.
    I sometimes push it to hard and end up not working out for 3 or 4 days in a row.
    I am trying to lose weight and build muscle. Can't decide on a routine so have been jumping around. Don't know how effective it has been.
  • mom2boys3
    mom2boys3 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I work out 3-4 times a week. My youngest goes to school Tuesday, Thursday, and alternate Fridays, so I really push myself on those days, because I have extra time to devote to it, with no distractions. The days that he is home I aim for a 30 minute workout. I don't workout on the weekends, because we are usually busy with family stuff. My workouts are at home, which makes it easier to fit in. I usually do a Walk Away the Pounds video.

The bottom line is that you have to do what works for you. If you push too hard, or are spread yourself too thin, it won't be sustainable in the long run. This is a journey, and a lifestyle, so it has to work for YOU. Good luck.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I try to walk everyday, but I aim for 3-4 days of hard workouts. I'm starting weight lifting and need the "day" off after to recover. Call me a wuss, but I can't handle muscle pain on top of arthritis pain on a daily basis, I need a break day between.
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    I work out at the gym 4-5 times a week depending on what my partner is working as i have 2 toddlers and need to go around him. Then on at least 1 of the other days i go out for an hours walk and walk as fast as i can. I try and make sure i have 1-2 day rest a week but it all depends on what my partner is doing. Like this week i can only go today wednesday and thursday and then not again till Tuesday. So i will be going all 3 days. But tonight i have aerobics, tomorrow lunch time i have spinning and then thursday late afternoon i will use the actually gym. I love the gym though and would go more even if i took it easy. Its nice to have some me time
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I workout atleast 6 days a week. I'm doing two beachbody programs. I get up around 4 am and workout then have to get my 2 year old up and get us out the door by 7. Then every other week my hubby works nights so I do find it harder to workout at night so I have to either try and workout when my little one is awake (which he does enjoy doing the insanity) or I wait for him to go to bed. Alot of the times I use the weekend to play catch up on my workouts. But I find the more I workout the more energy I have. Good luck!!
  • swishandflick
    Options
    I've finally broken out of a plateau by upping my workouts from 3 times a week to 4-5 days. Also, I did spinning twice last week and this week lost 2 pounds. It may be temporary, but it's nice to see the numbers going down again regardless.

I'd say if working out 3-4 days is working for you, there's no need to change it.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week, my lazy weeks are 5 times a week. I do videos at home (P90x is my fav) just because once I get home after work I don't feel like driving somewhere else to workout. I love volleyball, so I found 2 places to play and play twice a week (so I don't get bored). My kids are teenagers so time is not too much of an issue for me. Oh, and I also tend to gain when I am working out more, but I start to see muscle tone and definition and that makes me happy.

I do not look down on others, every time you work out or make a healthier food choice, you're healthier.
  • kpnive
    kpnive Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been working out for the past 3 months minimum 4x a week and sometimes 5-6 x a week, depending on what my body tells me. I am in a win to lose competition at my gym and we earn points for going to gym 5x a week. It is hard to do so, but I am trying. I've been trying to figure out the best routine for me and like i said - listen to my body. Right now I took Monday off, I am going Tues, Wed, Thur, Friday off and then Sat, Sun. good luck!
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I alternate harder cardio workouts with yoga, as well as walking daily. Works for me.
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I work out six times a week, sometimes seven (yoga/stretching on that extra day). I have nothing but time and we have a gym at home, so those make working out easier. If I need more rest I'll take a day off, it's not the end of the world.
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My only dedicated workout is lifting weights 3 times a week (NROL4W) and I need every hour of recovery time I get. If I tried to go running or something on my off days, I'd probably be too tired to increase my weights and/or lift with proper form. And honestly, I know myself well enough to know that I would just wear myself out physically and mentally if I tried to go to the gym 6-7 days a week. In my opinion, OP, if you are giving your best effort at your 3-4x a week workouts, then that's really all that matters.
  • fitness_science
    fitness_science Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I Work out 7 days per week and enjoy it. I built my body up to being able to do that over time through small increases in activity each week. I developed my body through sports primarily boxing. I started training at age 14 and I am now currently 30 years old. I do it because when I reduce my activity during the week, over time I begin to notice decreases in physical ability. I began exercising for performance and I've continued to judge my physical health by performance. I run, lift weights, jump rope, and punch bags 7 days a week. I believe your training should depend on your goals. There is nothing wrong with exercising 3 times per week if it helps you reach your goal, but if your goal seems to get further and further away from you then, and only then should you consider a change.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I was working out 5 days a week when I went to the gym but then I did Insanity and I got used to the 6 days a week. I'm back at the gym this week and plan on hitting that all week and then doing a round of cardio on Saturday, making Sunday my rest day. When spring and summer hits I'll probably incorporate a brisk walk with the dog in the afternoon/evenings for a little extra calorie burn as well.

It's really up to you and what works for you and your schedule.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week with saturday being my day off. My wife has to be at work at 8am....I have to be at work at 9am. Of course it takes her much longer to get ready in the mornings so, I get the 3 kids up, fix their lunch and get them to the bus stop. Granted we only live a mile from the schools but, after they get on the bus, I hop in the truck, drive 3 minutes to my gym...workout for an hour, get back home and I have just enough time to grab a shower, pick up or clean the kitchen, ect....and then off to work I go. I do cardio every day....and I alternate lifting in three days a week. example: Mon...cardio 30 min, lifting 30 minutes...tues...cardio 40-50 min....wed...cardio 30 min, lifting 30 min....thurs...cardio 40-50 min....etc...etc..

Some might say that's not enough lifting time but, I don't do legs. My legs have been built for a long time and the elliptical and stair machine at the gym tend to work them pretty well anyway. My lifting is strictly upper body and back. I do NOT put down those that just workout 3 times a week. that's more than what most people are doing so, I give them props for at least getting in those 3 days
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    So I'm curious - why do so many work out EVERY day?

Because they feel they have to. The popular image of "fitness" is spending hours on the treadmill every day. The longer you spend on the treadmill, the more fit you are. It's insane.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't see many examples of people getting looked down upon for working out 3-4 days per week. Actually, that's far and away the most recommended workout frequency on this site. You're seeing something that isn't there. However, when people ask "How do you have the time?", that's usually a judgy statement implying that other people don't have as many important things to do as you.