Need a good beginers wieght lifting program!

Options
I am looking for a good beginers wieght lifting program. I am a runner. looking for a good core and arms program.

Replies

• NBowes88
    NBowes88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I really like ChaLean Extreme - there's some weight lifting and some cardio. It's a 90 day program, but toward the end she shows you how to use it for a lifestyle change. I'm on week 3 and I can definitely see a difference but it's not too challenging where it makes me want to give up. Hope that helps!
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This is not meant to be end-all be-all of weight lifting routines. It is just an example of one that can be easily done. It incorporates compound lifts (using large muscle groups), has two lifting routines and also employs enough variation in reps done that your body should not become adapted before the end of the program.

Warm up – Whatever works for you. 5 – 10 minutes of light cardio, some basic bodyweight exercises, a bit of yoga, you just need to get your muscles warmed up.

Now if you want to be a hard core lifter then you lift weights to warm up. For example, you want to bench press 150 pounds a total of 25 times (a 5x5 routine). Warm up with 15 reps of 75 pounds, 10 reps of 100 pounds and 5 reps of 135 pounds, then do your 5x5 routine with 150 pounds.

Workout A

Squat (lower body)
    Barbell Bench Press (chest)
    Standing Military/Shoulder Press (shoulders)
    Pull Downs (back)

After doing the above you may add bicep work and abs/core.

Workout B

Step Up (lower body)
    Incline Bench or Dips (chest)
    Lateral Raises (shoulders)
    Seated Row (back)

After doing the above you may add tricep work and abs/core.

Lift 3 times per week with this scheme and lift no more often than once every 48 hours in order to give your body time to recover from the routine.:

Week 1 – First lifting day do Workout A,
    Second lifting day do Workout B,
    Third lifting day do Workout A
    Week 2 – BAB
    Week 3 – ABA
    Week 4 – BAB
    Week 5 – ABA
    Week 6 – BAB
    Week 7 – ABA
    Week 9 – BAB

Weeks 1 and 2
    3 sets with 10 -12 repetitions, rest 30 -45 seconds between sets, lift heavy enough to have difficulty finishing the last reps of the last set

Weeks 3 and 4
    4 sets with 8 - 10 repetitions, rest 45 – 60 seconds between sets, lift heavy enough to have difficulty finishing the last reps of the last set

Weeks 5 and 6
    5 sets with 4 - 5 repetitions, rest 60 – 90 seconds between sets, lift heavy enough to have difficulty finishing the last reps of the last set

Take a week off and recover or do some very light weights with a 2 x 15 scheme.

Like I said, this is far from being a professional prepared lifting program but it should give you some idea of what a full body resistance training program looks like.
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym with a squat/power rack, then I would suggest Starting Strength. Starting Strength is a book that has a detailed explanation of how to perform each lift and then lays out a lifting program that you can follow. It's a simple program of 5 compound lifts (meaning they work several muscles groups at once), including squat, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press, and power clean. Another highly recommended and similar beginner lifting program is Stronglifts 5x5, which I believe is a free program you can download.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a good beginers wieght lifting program. I am a runner. looking for a good core and arms program.

What types of equipment do you have access to? Can you see a trainer once or twice to help learn the lifts and work on form?

As a beginner, doing body part splits is going to be pretty inefficient. Look for something full body 3-4 times per week. Compound lifts with free weights is probably going to be the most effective, but anything is better than nothing.
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    There are plenty to choose from, many of which are similar. Starting Strength, Stronglifts, Greyskull LP, Reg Park's 5x5
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is the absolute simplest program I've seen. 3 sets of 5 of 3 different lifts.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Gold standard would be Starting Strength. Next runner up would be StrongLifts 5x5. As long as the program includes sets of 5 reps of squats, deadlifts, ohp, and bench press, you probably can't go too far wrong.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Can you afford a personal trainer for a few sessions to set you up. I have one twice a week.. just because my joints are so weak. and I need spotting in a number of areas. I think it is worth the cost, if you have a certified person who listens to you and your body
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Gold standard would be Starting Strength. Next runner up would be StrongLifts 5x5. As long as the program includes sets of 5 reps of squats, deadlifts, ohp, and bench press, you probably can't go too far wrong.

^This
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    A vote for Stronglifts here as well. I have been doing the program for about 9 months. I had some health problems about 4 months in, unfortunately, but I am finally back up to where I was. Its a great program, easy to follow (especially with a little App on my phone), and it keeps my motivated to diet properly so that I can fuel my lifting. PM me or add me with Questions :)
  • erm13
    erm13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is this program appropriate for women? Stronglifts, I mean
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Is this program appropriate for women? Stronglifts, I mean

Most definitely. There is even a group here "StrongLifts 5x5 For Women" http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • DaWayne360
    DaWayne360 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I’m a runner and I added weight training to my workout about 5 months ago and am pleased with the results. Three days a week I do 45 min of weight training – Day 1 chest/back, Day 2 legs and Day 3 arms/shoulders and I do 6 days of cardio. All I did to come up with a weight training program is use the JEFIT app to find exercises that target the areas I want to work and picked my favorites. www.jefit.com
  • erm13
    erm13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    great! thanks!