Paleo lifestyle change? Did anyone hate it?

Options
After a few health issues, I've decided to make the lifestyle change to eating Paleo. For me, this is about a life style change, not just a 30 day diet to loose weight,. I"m probably not following the diet super strictly, but I am eating mostly meat, veggies, nuts, and a little fruit. My goal is to try at least 30 days to see if I feel better, then decide my options from there. I'm on day 6 and feeling pretty good. I'm down 5lbs, although I'm sure it's all water weight. The first 3 days were hard, I'm pretty sure I had the carb flu. I've started sleeping better, no aches and pains, and I"m getting used to the constant energy level, instead of the massive roller coaster of energy I was getting from sugar. I haven't felt good enough to start exercising again, but I'm getting there soon.
Did anyone try to make the change to Paleo and hate it? Why?
Did anyone try it and not see changes in how you feel? Any thoughts on why?
Did anyone have negative affects from it?

Replies

• BullletproofPaleoman
    Options
    After a few health issues, I've decided to make the lifestyle change to eating Paleo. For me, this is about a life style change, not just a 30 day diet to loose weight,. I"m probably not following the diet super strictly, but I am eating mostly meat, veggies, nuts, and a little fruit. My goal is to try at least 30 days to see if I feel better, then decide my options from there. I'm on day 6 and feeling pretty good. I'm down 5lbs, although I'm sure it's all water weight. The first 3 days were hard, I'm pretty sure I had the carb flu. I've started sleeping better, no aches and pains, and I"m getting used to the constant energy level, instead of the massive roller coaster of energy I was getting from sugar. I haven't felt good enough to start exercising again, but I'm getting there soon.

I LOVE how I feel when I eat and move according to Paleo guidelines. Energy and mood are like a million times better. As far as negative affects... it seems like I can't tolerate carbs or processed foods without going into a sugar coma.

I'm new to this board, but frankly I'm surprised by how many posts I've read by people who aren't losing weight, who then list all the processd carbs they eat. When I eat bagels or pretzels or bread or whatever, my body will store every freaking molecule as fat, plus a bunch of water to dilute the inflammation that stuff has caused.

Welcome to the Paleo Lifestyle!
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I are getting ready to start this. We will be doing it for the month of March. My daughter has a lot of minor health problems and we are wanting to see if eating healthier, and cutting out sugar and grains will help. We tried the Gluten free for a week and she said it helped, so hopefully this will help even more.
    We have been researching and trying to get our house ready, no breads, no sugar type stuff, no pasta in the house.
    I am looking forward to seeing how it works out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would hate giving up legumes for even a week. I eat them pretty much every day. I would miss grains (a lot!), but I would be totally miserable without my hummus, beans, peanut butter, etc.
  • Videogirl15
    Videogirl15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much on a paleo diet but I am eating grains. Since I made the switch I have more sustained energy throughout the day. I made a big switch just a couple of weeks ago. Gave up...fried, fast foods completely, white flour, white sugar, switched to whole grain bread, brown rice, eat a sweet potato maybe once a week. Veggies galore, and more fish and poultry, less red meat. I now make sure there is not fat on my meat. I do have some dairy, but I have also cut down on that. It's going very well!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I am pretty much on a paleo diet but I am eating grains. Since I made the switch I have more sustained energy throughout the day. I made a big switch just a couple of weeks ago. Gave up...fried, fast foods completely, white flour, white sugar, switched to whole grain bread, brown rice, eat a sweet potato maybe once a week. Veggies galore, and more fish and poultry, less red meat. I now make sure there is not fat on my meat. I do have some dairy, but I have also cut down on that. It's going very well!

What you describe here, is not really even close to the Paleo Diet.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I was getting ready to say the same thing.
  • gooseberrypink
    Options
    Yes, I hated it. I developed a skin infection (did a google search and found this is not super uncommon), was chronically fatigued, my cycle became a disaster (also not uncommon), and I don't like eating meat. It's not the diet for me. I think the basics of the diet are good, to focus on real foods, but peanuts and oats are real foods.
  • miss_sarcastic
    Options
    I'm more primal than paleo (I allow grass-fed butter, and occasionally some high-quality cheese), and I've been on it for almost a year, save for a few weeks where life got hectic. Been on it strictly since mid January, and am down 14 pounds in about 6 weeks. I sleep better, my eczema went away (I think gluten irritates it), I think clearer, I have more energy...

