half marathon

Options
..want to do a half marathon.any tips would be appeciated.two goals loose a 100 lbs and do a half marathon in the same year

Replies

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    ..want to do a half marathon.any tips would be appeciated.two goals loose a 100 lbs and do a half marathon in the same year

I've got my first one at the end of March, practice run sunday. Start off steady don't try and push it just gradually build up the distance/speed. I invested in a running watch as it keeps me focused and pushes me on and I bought that after only a couple of runs.

Get the right shoes.
  • bushokie
    bushokie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    what watch did you get?
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

Great training programs. I'm currently doing the 30 week Novice Supreme marathon training, and it starts you out really easy.

If you're not much of a runner, I definitely would start with a shorter goal, like a 5k, and then work your way up to a half marathon (Couch 2 5k is great). The great thing about a half is that you can run a 5k and a 10k in preparation, that way you know how it is to race with a huge pile of people and really get the feel of a race.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Not to burst your bubble OP, but I have to ask - Are you really ready to start running as much as it takes to prepare for a half marathon? How much do you run now? Can you run a 5k? Can you committ to running 3-4 times a week? Are you ready to run 7, 9, 11 miles at a time?
  • bushokie
    Options
    doing a run/walk program now and i am very committed to doing this
  • acwenzel
    acwenzel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    good luck! i ran my first half in 2009, i loved that distance. I started out with a goal to run a 1.5mi race five months earlier and it took me a total of 8 months to train for the half. I think the biggest things are 1. right equipment for you (find a running store to find shoes) 2. support, someone to do the long runs with is sooo helpful 3. go slow to prevent injury. When i started running i was 215lbs (5'3'' and 27yo female). I was also 3 months post partum and nursing. I couldn't even run a block. So its possible.
  • bspurrie
    bspurrie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The Hal Higdon website mentioned in an earlier post is one of the best websites for training information.

If you are new to running this year than I would caution against moving too quickly. Muscles get accustomed to the pounding much faster than the skeleton. If not careful you can end up with an overuse injury or worse a stress fracture. Always abide by the 10% rule. No one run each week or total overall mileage for the week should ever increase by more than 10%. Hal Higdon plans follow that for the most part. I think it would be best to look at fall half marathons. I am doing one on April 27th and my weekly mileage is between 25 and 30 a week right now. Obviously just to finish one you will be able to get by with less but be patient.

But the best piece of advice would be to take a pair of your used running or walking shoes to a running store, not a department store. They will look at your shoes and should ask you to run in front of them. From there they can recommend a proper running shoe for you. You will pay more at a running store but like anything else, you are paying for their expertise as well. Once you know your shoe type you can bargin hunt later.

Good Luck!

Bill
  • bushokie
    Options
    just went to fleet feet and got measured and socks...
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    good luck! :flowerforyou: i am training for one in May 18th im on my mile runs now :smile: stay motivated
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    start slow, work your way up and set interim goals. Go for a race at the end of the year (give yourself lots of time to train, consider doing a half a full year from now or more if you're only starting), do a 5k first, then work your way up to a 10 so that you have mini celebratory milestones throughout. Once you have finished your 5k race start looking for training schedules for your 10k and your marathon.

Motivation is very important but so is training at a pace that is good for your body, running, especially long distance running is something you have to give your body time to adapt to. (I've run 7 half marathons and 2 fulls so far, have my 8th half in April and my third Full in May).

Feel free to add me if you want tips or to chat about getting into running. I started running seriously in 2009, did my first and second half in 2010 and my first full in Fall 2011.
  • histarrwillis
    histarrwillis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have run over 10 half marathons in the last 4 years and 1 full marathon. The key is to stay focused and don't push your self too much. It is always okay to run/walk. Do not push your yourself too soon because that is when injury will happen. I think everyone can do a half marathon. It's not out of reach. The only person you are competing with it yourself.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    First of all, set a reasonable time line for accomplishing the half marathon. As it's almost March, I'd say pick a date in October. Give yourself PLENTY of time to really learn to run. Most folks can jog around the block, but it takes a lot of training to run 13.1 miles all at once!

Next, find yourself a training plan. I like Hal Higdon's training plans. He has lots of them on the web. All the weird terminology (pace, tempo run, fartleks, etc) will be explained as you look through the site or do a web search. Start witha novice plan. AND, plan to build walk breaks into your run. Especially if you pick a date much earlier in the year than October-ish.

After that, surround yourself with supportive people (and the name of a good sports medicine doc just in case. . .leg injuries are common) and get out there and get RUNNING!!!

Best of luck to you!!!
  • MissHLJ
    MissHLJ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, Thats my goal too (i'm booked into the Birmingham Half marathon). :)

I used the 5K runner app to start me off & keep up my motivation. I found i needed the structure (something telling me what to do) otherwise id stop running as soon as things started to get hard (i'm a bit of a pansy). I then progressed to 10K and now looking to train for a half marathon.

I also use the Sport Tracker app as it allows you to find friends, records your workouts etc etc. Its genius & great for motivation.

When I first started running I ended up with shin splints which are VERY painful! I thoroughly recommend having a gait analysis from a decent running shop so you end up with trainers that suit you. It makes a massive difference although you feel a bit of a t*t running on a treadmill in the middle of a shop.

Id recommend a good play list and only keeping one head phone in so you can still hear the traffic. I run for 30 mins in my lunch hour at work a couple of times a week and then do a longer run at the weekend.

Good luck!!!
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    this is coming from a 300 lb man, iv done a lot of 5-10k mud runs and the half marathon spartan beast. Its all about endurance, I can ride 100 miles on my bike but i have conditioned my body to be able to go that long.

Last weekend was the cowtown marathon the half had a limit of 4.5 hrs which = 2.9 mph just to give you an idea of what kind of endurance and stamina you need to have.

Invest in a good pair of running shoes, i love my brooks. More than anything push yourself further every week.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    what watch did you get?

I ended up getting a Garmin Forerunner 410 with heart rate monitor, I wasn't much of a runner but I find this awesome and makes me want to get out and it takes my mind off what I'm doing as I'm trying to beat the visual pal built in lol.
  • bushokie
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips
  • bushokie
    Options
    awesome tips thank you