Overweight ilegal?

Options
wriglucy
wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
I just found this link on yahoo..Im sure some of you have seen it already. But Japan is measuring waistlines and imposing fines for those who are too big. Granted..it seems odd, but, looks like it may help with the diabetes and problems associated with obesity. Bet it would keep health costs down then too, in the long run.

Anyways...just thought it was interesting! Check it out!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/world/asia/13fat.html?no_interstitial

Replies

• wriglucy
    Options
    I just found this link on yahoo..Im sure some of you have seen it already. But Japan is measuring waistlines and imposing fines for those who are too big. Granted..it seems odd, but, looks like it may help with the diabetes and problems associated with obesity. Bet it would keep health costs down then too, in the long run.

Anyways...just thought it was interesting! Check it out!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/world/asia/13fat.html?no_interstitial
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I think it's wrong to make it illegal, however, more has to be done to get people into healthy weight ranges, especially in the states.

Does anybody watch Moment of Truth? One of the questions on the new season was told by a woman from the National Association for the Exceptance of Fat People (or something like that.) I was like, what the heck?!? We need to except people for who they are but I don't like it right when these people who are morbidly obese think it's okay for them to be that way. It doesn't matter what you look like it's just so unhealthy. No wonder health insurance is so damn expensive and it barely gives you anything!!!
  • bittersweet22
    bittersweet22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think its wrong to make it illegal. What has happened to america? We can't say or do anything anymore for someone saying that its "Politically Incorrect". We have 'given' up too many of our rights. I think that if someone wants to be morbidly obese that is their right. I don't think it is healthy or wise. And I couldn't imagine someone wanting to be that way. I think that organic food is a good route, but when you are poor like me you can't afford to go organic. I think that american food has become to prossessed. There are soooo many hormones in our meat now, and ALL fruits and veggies get sprayed with pestisides. Not everyone is meant to be a size 5!
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think it's wrong to make it illegal, however, more has to be done to get people into healthy weight ranges, especially in the states.

Does anybody watch Moment of Truth? One of the questions on the new season was told by a woman from the National Association for the Exceptance of Fat People (or something like that.) I was like, what the heck?!? We need to except people for who they are but I don't like it right when these people who are morbidly obese think it's okay for them to be that way. It doesn't matter what you look like it's just so unhealthy. No wonder health insurance is so damn expensive and it barely gives you anything!!!

I agree, it would be wrong to make it illegal although it would probably help, I understand you may inheret bad genes but everyone has a choice, although it may not be possible for everyone to be skinny I think it is possible for everyone to be within a healthy weight range.
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    I think thats stupid to make it illegal to be overweight. If they have a problem with their people being overweight, they should kick McDonalds and Burger King out! I tutored a couple of japanese students in nutrition and we talked about how their culture is really skinny. And they said...yea but we're starting to get an obesity problem too. And I joked that it probably started when McyD's entered their country. And they agreed full heartedly! And the problem in this country is prices. It's cheaper to buy top romin which has no nutritional value versus buying the ingredients to make a healthy meal! The government should attack THAT issue first before attacking the individuals.
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think instead of making it ilegal the government should ban the junk that fast food places sell, yes there should still be fast food but it should have to meet to acceptable standards
  • rem1979
    Options

I agree, it would be wrong to make it illegal although it would probably help, I understand you may inheret bad genes but everyone has a choice, although it may not be possible for everyone to be skinny I think it is possible for everyone to be within a healthy weight range.

I agree it would help but can you imagine the outrage. I am not saying everyone should be a size 5, I am no where near that and will never be, I am just saying that people need to take action for themselves. It's easier to eat crap and go through drive thru than it is to plan a healthier meal. It's doesn't matter how much or little money you have.

