Running Shoes???

Options
I just signed up for my very first 5k this summer. I have been very anti-running all my life, so I am very excited to finally want to do something like this. I have been using an elliptical 5 days a week, and as soon as the snow melts around here, I'm going to start jogging outside. But, I have no idea what kind of running shoes to get. I wear Nike Shox around town but they are not the most comfortable after a few hours of walking in them. I have a higher arch in my foot, and am 5'2, 133lbs currently, but hoping to drop 10 in the next few months.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Go get fit at a running store. That's the best option I can give you.

I, personally, prefer Nike or Rebook due to my high arches and prefer zigtech or ziglite to anything.
  • texnurse
    texnurse Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you run, I am flat footed, run on my toes, I have tried Brooks but they were too bulky for me and I decided with a minimalist shoe. I wear reebok realflex, super comfy and great for running 5K's which is my base run. Definitely go to a running store and get fitted first. You don't necessarily have to buy your shoes from them but it will give you an idea of how you run and what your foot needs. It's a great investment but only if you have the right fit for your stride.
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I third going to a running store to get fitted.

I have high arches, pronate, and am primarily a heel striker, and I wear Brooks Trance 12. I love them! Turns out I've been buying the wrongs shoes for forever, and there is a difference between arch support and ARCH support.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

THIS 100% Everyone is different, and if you're going to be doing a lot of running, you need the right shoe for YOU...not what someone else likes, so you absolutely should consult a professional. If cost is an issue, get fitted anyway, and then find the shoes cheaper online!

Good luck!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    aasics gel phoneix 4's are my fav to date.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Yes. This. Asking what a good running shoe is really depends on the runner and how they run, or how they're built. I have to wear motion control shoes, and they're great for me... but I shouldn't recommend them to you.

Go to a running store, let them see how you move and they'll recommend the style you need.

blind recommendations on brands/styles is pointless for right now.
  • Snowbunny95
    Snowbunny95 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I echo what RGv2 said. Go to a local reputable running store (not a generic sports store). They should have you run on a treadmill to check you gait. They can then help you with selecting the shoe that is right for you. I know it seems a bit overwhelming as a beginner runner, but your feet, legs, hips, BODY will thank you for it!
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options

THIS 100% Everyone is different, and if you're going to be doing a lot of running, you need the right shoe for YOU...not what someone else likes, so you absolutely should consult a professional. If cost is an issue, get fitted anyway, and then find the shoes cheaper online!

Good luck!

QFT. Running store is the way to go.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Or try www.roadrunnersports.com/ It has a questionnaire about your running habits, your feet/arches, etc, and then gives you shoes to choose from based on your answers. It's also very comparable, if not cheaper, to shoe stores. I buy all my runners from them and I love their customer service. Good luck!
  • ccmira
    ccmira Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Focus on a great fit...brand and price tells you very little about a shoe. Arch height is even less helpful. Choose a reputable shoe store that will assess your foot and match a shoe that is best for you. If you have access to a running store or a clinical Pedorthist utilize their expertise. Happy Running!
  • BHetrick
    BHetrick Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mizuno's get a really good rating and you can get them in styles which actually fit properly (flat foot, high arch, etc.).
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will go get fitted.
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Please go to a running store and get your gait analyzed and they will suggest the right shoes for you. If you don't like the price, shop online for the same shoe. There is pronation, supination, arch etc., which only a running store can find out properly.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yep, go to a running store and have them fit you for shoes. They know what the best ones are for your gait, instep, pronation, etc. Don't just go for the least expensive pair or the ones that look the best to you. I have been in Brook's Ghost for 3 years but I have a wide foot and I'm a heavy runner that needs more cushion. Good luck finding the right pair for you and good luck on the 5K coming up. You're going to love it so much!!!!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Good on you!

So, I'm 5'2" and 130 as well. I find I love my Avia sneakers, the are light weight, inexpensive (I got mine at Costco) long lasting and best of all, comfortable for me. I notice that I get blisters in Nike's and other brands (I think because the distance between my ankle and the bottom of my foot is smaller... ya know, the 'short' thing). Try a pair on!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options

I agree with this... I did it for the first time this year and am very happy with the results. I had been having some issues with plantar fasciitis, so it was key for me to find a good shoe that fit me properly. I didn't spend much more at the running store than I would someplace else either (~100.. though I have to say, I often really cheaped out in the past just buying the cheapest shoes vs. the best ones. I will not do that again!)

I have these and have been VERY happy so far: http://www.brooksrunning.com/Adrenaline-GTS-13/120123,default,pd.html
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Repeating because it bears repeating.
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    THAT! None of us can suggest you a good pair of running shoes- what works for me might not work for you depending on your feet. I got my feet analyzed last week at the running store and my shoes are just perfect!
  • Videogirl15
    Videogirl15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store years ago when I was doing 5k's....that was the best advise I ever got was to go to a running store and get fitted. I was getting shin splints....after he fit me I was a new woman. Now I know that 's the right fit for me. I'm a little thicker and have a wide foot so he put me in Aisics Gel....he also gave me advise on exercises to alleviate the pain....hope this helps!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ditto the running store, NOT a generic athletic store. Clerks in big athletic stores aren't necessarily runners or know much about the sport. At a specialty running store, you're much more likely to find people who know their stuff and love the sport. Might be a bit pricier, but not as pricey as a running injury.