Co-Workers Bringing In Junk!!!

Options
So I started this new job, and overall it's awesome!

But there is this basket - and in this basket a co-worker keeps overflowing it with chocolate and sweets. >-<
This basket is less than three steps away from my desk...

I bring my own prepared food, and healthy snacks to work that I store in my desk.
Although the chocolate is tempting - the thought of having a hot bod to match this face is harder to resist!

*Sparta kicks basket*

Replies

• lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I work from home now, which makes it easier, but I remember this! When I was in the office, it seemed like there was always a lunch party, a birthday cake, a well meaning coworker bringing in a 10lb bag of candy, etc.

And I may have been projecting, but sometimes it seemed like there was some intentional pressure aimed at anyone that everyone knew was working out or trying to lose weight to get that person to "cheat". Some people have issues with seeing other people succeed! Stay strong!
  • ashmariehay
    ashmariehay Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Exactly lisa799!!!

After he filled the basket with chocolate he just bought - He then brings it over to my desk, and told me to inhale the chocolate smell... I wanted to strangle the s.o.b. !!! He just over heard me talking to other co-workers about how hard I've been working!!!

He will not bring me down! This is my year for change! He can keep his enabling, unmotivational, debbie downer chocolate, and sweets to himself!!!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Imagine maggots on it, and it will turn you off from wanting anything from it.

Works for me
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I used to tell myself that the office candy bowl had nothing in it but licorice - which I HATE - and I wouldn't look at it. I would silently chant "licorice-licorice-licorice" as I walked by it.
  • trgobble
    trgobble Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Omg! My husband always says "all teachers do is eat"--and it is so true! We have a common area table where we eat lunch, and there is ALWAYS some kind of tempting something there. :( This week it's been Girl Scout Cookies. I know how you feel!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Be strong, and it's call to you will fade.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    lol I am totally that co worker who brings in sweets all the time. I love to bake but I don't want to eat it all. To be fair, they ask for it.
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    A co-worker brought in a half dozen red velvet (homemade) iced cupcakes for me as a thank you today. I told her that, while I appreciated the sentiment, I'm a MFP nazi and I'll be eating my lovely strawberries, grapes and cheese for breakfast.

She was respectful and gave the cupcakes to someone else. I find that if you leave no wiggle room for people to tempt you, they generally back off. No means no. ;-)
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    OH. MAN. I'm battling this TODAY!!! They brought in pastries (cannoli's beg my favorite!!) and lots of junk foods. I don't care about the chips and donuts....I LOVE pastries!! grrrrrrrrrr

I did have 1....ok....2whole ones ....but now I have to make up for it and hit the gym....HARD tonight.

What I say is try to make another area a desginated spot for them at the office. And if you can't, sneeze on the foods and force yourself to throw it away. lol :P
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Eh, it's just a fact of life when you work in an office. I occasionally bring stuff in because I also love to bake and don't want a kitchen full of cookies and cupcakes at home. I certainly do not taunt people with it or try to guilt anyone into eating the stuff I bring. If I didn't think it would be rude, I'd hand the stuff out to people I know actually want it and avoid the women who are trying to stick to diets, but I don't want them thinking I don't like them or something.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    You should quit and find a place of employment with co-workers that aren't trying to sabotage you.
  • Finchtastic1
    Finchtastic1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    my boss brings in snacks i.e cookies and sweets i usually eat a few...but lately i am resisting..ate 1 mini baby ruth but other people bring in sweets and i have to learn to say no. My boss also orders pizza sometimes so if she does for lunch i have to eat a tiny dinner! it's annoying because i'm the only one who is into eating right and being thin...so annoying!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    just ignore it..that is what I do ...
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Impressive KICK! Good job!

My (old) boss actually kept the chocolate basket at my desk because she knows I don't eat it and it made her eat less because I would see every time she got chocolate/candy. (not that I cared what she ate)

Over time you realize that those treats aren't worth it and you don't need them.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I work at a doctor's office and we have junk here all the time, for example:

Doughnuts EVERY Tuesday

Coworker brings breakfast one day a week

Reps. bring lunch 1-2 times a week

other reps bring snacks/sweets throughout the week trying to get business

All I can tell you is keep plenty of snacks near you...this is what I do to keep me on the right path and willpower...good luck!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Start imagine that basket covered in hot chocolate dog sh-t. Watch who takes from the basket start thinking about who didnt wash his/her hand when they reached in that basket. Think about how long its been sitting there I bet c0ckroaches run over it at night. Every time you walk by do the sign of the cross. When you get pissed imagine taking that basket and chucking at everyone's stupid face.

If you can resist the basket you can resist anything...its' just food keep saying that to yourself.

Two things that have cured me from the eating at work, besides my montlhy quality kitchen inspections, are once a woman brough in a cake and it was covered in dog hair and the last pot luck I ate I ended up with the hershey's squirts for 3 days!
  • ashmariehay
    ashmariehay Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the motivation / ideas / and over all support! Hope ya'll are having a great week!
    Keep up the awesome weight loss!

-Ash