And I feel like crap if I eat processed foods now, which I found out the hard way at a superbowl party earlier this month... lol.

<3 Paleo/primal.
  • aprilt83
    aprilt83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I was ok with it, but my intestines hated me. I feel MUCH better eating some grains.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I tried it and had severe...digestive problems, painful and inconvenient ones.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options

I was getting ready to say the same thing.

I third the nonsense...
  • rabt6f
    rabt6f Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I LOVE how I feel when I eat and move according to Paleo guidelines. Energy and mood are like a million times better. As far as negative affects... it seems like I can't tolerate carbs or processed foods without going into a sugar coma.

I'm new to this board, but frankly I'm surprised by how many posts I've read by people who aren't losing weight, who then list all the processd carbs they eat. When I eat bagels or pretzels or bread or whatever, my body will store every freaking molecule as fat, plus a bunch of water to dilute the inflammation that stuff has caused.

I'm feeling better today, but I still don't feel that I have enough energy to exercise yet. I still have some lingering carb flu symptoms. Do you remember how long it took you to feel 100% and ready to tackle every day to the fullest?
  • BullletproofPaleoman
    Options

I'm feeling better today, but I still don't feel that I have enough energy to exercise yet. I still have some lingering carb flu symptoms. Do you remember how long it took you to feel 100% and ready to tackle every day to the fullest?

Dr. Eades has a good article about low carb flu. For me, it takes about 2 or 3 weeks to kick cravings and feel awesome.
    Exercise: I DON'T EXERCISE UNTIL I FEEL TOO GOOD NOT TO.

In the past, I have forced it and it gave me panicky feelings and made me anxious.
    You might try some Qi Gong movements that you can find on Youtube.
    I'm glad you are feeling better today!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Do you think you would have had different results if you'd given up the processed crap, but not followed a Paleo Diet?
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    snip...

I felt really lethargic and grumpy from day 2 to 10. I also was pretty new to MFP and eating 1200 cal or under because I didn't know better, and I was not eating much fat. So I think I was making myself feel worse. But at day 11, a switch flipped and I felt great. It was around that same time I upped my cals to 1400 and increased my fat significantly.

Also, you do not need to be low-carb and Paleo. You can eat plenty of good carbs from fruit and veggies. It's probably lower carb than most diets, but doesn't have to be extreme unless you prefer that. I personally feel better on low carb than not, but that's me.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Over a year and going strong. Will continue the rest of my life.
  • rabt6f
    Options
    snip...

I felt really lethargic and grumpy from day 2 to 10. I also was pretty new to MFP and eating 1200 cal or under because I didn't know better, and I was not eating much fat. So I think I was making myself feel worse. But at day 11, a switch flipped and I felt great. It was around that same time I upped my cals to 1400 and increased my fat significantly.

Also, you do not need to be low-carb and Paleo. You can eat plenty of good carbs from fruit and veggies. It's probably lower carb than most diets, but doesn't have to be extreme unless you prefer that. I personally feel better on low carb than not, but that's me.

Thanks. I'm hoping the carb flu will pass soon. It's nice to know yours passed around 10 days, maybe I'll feel better by this weekend. I want to get back to exercising again, but I know if I do it now, I'll just want to lay on the couch for hours afterwards and I can't do that. I have a toddler to chase around!
    As for my carbs and fats, I've been watching both of them closely. I'm sure I"m eating less carbs than normal, but I'm not trying to eat low carb. Since my focus isn't really loosing weight, I'm just focusing for now on eating right and eating enough calories. After 30 days of Paleo, I"ll set a new goal in regards to eating (such as eating a certain amount of carbs or fats, ect), but for now, I'm just focusing on eating right.
  • rabt6f
    Options

Dr. Eades has a good article about low carb flu. For me, it takes about 2 or 3 weeks to kick cravings and feel awesome.
    Exercise: I DON'T EXERCISE UNTIL I FEEL TOO GOOD NOT TO.

In the past, I have forced it and it gave me panicky feelings and made me anxious.
    You might try some Qi Gong movements that you can find on Youtube.
    I'm glad you are feeling better today!

Thanks, I guess I have a little more time before all this passes and I feel awesome and can exercise again. I really want to start but I know if I do, I won't have any energy for anything else. Hopefully just a few more days. Thanks