Treadmill vs Elliptical

Options
I'm thinking of getting something for my house. Which would you get? Is there a 3rd option that I should consider?

FWIW, I am a runner, and I also walk quite a bit.

Replies

• BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill. Elliptical may be easier on the knees supposedly, but it's completely unnatural for me. My natural gait is one foot directly in front of the other as if on a balance beam. I can do that on a treadmill. I can't do that on an elliptical because the elliptical forces my steps to be parallel to each other. On the treadmill, I can adjust my stride length to whatever I please. On an elliptical, I would have to adjust the machine to get the stride length different; which is a hassle. Also, I got a decent, name brand, brand new, treadmill that works great for me for less than $600. I couldn't have that same budget for an elliptical of the same quality.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I would get a rowing machine and do my running and walking outdoors! But that's just me!!
  • TammyS3
    TammyS3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have both, I prefer the treadmill on an incline. The elliptical KILLS my knees.
  • GainsAndGuitars
    Options
    I would get a rowing machine and do my running and walking outdoors! But that's just me!!

This.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I'd spend that money on a power rack and a few hundred pounds of weights, and run outside. :) Hey, you asked..
  • MissLuana
    Options
    Look into a Cybex Arc Trainer. Depending on your incline settings, you can get a cross-country skiiing workout, an elliptical workout or a stairclimer workout. They burn tons of calories because they work you thigh muscles, the largest muscles in the body.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill and absolutely love my elliptical machine. I run outside, but can't stand it on a treadmill. Everyone is different.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Look into a Cybex Arc Trainer. Depending on your incline settings, you can get a cross-country skiiing workout, an elliptical workout or a stairclimer workout. They burn tons of calories because they work you thigh muscles, the largest muscles in the body.

Ooh! Wish I could afford one of these!!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Of course you could also row outside...
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options

That's actually a pretty good idea too... off too look ...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'd spend that money on a power rack and a few hundred pounds of weights, and run outside. :) Hey, you asked..

^This. I have an elliptical and if I could have, I'd have bought a power rack and weights instead..lol.