HRM vs BodyMedia vs FitBit

Options
I am interested in getting some sort of body monitor/tracker but am confused and don't know what to get. I am looking at a BodyMedia Core or FitBit One or should I just get a simple heart rate monitor? I'd love to hear about others experiences and what's worked for them.

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    You can use BMF for both activity and exercise so wear it all day. Fitbit will measure walking activity only and is not as accurate as BMF. HRM is only for cardio e excise. So I'd recommend firstly BMF or if not use both fitbit AND HRM.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You can use BMF for both activity and exercise so wear it all day. Fitbit will measure walking activity only and is not as accurate as BMF. HRM is only for cardio e excise. So I'd recommend firstly BMF or if not use both fitbit AND HRM.

I agree, only downside to BMF is that you have to pay the monthly fee. Fibit is almost as accurate and you don't have the fee. I love my Bodymedia though.
  • angielynn3
    Options
    Bump! Want to see the responses- I have a HRM but have been debating about the Body media!
  • jaz050465
    Options

I agree, only downside to BMF is that you have to pay the monthly fee. Fibit is almost as accurate and you don't have the fee. I love my Bodymedia though.
    Monthly fee is not that expensive though.
  • slimfitnessmoms
    slimfitnessmoms Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    HRM is different from a fitbit and bodymedia

Hrm (Polar ft40) I use when I do intense exercising.

Fitbit I use daily with everything I do walking and everyday to day things.

I only record my calories burned with my HRM when I do my intense exercising

The calories I burn with the fitbit I feel isn't as accurate and we all burn calories even when sitting..(not much)
    but we do and we dont' record those.

Hope this helps :)
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I started this reseach process last fall. I'm just a social worker so price was a huge factor. I also have to wear girl clothes three times each week to work so style was a factor. I needed something that would track my weight, body fat, lean muscle, movement, sleep and heart rate. Here's what I decided.

Body bug and Mio Active were out for several reasons: initial cost was high and the monthly cost of keeping it up was astronomical. It wasn't something I could ever hide. I don't want to advertise my weight loss journey to the world.

The Nike thing, along with all other wrist bands, were out because I couldn't wear it to work without it looking like I was wearing a teen-ager's rubber band braclet around my wrist.

I setteled on the following mix:
    *FitBit (easily hidden and pretty accurate to track movement, elivation gain and sound sleep)
    **Affordable intiall cost
    **No monthly fee
    **Syncs to MFP which, in my opinion, has the best database for food and I have zero problems with the sync feature
    *Aria digital WiFi scale
    **I sync it to MFP and https://trendweight.com/ both sites are free
    *Endomondo
    **I purchased the $5 "pro" version becuase I WOG not run and the interval program on there is easily customizable for me.
    **I sync this to MFP too
    *I just bought a Wahoo Fitness Heart Monitor Run Pack because FitBit doesn't track non moving exercise like Yoga, Weights and Pilates.
    **It syncs to Endomondo and my iPhone.
    **I log non movement exercises on FitBit.com to get an accurate read of what I'm burning during those exercises.

That makes my overall cost:
    *FitBit $99
    **free website
    *Aria Scale $125
    **trendweight free website
    *Endomondo $5
    *WaHoo Fitness Heart Rate Monitor $99
    **That's a grand total of less than $330 without needing any other costs.

Works for me :)
  • annemw333
    Options
    I started this reseach process last fall. I'm just a social worker so price was a huge factor. I also have to wear girl clothes three times each week to work so style was a factor. I needed something that would track my weight, body fat, lean muscle, movement, sleep and heart rate. Here's what I decided.

Body bug and Mio Active were out for several reasons: initial cost was high and the monthly cost of keeping it up was astronomical. It wasn't something I could ever hide. I don't want to advertise my weight loss journey to the world.

The Nike thing, along with all other wrist bands, were out because I couldn't wear it to work without it looking like I was wearing a teen-ager's rubber band braclet around my wrist.

*FitBit (easily hidden and pretty accurate to track movement, elivation gain and sound sleep)
    **No monthly fee
    **Syncs to MFP which, in my opinion, has the best database for food and I have zero problems with the sync feature
    *Aria digital WiFi scale
    *Endomondo
    **I purchased the $5 "pro" version becuase I WOG not run and the interval program on there is easily customizable for me.
    **I sync this to MFP too
    *I just bought a Wahoo Fitness Heart Monitor Run Pack because FitBit doesn't track non moving exercise like Yoga, Weights and Pilates.
    **I log non movement exercises on FitBit.com to get an accurate read of what I'm burning during those exercises.

*FitBit $99
    **free website
    *Aria Scale $125
    *Endomondo $5

Wow! Thanks for all the information. Definitely looks like you did your research. I am definitely trying to figure out what works best for me. Another caveat is that I like to swim and none of the fitness monitors I have found are waterproof. There are, however, waterproof HRM's so maybe the FitBit/HRM combo you have going on might be an option for me.
  • frainfam
    frainfam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the BMF Core(I just ordered a bigger strap for it) and I will get a HRM to go along with it.
  • annemw333
    Options

**No monthly fee
    *Aria digital WiFi scale
    *Endomondo
    **I sync this to MFP too

*FitBit $99
    **free website
    *Aria Scale $125
    *Endomondo $5

Wow! Thanks for all the information. Definitely looks like you did your research. I am definitely trying to figure out what works best for me. Another caveat is that I like to swim and none of the fitness monitors I have found are waterproof. There are, however, waterproof HRM's so maybe the FitBit/HRM combo you have going on might be an option for me.

Oh and another factor, I do not have a smart phone so something like Endomondo is not an option for me.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I was just coming on here to post and see what the suggestions are. Glad someone posted it! :)

I am looking for something that will record even my calories when just sitting around. I want to know as accurately as possible how many calories I burn each day. Depending on the client at work I do different things and don't always move around as much as other days.
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Fitbit FANTANTIC! I owned it for about 8 months and its my bestfriend! Small, hides easier, free website, and it sync well with MFP, I love the fact that it adjust my calories based on my activity level with just walking and how many steps I take a day. Even when I don't workout, it will still adjust because of how active I was that day, it motivates me to MOVE. When I see that I've only gotten a certain amount of steps or floors in, I get up and start moving. I didn't like the BFM because I was not willing to pay a fee, the others I didn't research..I will tell you this, I do use a HRM because I lift weights and do yoga, fitbit will not give you accurate caloires burned for those. I'm a FITBITTER FOR LIFE -- good luck with whatever you decide!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I was just coming on here to post and see what the suggestions are. Glad someone posted it! :)

I am looking for something that will record even my calories when just sitting around. I want to know as accurately as possible how many calories I burn each day. Depending on the client at work I do different things and don't always move around as much as other days.

Then BMF will be the best thing for you. I wear it with work clothes, I just ruffle up the sleeves of my jacket. Nobody as commented on it.