Newbie to running

Options
Spring is around the corner, and I'd really like to start "running". I have a 4 year old daughter that is full of energy and wants to start playing basketball next fall, and I really want to keep up with her! I don't expect to do a 5K over night, but I'd like to be better at it than I am now. If anyone can give any tips on how to start off (I will be looking into the C25K), stretches, when to stretch, HRM, sneakers, anything! I'm also on a fairly tight budget, so I can't get anything pricey!

Thanks!!! :D

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    C25K downloads are free and I think it is by far the best way to get started. I'd recommend getting fitted for a pair of shoes at a running store before you even start. You'll save yourself a world of hurt. There's really nothing else you need to have. A HRM can be fun and if you find you really like running and want to work on some other aspects of it you may want to get one down the road.

Before running all you want to do is warm up your muscles, not stretch them. The 5 minute brisk walk at the beginning of C25K is good enough or you can do some jumping jacks or running on the spot. After your run you can do stretches if you like (I never get around to it).
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I do C25K... I am not a runner, start slow.... although you may feel you can go faster when you start running for longer periods throughout the weeks, slow and steady wins the race! Good Luck!!! :)
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    Love c25k. Just stick to the program and you will do it. I remember when i started i could barely run 1 minute and i would see all these runners running passed me making it look easy. I would think that would never be me. Now it is me. If your on a tight budget i would not worry about HRM and any other fancy gadgets and spend the money on a good pair of trainers. If you don't have good footwear then you injure yourself, I didn't believe this and i went anyway and i got shin splints. All i will say is ouch. It cleared up pretty quick but i went out and got better trainers and they have not come back. I didnt spend loads but i got the best i could afford. I always warm up walk for about 5 minutes 1st and then i do a couple stretchs and then off i go.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    c25k made a runner out of me! I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs on my phone - worked great. I also recommend getting fitted for shoes if you can, or at the very least, make sure the shoes you've got are fairly new, with good support. Follow the program, go as slow as you need to, repeat a day if necessary. I managed to get through the whole program without needing to repeat any days, and without any injuries.

And a year later, I'm still running and enjoying it. :)