Shin Splint issues

Options
I'm pretty sure this issue has been covered numerous times but I can't find the other threads right now and I need some input. I am a new runner and it has been MANY YEARS since I've actually put effort into running (minus chasing my dog down when she slips her leash). So now that I'm actually putting effort into my running (learning proper form, etc.) I seem to suffer from a pretty constant case of shin splints. I've been doing toe/calf raises as part of my warm up and other stretches also but I still seem to suffer. I haven't been properly fit for new running shoes yet (that's my plan in the next couple of weeks) but I've been using my Nike running shoes and a pair of lightweight running shoes that I purchased at work. I'm almost convinced it's the shoes, I have a funny step to begin with and wear out a pair of shoes lickety split. Does any one have any other suggestions on what I can do to prevent shin splints or what I should do when I have a case of them?

Replies

• nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    hi there. i had ur exact same issue. what finally worked for me was lots of stretching. That was it. i almost gave up for a while there because i thought i was going to die if i put my foot forward! now i stretch and walk for a few minutes before i jog. Hope it helps ;)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Shoes may be your issue if you addressed your form already. The biggest cause of shin splints is landing on your heels. Taking smaller steps and landing midfoot will often stop it from happening. It's better to take a lot of short quick steps than to try to sprint with a long reach so your heel is taking the impact.
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If it's consistent the way your saying it is then I would suggest new shoes. Go to a sports store and get a new pair. Try them out for a few weeks and if they don't work just return them. What to do? Ice, rest, stretch, repeat. When I did that they were gone within the week.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, and it was absolutely the shoes in my case!

Go to a running store, get properly fitted by a professional, then either spring for them at that store, or buy them online cheaper!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    New shoes and losing weight made my shin splints go away completely.
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Look uo proper running form and work on it.

Get good shoes.

Go slow.
  • BlairLove
    BlairLove Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As the others mentioned, shoes are the most important. I always have issues with my shins, as well. I suggest getting a foam roller to roll out your calves everyday, as well as massaging your calves. If you have knots, it will put strain on your calves. I have noticed a huge change since I started the massage, its not comfortable, but it works.
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice and input. I'm going in to Fleet Feet to get fit for new running shoes in the next couple of weeks. Gonna rest the shins up for a bit then try again.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Ice, IB profin, stretching. You may need new shoes too, running shoes usually last between 300-500 miles depending on the quality. I would suggest going to a store like Fleet Feet if there is one in your area because they will help fit you for the right type of shoe for you . Tell them you have had issues with your shins too and they can look at your gait to make sure you aren't hurting youreself more.
    In the past, for me, if I would ice for about 20 minutes after a run, that seemed to help, as well as taking IB regularly (before/after a run). You may want to look into compression sleeves for your shins, I have heard these can work wonders too!
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    I got this. Changed my shoes and not had it since, I stretch loads before hand as well
  • jessicas082409
    jessicas082409 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    In the meantime while you go get your shoes and your shins still hurt like all hades...i use tiger balm(think bengay on steroids) and ace bandage wraps on my legs...it doesn't heal them by any means but it makes getting around the house at night a little less painful. Good luck!
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Soooo many things can cause this. A few fixes that have worked for me...

New shoes. As stated, places like Fleet Feet could get you properly fitted. You may need more support. Try arch supports as well. My arches collapse when I step, thereby pulling the tendons causing shin splints.

Stretching AND rolling. Use foam rollers/the stick to roll knots out. The shin is a hard area to "stretch"

Surface. Running on pavement can cause it. Treadmills too. Try running on different surfaces and see how that helps.

Start slow and short. Running is great, but you have to build up to faster/longer runs.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Soooo many things can cause this. A few fixes that have worked for me...

New shoes. As stated, places like Fleet Feet could get you properly fitted. You may need more support. Try arch supports as well. My arches collapse when I step, thereby pulling the tendons causing shin splints.

Stretching AND rolling. Use foam rollers/the stick to roll knots out. The shin is a hard area to "stretch"

Surface. Running on pavement can cause it. Treadmills too. Try running on different surfaces and see how that helps.

Start slow and short. Running is great, but you have to build up to faster/longer runs.

I agree with all of this. Another cause for shin splints is uneven trails, as the lower leg tries to stabilize on the unevenness and overworks the muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Soft flat surfaces like a dirt road or a city park trail are great. As for fixes I strongly agree with the arch supports, in the form of quality inserts; I use Sole Dean Karnazes and love them.

Shin splints are often caused by doing too much too soon, so I would recommend an app like c25k to help you slowly, steadily, and progressively build up the musculature. When I started I always wanted to do more than my legs were really ready for and continually got shin splints. But when I followed all the advice above and slowed up and increased distance gradually, I was fine. It is totally worth it!
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ooo I get these, can anyone suggest somewhere in the UK (pref in London) that I can get measured/fitted for decent running shoes
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Use a foam roller!
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Ooo I get these, can anyone suggest somewhere in the UK (pref in London) that I can get measured/fitted for decent running shoes

Quick search and this place looks similar to what I go to here in the US...http://www.runnersneed.com/store/content/fcp-content