Shred, run and a 10k

Options
I have been such a slacker for the last 3 months. Quit running, gained 20 pounds, ect...
To motivate myself to get back on the bandwagon, I am signed up for a 10k on 3/10. I started running again this week and am up to 3 miles so far, so I feel good about the 10k.
My question is, I really want to start 30 day shred. My thinking was to do Shred in the am, run in the pm. Am I crazy? Is this too much on my legs, esp while trying to double my mileage in 2 weeks.
My first goal is to run the entire 10k with no walking.
Any feedback for those of you shredding AND running?

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about 30 day shred, and I don't know what your background is as a runner. However, attempting to double your running milage in 2 weeks is generally not advisable. So based on that alone, I would suggest holding off on the shred until after the 10k.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I would hold off. March 10th isn't that far off. Wait until after the 10k then you can start combing the 2.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have been such a slacker for the last 3 months. Quit running, gained 20 pounds, ect...
    To motivate myself to get back on the bandwagon, I am signed up for a 10k on 3/10. I started running again this week and am up to 3 miles so far, so I feel good about the 10k.
    My question is, I really want to start 30 day shred. My thinking was to do Shred in the am, run in the pm. Am I crazy? Is this too much on my legs, esp while trying to double my mileage in 2 weeks.
    My first goal is to run the entire 10k with no walking.
    Any feedback for those of you shredding AND running?

I am doing the Dirty Dash in July which is a 10k obstacle course, so if you want to work up to that goal together by July let's do it!!

As far as the 30 day shred I would say kick your butt as much as you an 2 days a week, the rest of the week stay active and avoid wear and tear injuries. That is the basic philosophy taught in my personal trainer classes. That is of course remembering everyone is an individual.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    After trying to increase my mileage this week, I totally agree that 'shredding' is out of the question! Just too much, too soon, on an out of shape body...Especially the knees:)
    Thanks for the advice!
  • Rands13
    Rands13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am training for a 5K and doing the shred everyday. I do the shred in the morning and run at night. On day 9 of level one.