10k & HALF MARATHON TRAINING = STARVING

Options
I am training for a 10k and Half Marathon (trying to see if a Half is even possible before I sign up) and run pretty much everyday (2-6 miles right now) except Fridays. I eat dinner after my evening runs and I am starving and I seem to overeat at dinner. When I eat over my calories I show a gain on the scale the next couple of days. Is this normal and is it a true gain or muscle and water retention?

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    you are not eating nearly enough for that level of training. find out your TDEE - 20% or 10% and eat that.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Where are the days you're "overeating" at dinner? I see you leaving 300 calories on the table almost every day. So continue to "overeat" at dinner, then eat another 300 calories (or whatever mfp says you have remaining). You'll feel better, you'll run better, and you'll still be at a calorie deficit (to lose weight). Running 6 days a while while consuming only 1200 calories isn't going to last long. Eat your exercise calories-that's why mfp adds them into what you can eat for the day.
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    you are not eating nearly enough for that level of training. find out your TDEE - 20% or 10% and eat that.

^^^^^ This!

You run almost every day and are training for a 10K and ½-marathon and yet eat 1200-1300 calories per day? Please find out your BMR and TDEE and adjust your food accordingly. Also, for your long runs you need to carry water and food. There are stuff like Gu and PowerGel that are low in calories but will provide you the energy to run.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    When I eat more than 1200 I show a gain on the scale....every single time! :(
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Most likely it is going to show a gain the next day because the food hasn't completely digested. If you are exercising that much you need to eat more and try to only weigh yourself once a week or even 2X a month. Easier said than done but you'll drive yourself crazy worrying about every 1/2 ounce every day. Your weight will fluctuate but if you are eating mostly healthy and ENOUGH that your body feels comfortable building muscle rather than hoarding fuel, you'll see a change in your body!

Good luck!!!
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. I just finished training and running a half. On days I ran over 6 miles I ate back half my cals I burned. Also, you don't need to be running everyday except one day. Tone it back a bit and shoot for 4 days a weeks with one of those days being a longer run and see if that helps

ETA: Ex) on an 8 mile day say I burned 750 cals. I'd eat my normal cals for the day PLUS an additional 375ish
  • GW1970
    GW1970 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    firstly. running every day is going to get you one thing, an injury. rest days are very important make sure you use them.
    Secondly- distance running puts a fair strain on your body and you will want to eat more. i'm training for a half marathon in 11 weeks. i'm eating pretty much as i want at the moment. a few pounds here or there isn't important.

if your running to lose weight , then fair enough. run four times a week and eat at a deficet
    if your running to run distance . then eat at maintance and eat back you exercise cals and don't get on the scales and count the miles? lots of good guides out there. try BUBA's beginners guide to half marathon.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    lets put it into perspective- its takes in excess of 3500 calories to gain 1 lb. So unless you are eating 3500 calories above and beyond your maintenance level every night, there is no way that your "gain" is fat.

What is is most likely? Well with the amount of running that you are doing its more than likely water and glycogen storage due to you using your muscles. Your weight will fluctuate daily sometimes in excess of 5 lbs depending on things like sodium intake, water intake, etc.

If you are truly training for a 10K and a 1/2 marathon you need to be eating if not at maintenance than even a little more than that. You need the fuel in order for you to maintain that type of level .
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've trained and ran several half's and one full. I have NEVER lost weight while I trained because of the 'starving' issue that you're having. HOWEVER, i was eating closer to 1500 cals, but probably needed more than that. I'm commenting because I'd also like to know the answer. Also, I've consulted a few people who are avid weight lifters (meaning their more into HIIT workouts and weight lifting) and according to one trainer, she 'HATED,' running for this reason because. I think the whole TDEE thing that everybody is talking about here might be your answer. I've also heard from another person that when she picked up running she lost majority of her muscle mass. Which to me is a bit depressing because I LOVE both!!!

Good luck!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. When I am training for a race I usually make sure that I am netting around 1700 calories, minimum. Anything else keeps me hungry and tired and my chances for a bonked run go way up. Often, on long run days, I would net closer to 2000.

Every race I've trained for I've either seen no loss on the scale during training or even an increase. But my clothes always fit better by the end of the training.

