The neck thing is weird!

Options
20chloe09
20chloe09 Posts: 39 Member
When I first started logging my measurements I was puzzled as to why MFP asks you to record your neck measurements - surely the progress won't be that noticeable in that area? Well I have just taken my measurements and have lost an inch around my neck in the past two weeks - that's the same as the lost from around my waist! I am starting to think that there really must be a change in my appearance, even if I can't see it just now so I feel really encouraged! I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes it's just the small things that can be really encouraging when it comes to weight loss. Does anybody else have any weird little successes that have made them feel encouraged? Maybe I could look out for them too!

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    It just goes to show ya, we all lose it in different places- you just can't pick and chose where it will come from first! Through 60+ pounds of weight loss, my neck only lost 1/2 an inch....

Congrats on your skinny new neck! :happy:
  • ryssaan
    ryssaan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    my neck hasn't gotten any smaller at all. I've lost a total of 22 lbs (11 from using MFP) and my neck is the same size but the rest of me is smaller. We are all different and lose in different places
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes yes! I have one!! (And congrats btw! I didn't think there'd be a big change in neck, either. I never measured though to prove myself wrong, haha) I have this pair of "booty shorts" I bought for sleeping and working out in last year... and they've always hit RIGHT below my bum and I've always had to pull them down so nobody sees it. Because of this, I've always hang dried them. Well, this last time I washed them, I forgot & threw them in the dryer. Now I've got plenty of room (because my butt's lifted!) and my *kitten* looks soo hot in them, hahaha. Sorry if that's too much but I was really excited.
  • lovelypen50
    lovelypen50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I know, I have people telling me how they notice weight loss in my facial area/neck and upper body. I can't see, but I get that a lot.
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    My husband is in the US Navy and he said they measure their neck to help determine their body fat ratio.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I noticed my weight loss first in my jowls and wrists. I wish I had measured my wrists, LOL. It IS the little things. WTG
  • 20chloe09
    20chloe09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes yes! I have one!! (And congrats btw! I didn't think there'd be a big change in neck, either. I never measured though to prove myself wrong, haha) I have this pair of "booty shorts" I bought for sleeping and working out in last year... and they've always hit RIGHT below my bum and I've always had to pull them down so nobody sees it. Because of this, I've always hang dried them. Well, this last time I washed them, I forgot & threw them in the dryer. Now I've got plenty of room (because my butt's lifted!) and my *kitten* looks soo hot in them, hahaha. Sorry if that's too much but I was really excited.

Not too much at all!! Haha congratulations! Thats great that you feel confident about your *kitten*!! I think because it is such a gradual process you have to pay attention to the little things which let you know you've made progress because otherwise it can seem like such a long wait for the big results.
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    I used to go to a tailor who would measure my neck and then get the perfect shirt for me.

Every time he used my neck measurements. So there's definately something in neck size being a good indicator :)
  • keda35
    keda35 Posts: 3
    Options
    hello, the neck thing is wweird, i also lost 1 inch around the neck, crazy thing is i cant tell, but just knowing do encourage to go further, actually anychange thats positive is good!! keep up the good work, its a hard road but ur not alone!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I have necklaces that used to be chokers that aren't anymore...I think I've lost at least two inches there. :wink:
  • hotpink82
    hotpink82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yea i lost some weight on my feet heels fit better.

and the neck and my head! LoL

I would Actually measure around my head weird i know but i wanna know where im losing weight.

losing weight is so darn hard to do but its so worth it!

Keep up the good work!

Stephanie
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    The neck/face are the first places I notice when people have lost weight. It makes your face look more well defined.
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    The neck/face are the first places I notice when people have lost weight. It makes your face look more well defined.
  • FIREfitGrl27
    FIREfitGrl27 Posts: 199
    Options
    When I lose weight my fingers and toes get smaller. Like the fat falls off in those areas the fastest lol. My rings don't fit as well anymore and slip off easier. It's just one of those little things that makes me go..hmmm...how much smaller can I get these? lol
  • CardioRS
    CardioRS Posts: 88
    Options
    My hubbs has the same result. He recently lost 25 pounds and I am sure about an inch in his neck. His shirts are no longer overflowing when he buttons them and puts a tie on. Very nice!

Congrats to you!
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's weird isn't it!!! I lost a ton of weight prior to joining this site and have not been able to wear my wedding rings in months. They are being sized right now and I look forward to getting them next week...

I went from a size 5 1/4 wedding band to a 4!!! WHAT?! 4!!! Let's hope it's measured correctly...LOL!
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i wore a size 17 neck shirt at my wedding in 2006--since i went on diet i am down to 14,5 --seems to be my first place and people say i am looking gaunt and jowly! i do wish my stomach was as quick to go
  • Niteowlmama
    Options
    Wow ! Congrats !!! :smile:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I learned this strange tip from my friend's mom. Before you try on jeans see if the waist fits around your neck. She never trys on her pants and they always fit just by doing that.
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My small success was being able to get my wedding rings off! I had a baby 5mths ago and hadn't been able to get my rings off since August 2009. To me, that was a small but significant accomplishment!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!