Insanity--Shoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Did the entire two months wearing my Vibrams. Really helps with stregthening the ankles and foot.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I wear Asics gel cross-trainers. I broke the outside of my left foot a few years ago and have a neuroma on my right foot. Both feet would cramp and be sore for the first 2 weeks, but are much better now.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Vibram Five FIngers, I can't recommend them enough!

I used those a few times with no issues. I also had bought a pair of light running shoes to wear and they seemed to work.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I had a LOT of arch pain and did a little research. There are entire boards dedicated to this subject on the Beachbody website, because most people try to do the workouts in running shoes instead of the intended cross trainers, and it can be painful. Your arches also affect the workout- I have high arches and I haven't found cross trainers that help with that pain, so I work out barefoot. The most important thing is to make sure you land softly and take care of your joints, because without shoes to absorb some of the shock, some people will let their joints take over that job. Just be conscious of your form and your joints, and you'll be ok I'm sure.
  • JHarr454
    JHarr454 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity and Kettlebell in either Merrill Barefoot shoes or Vibram Five Fingers. I like the feel of barefoot with the protection of a shoe. I'm in love with the Merrill's. They're comfortable and flat (zero rise), and they're a lot easier to get on and off than my Vibrams.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    nevermind!
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use my running shoes and have never had a problem, how old are your shoes? General rule would be 300-600 miles or 6 months.

Running shoes only have about 150 miles on them.

I have used them for regular strength training before without a problem, however that doesn't have the same intensity.

I have been using Underarmor flex with insoles. They work great I have had no problems with Insanity, running or lifting with them!
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on what is comfortable to you and the conditions in which you are completing the program. I would have loved to do it barefoot; however, I completed the program in my basement on cement floors therefore wore my running sneakers. Everyone is different.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I seriously strained the arch in my foot doing Insanity because I tried it with my regular sneakers, then barefoot, then with new sneakers, etc... Make sure to get cross-trainers or a good pair of supportive insoles for your regular sneakers and start slow. Any sign of pain and take some rest days or figure out new shoes.
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You should not rely on shoes to absorb impact/shock. Use proper form to land softly and protect your joints regardless of your choice of footwear.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Be careful doing this type of exercise barefoot. It is very hard on the joints. After a while not having the proper footwear to absorb the shock/ impact will take a toll on your feet and knees.

There are studies that have proven that we land *harder* in shoes, with more impact, because we expect the cushioning of the shoe to cushion our landing, which it doesn't. It's been said you can put an egg in an oven mitt, but if you hit it with a hammer, you'll still get a broken egg!
    Without shoes, you learn to use your body's own shock absorbing system, and land softer to protect your feet & joints. If you stomp & land hard though, I agree...look out!
  • aceof89
    aceof89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I found ASICS GEL-Intensity Cross-Training Shoe support me best doing Insanity-like exercises.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I am on the penultimate week of insanity and so far I have been doing the exercises either barefoot or just in my socks. I am happy to wear shoes but when you live on a top floor apartment it can be a pain for those living underneath especially when I am doing my exercises at 6am.