You need to fuel your body when you're training. 1200 calories a day just isn't going to do it.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Maybe thats because, according to your diary, you eat processed fast food after your run every day... try having some quality food, A steak with sweet potato and a big ol salad or some such goodness, for supper instead of your usual. and ditch the empty carbs before bed. You could probably eat 2000 calories of nutritious food in place of 1200 calories of fast food and lose weight... IMO.
  • SanMcK70
    SanMcK70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in this too. I lost a lot of weight and am now really into exercising, and I want to train for a bike race. I keep my daily calorie intake at 1400 and friends say that is too low. So I'm wondering what is TDEE?
  • stamfordjules
    stamfordjules Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm in training for both too as well as trying to lose weight (currently 28 pounds over my max. BMI). I eat 1270 cals basic for my 1 pound a week weight loss (I'm 5' 2") and eat back most of the calories I gain for exercise. I track the MFP calories over 7 days on a spreadsheet to make sure I keep to the weekly totals. that way I'm not stressing over ups/downs each day and I can eat around my needs. I run in the morning so sometimes I eat more calories the day before the run rather than the actual day - but it doesn't always work like that!

I weigh myself everyday because the fluctuations interest me, but only track my weight on Monday mornings, steady loss of just over 1 pound a weeks!

I train 3 days a week and will increase this to 4 days in the 2 months before the half-marathon. I use schedules down loaded from Runners World and Women's Running - adapted to suit me.

Good luck xxx
  • apickles1978
    Options
    couple of things, eat protein and a fruit or vegetable right after you are done. you are starving your body!

You should not be running every day, your muscles are not recovering. 3 miles one day, skip a day, 4 miles, skip a day.

strength train in between.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You've got to feed the machine! And, what has me concerned is the amount of running you are doing. As you start adding longer distances, you're going to be putting a TON of stress on your body. Check out some of Hal Higdon's training plans. You'll see that 6 days a week of running is actually going to be counter productive in the long run.

If you have added running to your weight loss regimen, you will find it torches calories. But, to be a distance runner, you need to feed your body and treat it well. You can't starve it and pound the pavement 6 days a week and expect it to cooperate.

It takes time and patience to lose the weight AND to train your body to handle long distance running.

Good luck! Running is addictive so I hope you find the right balance point so you maintain good health.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Maybe adjust your macros? I know the default MFP setting is pretty heavy on carbs. I find that, especially when I'm training hard, I need lots more protein and fat to feel satisfied. Fiber is important, too, in helping you feel satisfied.

I agree with others, though, and reviewing your calorie goals would be a good idea. I can't imagine running 6 days a week and staying below 1300 calories. I typically eat all my exercise and my starting goal is 1800. One days when I do a long run it's common for me to eat nearly 2300 calories!
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been running and training for over 20 years. I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with running 6 days a week if your body can handle it, and if you train smart. That includes fueling your body properly. What are your goals?? Are you wanting to be able to finish a 10k and a half marathon, or are you wanting to run a faster 10k and half? Or are you just trying to lose weight? Or do you want to run faster AND lose weight? Your goals make a big difference as to how you should approach your eating and training. If you are mainly wanting to lose weight, then why do you want to train for a half? Training for a half doesn't necessarily mean you're going to lose more weight than training for a 10k.

I find it hard to give advice to you b/c I don't know any of the above information. All I can tell you right off the bat is that if you are training for a half marathon, you are starving yourself.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've been running and training for over 20 years. I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with running 6 days a week if your body can handle it, and if you train smart. That includes fueling your body properly. What are your goals?? Are you wanting to be able to finish a 10k and a half marathon, or are you wanting to run a faster 10k and half? Or are you just trying to lose weight? Or do you want to run faster AND lose weight? Your goals make a big difference as to how you should approach your eating and training. If you are mainly wanting to lose weight, then why do you want to train for a half? Training for a half doesn't necessarily mean you're going to lose more weight than training for a 10k.

I find it hard to give advice to you b/c I don't know any of the above information. All I can tell you right off the bat is that if you are training for a half marathon, you are starving yourself.

Thank you...I know several people who run everyday. I do not run hard, fast runs everyday...I just run where I am comfortable except on some days.

I started running to lose weight and noticed how great it is for losing weight and toning my legs (which is my problem area). I have found an addiction to running now and run because I enjoy it and it is something I never thought I would be able to do. I do like to better my 5k times but as far as a 10k and half-marathon is to just complete it. It is such an accomplishment to cross the finish line doing something you never dreamed you would be able to do. I am about 8 pounds from my goal of 130 and would like to get to that goal but I just do not want to run to eat. I want to be able to enjoy running without gaining weight. Does this explain better?

I
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a 1/2 right now and I eat about 2200 a day. I even go over that sometimes. No wonder you are starving. And there is no way you are gaining weight eating that little with the amount you are running. You have to eat more.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    omg SAAAAAAAAAAALT.
    You need to cut that way down. That's why you are hungry and feeling a bloat.

Also, weigh in once a week. Daily changes are normal, and you will retain water after you eat a bag of funyuns.