I do know that some companies are offering incentives for people who lose weight or who are within a healthy range. I think this is great motivation to not only to lose some weight and get healthy, but to maybe make more money or get better health insurance rates.
  • bittersweet22
    Options
    Well I agree with the fact that it is cheaper to buy spagetti noodles, meat, sauce and you've got a meal that can feed several people. People do have a choice, some people make healthy choices, and others don't, but that doesn't give the Government the right to say that its illegal.
  • rem1979
    Options
    There should be something done about food prices. It is so true that everything healthy for you is so expensive while you can feed a family for $10 at McD's. I am not rich at all but I do try but sometimes it's just not doable. It's crazy and now with all the crazy weather in the mid-west, prices are going ever higher!!!
  • bittersweet22
    Options
    I know, it really is crazy. What's a person to do? I do wish the Government would do something about the prices.
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    I went to buy apples the other day and they were OUTRAGIOUS! Unfortunately until the gas prices are under controll, food prices are going to rise too. Did you know it takes 1000 bucks just to FILL the trucks???? Ridiculous!:noway:
  • wriglucy
    Options
    I think thats stupid to make it illegal to be overweight. If they have a problem with their people being overweight, they should kick McDonalds and Burger King out! I tutored a couple of japanese students in nutrition and we talked about how their culture is really skinny. And they said...yea but we're starting to get an obesity problem too. And I joked that it probably started when McyD's entered their country. And they agreed full heartedly! And the problem in this country is prices. It's cheaper to buy top romin which has no nutritional value versus buying the ingredients to make a healthy meal! The government should attack THAT issue first before attacking the individuals.

TOTALLY agree!! I think the fast food companies and junk food companies need to start to held more accountable too. Their food is a pollutant, plain and simple. We go after companies that pollute the air, why not those that pollute people's bodies?
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options

TOTALLY agree!! I think the fast food companies and junk food companies need to start to held more accountable too. Their food is a pollutant, plain and simple. We go after companies that pollute the air, why not those that pollute people's bodies?
  • sassycat
    sassycat Posts: 108
    Options
    Overweight should not be illegal, but there needs to be a real motivator out there that would get Americans to want to lose weight and care more about themselves, instead of a bunch of actors/actresses on commercials with the gimmicks to lose weight or all of the pills.

The overweight people that aggravates me are the ones that don't won't to work, so they get fat. There is a person in my town that is like that and admits that is why he is fat.

I can't afford to eat healthy with the organic foods, either. I have to buy what I can afford--since I am trying to raise three kids with a husband. It is hard right now just to make ends meet-especially with the gas prices.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Well they're not just saying 'obesity is illegal', and they're not putting these guidelines in place without reason. Thus far, all they're doing is having people's waistlines measured so they can educate them about the risks of obesity. The COMPANIES performing the check-ups get fined if their employees' health doesn't improve....no one's getting incarcerated. And they aren't just doing this because they don't like people who are "metabo" (lol what a silly word to use). They're trying to prevent a foreseeable obesity epidemic before it ruins their health care system like it's done to ours. Morbidly obese individuals add about 1.5 billion to health insurance costs yearly for obesity-related illnesses. Why hold a restaurant chain accountable for obesity? They aren't forcing anyone to eat their food, and in case anyone's forgotten, you can get fat off of ANYTHING. It doesn't have to be McD's. It can be tofu, chicken sandwiches, fruit, yogurt...when you're in a caloric excess, it doesn't matter what put you there. It's going to fat production if you're sedentary. We can't remove everything from every food supplier. We just have to do a better job of educating our children, getting recess and gym back into schools, and stop putting them in front of the TV when we can't entertain them (not saying people here do that, but in general, it's a problem). Besides that...the culture is entirely different over there. You really can't compare it to the US.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    This really struck me for two reasons:

1. This is coming from a country of smokers. hmmm.
    2. The woman's waist line was larger than the mans - unless this is a mistake by the NY times - I thought the man's waist-line was a little strict.

I'm a true lefty, but I have libertarian tendency's when in comes to regulating individuals.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It is also illegal to have hard nipples showing through your clothing. They actually sell bras that have pads over the nipple area to prevent women from being fined. Crazy crazy.

As far as the health thing goes with measuring waistlines, it would save tax payers a huge amount of money and insurance costs would go down or level off if western countries would quit pigging out like we are running out of food! But I don't think measuring waistlines would be the answer, it's each generation educating the next on how to eat and keep fit....
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If we are truly going to be "the Land Of the Free" then people have to be allowed to make their own choices. That includes eating fast food and being obese if they want to. I agree that we should all be educated so that we can make informed choices but let's keep the government out of the business of policing our daily lives. Also, once the goverment gets involved in anything the cost goes up and quality goes down.....hmmmm.

think about that!
  • heidabear
    heidabear Posts: 10
    Options
    If they're going to make overweight/obesity illegal, then they need to ban smoking and alcohol too. Those are threats to health too. If someone wants to be fat, they should be fat.
  • AngelicDevil80
    AngelicDevil80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I agree. I dont like being the size I am and yes Im losing weight to look better but the number one reason I am is so I dont die younger then I would or so I dont have heart problems.