Help this carb-lovin' lady!

Options
Ok. It's 10:30 a.m. and I'm already at 68g of carbs for the day.

My current goal is to get my carbs down to 150g/day, because in the recent past, it's usually been in the 300-400g/day range. I grew up equating bread and pasta and carby-deliciousness as happiness and love, soooo I'm trying to break that habit. Eventually, I'd like to go even lower-carb, but I think cutting it in half will be a good starting point.

I feel like I'm out of luck for today, because I'm fairly certain that the things I packed for lunch and snacks will exceed my goal of 150g, and if DH makes dinner again, it's *sure* to be carb-loaded. But I want to do better tomorrow!

SO - I need tips on reducing carbs without being miserable. Is it possible? Please help!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm usually pretty low carb (I only eat bread and pasta and stuff when I go out to eat). Feel free to check out my diary. Biggest thing I did was give up cereal type food for breakfast. It causes me to crash (reactive hypoglycemic), so I switched to a protein based breakfast (milk and peanut butter). You don't have to give up carbs, but they do tend to be fairly calorie dense.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    More lean meats to increase protein (but will also increase fat, unfortunately) and more raw veggies. I usually eat a 3-6oz sirloin steak with 1 cup of rainbow salad (shredded broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and red cabbage) and 1/2 cup slice mushrooms. It's pretty low carb, fairy low in fat considering the fact that sirloin isn't the leanest but is good on protein.

Being creative with your meals will keep them exciting while helping you figure out great ways to lower your carbs.

http://www.nutritiondata.self.com has a search tool that can help you find foods that fit your needs and can also give you a nutrient break down on those foods as well!

Hope you figure something out that works for you :)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I was also a carboholic. I'd eat a bagel for breakfast, a peanut butter sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner! It was way too much.

I switched to low-carb (aiming for 100g or less) in early January.

I know I have a weakness when it comes to bread and mac n' cheese, so I don't keep it in the house. I only eat bread when I go out to restaurants - usually one 'cheat meal' a week, where I can stuff my face with carbs LOL.

For breakfast, usually I'll have bacon and eggs, yogurt, fruit, nuts, seeds, etc. Lunches are usually soup, salad or leftovers.

Dinner is easy... just choose a protein source and pair with veggies.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm a carboholic too! But I don't count them. I just aim for healthy meals and I have upped my vegetable intake. Useally for breakfast I have oatmeal, lunch I have a slim fast shake and for dinner I have a big salad with either tuna, egg or cheese for protein and I have one slice of garlic bread with cheese. Somedays when I want to go out for lunch and have a big calorie meal I just envision the scale and tell myself to forget it because I can have garlic bread later. I do feel so much better since I lost some weight and I have 25 lbs to go. You have to figure out a plan that work for you and stick to it. I too have a husband that likes to cook, but I told him that I'm only going to eat that stuff on the weekends. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Go out and buy a carton of egg substitute. Pour the whole thing into a 4 cup measure (just easier to pour than a bowl). Add veggies of your liking, light cheese, and/or real bacon bits. Add spices you like. Mix. Pour it into sprayed muffin cups (this should make 8 large "egg muffins"). Bake on 425 for 25 minutes or until brown. Put 2 into storage baggies, take them to work and reheat them in the microwave on high. 2 of these, on average (depending on what you add it) is usually 70-100 calories. I also while I'm doing this brown up "turkey breakfast sausage". Do the same thing - it's a great on the go breakfast and it's ready for you to grab ever morning. Usually make a batch every Sunday. Carbs are minimal, and protein is really high.

Eat a salad with lean protein and a greek yogurt for lunch. Lean protein and veggies for dinner. I typically have carbs as snacks and really never exceed 175 and that's on a really bad day. If your husband makes dinner, don't eat the carb - steam or bake a few veggies for yourself.

You really just have to get creative.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My main tips are weigh everything.
    Buy bread that comes in smaller portions than you are used to.
    Eat twice as much vegetables as you normally would and reduce your bread/pasta/rice potato intake.
    I try to have an omelette at least once a week as a main meal with lots of veg in it as I struggle to get enough protein (I am vegetarian) and on those days my carbohydrate intake is always lower.
    Look at snacks that have less carbs as well like nuts and seeds.
  • Buryjam1
    Buryjam1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You need to replace carbs with full fat products. Avoid low fat products just full of sugars and by default carbs. Do a comparison with full fat plain Greek yogurt and low fat or anything else for that matter.

You could try no carb in the day, but 25% of meal portion at dinner. So for instance way bacon and cheesy eggs for breakfast - No Bread.

Lunch a hefty portion of tuna mayo (full fat) with salad, but nothing carb like in salad such as pasta or falafel.
  • amandaneverfails
    amandaneverfails Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a carboholic too! But I don't count them. I just aim for healthy meals and I have upped my vegetable intake. Useally for breakfast I have oatmeal, lunch I have a slim fast shake and for dinner I have a big salad with either tuna, egg or cheese for protein and I have one slice of garlic bread with cheese. Somedays when I want to go out for lunch and have a big calorie meal I just envision the scale and tell myself to forget it because I can have garlic bread later. I do feel so much better since I lost some weight and I have 25 lbs to go. You have to figure out a plan that work for you and stick to it. I too have a husband that likes to cook, but I told him that I'm only going to eat that stuff on the weekends. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

I love the idea of the garlic bread 'treat' at the end of the day!
  • amandaneverfails
    amandaneverfails Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Go out and buy a carton of egg substitute. Pour the whole thing into a 4 cup measure (just easier to pour than a bowl). Add veggies of your liking, light cheese, and/or real bacon bits. Add spices you like. Mix. Pour it into sprayed muffin cups (this should make 8 large "egg muffins"). Bake on 425 for 25 minutes or until brown. Put 2 into storage baggies, take them to work and reheat them in the microwave on high. 2 of these, on average (depending on what you add it) is usually 70-100 calories. I also while I'm doing this brown up "turkey breakfast sausage". Do the same thing - it's a great on the go breakfast and it's ready for you to grab ever morning. Usually make a batch every Sunday. Carbs are minimal, and protein is really high.

I keep meaning to try this. I am going to commit myself to doing it this Sunday. Thanks!
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options

That sounds really good. I might try this some time soon. Do they last for a couple of days in the fridge? What veggies keep well in them? I a bit fussy about that (for example, I don't like how peppers freeze and go all soft ... eww).
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

That sounds really good. I might try this some time soon. Do they last for a couple of days in the fridge? What veggies keep well in them? I a bit fussy about that (for example, I don't like how peppers freeze and go all soft ... eww).

They last in the fridge all week. I typically eat them M-Th, then oatmeal on Friday (it's a treat for me!). I usually put some kind of onion, some kind of pepper and mushrooms in mine - really whatever I have in that needs used or looks good. I'd look at it like what I'd put in an omelet - spinach works well too! When you heat the egg muffins up they pretty much taste like an omelet - I find no problems with the veggies getting soft...
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I have a tattoo of a potato to express my love for carbs
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options

They last in the fridge all week. I typically eat them M-Th, then oatmeal on Friday (it's a treat for me!). I usually put some kind of onion, some kind of pepper and mushrooms in mine - really whatever I have in that needs used or looks good. I'd look at it like what I'd put in an omelet - spinach works well too! When you heat the egg muffins up they pretty much taste like an omelet - I find no problems with the veggies getting soft...

Sounds good. :) Why do you use egg substitute? They don't seem to sell that kind of thing in the UK? Or at least not in most supermarkets. Have you tried just using eggs?