Can't stop thinking about food

Options
How do I get food off my mind? I can't stop thinking about what my next meal or snack will be. How can I make that stop?

Replies

• schlagers
    Options
    I have TOTALLY been where you are...and still have those moments once in awhile. After I would finish a meal I was already thinking about my next meal...it drove me crazy! You really need to find what works best for you, what worked for me was to keep myself busy. At work I would really focus hard core on what I was doing, at home I would get up and do laundry or clean or go outside. Keeping busy might work for you, or it might not...but it's a start :) Feel free to add me as a friend. We can keep each other on track!
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think about food pretty much every second of the day. Maybe because my job is really boring and I have a lot of time to think about food and different recipes and things to try. I also cook all of my food and make my own things like hummus and rice milk. One thing that has helped is preparing meals in advance or cooking so that I have left overs ready. That helps some because I know what my next meal will be. But I still think about food all day long. Let me know if you figure something out!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    i was doing the same ..i think it was because i was eating too many carbs and snacks. They were all within my calorie goals..but it just had me thinking about food, food, food. It was draining. So i've cut my yummy crunchy snacks...limiting carbs..and I have that monkey off my back.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this since I was four lol
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I still think about food constantly. I've just changed from thinking about pizza and cheeseburgers into delicious yet healthy foods. Consider it a cooking challenge. Soups, salads and pretty much anything homemade that doesn't involved enriched pasta (switch to high fiber pastas) and tries to focus on lean proteins like fish or chicken will steer you in the right direction. Don't be afraid of a little pork or beef though. It just shouldn't be the only thing.

Today's lunch was spicy gumbo without rue (cooked down instead of using the butter sauce). Tonight will probably be kale greens with kielbasa and bacon. Both of which are very low calorie and exceptionally delicious.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller meals more often? And make sure you get enough food for your activity level.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.
    I've recently started chewing Eclipse gum. 5 calories for two pieces.
    Or try brushing your teeth.
  • jogy
    jogy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have TOTALLY been where you are...and still have those moments once in awhile. After I would finish a meal I was already thinking about my next meal...it drove me crazy! You really need to find what works best for you, what worked for me was to keep myself busy. At work I would really focus hard core on what I was doing, at home I would get up and do laundry or clean or go outside. Keeping busy might work for you, or it might not...but it's a start :) Feel free to add me as a friend. We can keep each other on track!

Same here, I keep busy. It is why I have a hard time not snacking in the evening...once the kids are put to bed that is where I have free time. I am trying to incorporate reading to my routine. Because I read in bed, it keeps me away from the kitchen:)
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    No clue... I have always had this problem. Stop fighting it and use it to your benefit! Plan food out, think about your planned meals and snacks, and what you will make tomorrow. When you get excited about what you planned you stay on track.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Its called an obsession of the mind. I did not realize I had it with booze until I stopped drinking. All I thought about was vodka, I was watching Prison Break one night and did not hear any of the dialogue because I was staring at the bottle of Grey Goose behind the bar in the scene.

If you come to the conclusion you could be a food addict, the steps of OA could help a great deal, I know that my 12 step program changed me in ways I never thought possible. I am now 5 years and 23 weeks sober, have lost 40 lbs and 14% body fat. It was all because I chose to make a change in my life and not let my obsession control me.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I eat fresh fruit and vegatables so that I can snack and still eat within my calorie goals.
    I also drink green tea which takes the mind off of the stomach.

Exercise is a known appetite suppressant, and it makes room for a treat every once in a while.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I think if you are hungry, you should eat. Have some healthy go to snacks that satisfy you. If I'm hungry I will eat baby carrots, celery and hummus with calamata olives. Or an apple and a nature valley granola bar, and maybe a cup of organic skim milk. And, I drink a lot of water. It keeps me from impulsively giving in to something not so good for me. And, if you are still thinking about food, think about some healthy dishes to try. Look them up online or get a magazine at the grocery store (the ingredients are right there!) I just tried a surprisingly delicious beet and black bean burger. :noway:
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    No clue... I have always had this problem. Stop fighting it and use it to your benefit! Plan food out, think about your planned meals and snacks, and what you will make tomorrow. When you get excited about what you planned you stay on track.

^this exactly.
  • wormy80
    wormy80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try, it is totally an obsession and I wish it would go away. Food makes me happy, eating at a restaurant with my family is awesome for me. I've got to ditch that mentality. I also love to cook, but hate to grocery shop, so I end up making the same thing over and over because we have the stuff on hand.
  • BullletproofPaleoman
    Options
    How do I get food off my mind? I can't stop thinking about what my next meal or snack will be. How can I make that stop?

I used to have the exact same problem. Now I don't at all. AT ALL.
    Two things made all the difference:

1: Eating a Ton of protein at breakfast. (Google Dr. Jack Kruse's Leptin Reset Protocol).

2: Drinking Bulletproof Coffee at breakfast. (look around Bulletproof Executive website).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.

Gum is fabulous! Also theres nothing wrong with looking foward to your next meal. Thats a good thing I think you should be hungry before you eat. Make sure you get to the doctor to make sure your hormones and blood sugar are normal.
  • lldelmonte
    lldelmonte Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think about food all the time too. Sometimes I find myself chanting in my head "cheeseburger, cheeseburger, pizza, chicken"! I'm not kidding - then I catch myself and say "OMG, really". (Once in awhile I even find my lips moving as I do the mental chant!)

Seriously though, I do think higher protein lower carbs helps go minimize the food thoughts.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.

5 calories of pure sucrose which will go to that fine a$5
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    do you proponents of high protein think that it really cuts back on thinking about food, or does it just keep you hungry? I"m not hungry, I know I" not, but I can't stop thinking of what supper will be or what snack I could eat, I don't always act of these thoughts, but I wish they would go away so I could think about something else.