Exercise = More Protein? Carbs? Both?

Options
I've started aiming for 1g/lb of LBM for protein... .5g/lb of LBM of fat. I've also started exercising every other day - always 20/25 min cardio and strength training. The length of strength training varies based on the day and target muscle group. But, no matter the length, I wouldn't call it heavy lifting by any means.

When I exercise, of course, MFP increases my caloric allotment - and, thus, my macro goals. I'm trying to eat back around half of my exercise calories.

Question is: When I exercise (cardio and weights), do I increase protein accordingly? Or should I be focused on increasing carbs on those days?

I know it's different for everyone.... I'm just trying to get a general idea.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    At 1g/lb of LBM for protein and .5g/lb of LBM of fat, you are getting adequate protein and fat, so you may increase whatever you like.

You might also consider setting your calorie target based on your TDEE, and not itemizing the exercise calories separately.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    At 1g/lb of LBM for protein and .5g/lb of LBM of fat, you are getting adequate protein and fat, so you may increase whatever you like.

This. I increase both.
  • Trent62
    Options
    Carbs=energy
    Protein= Muscles

Lack of Carbs will effect with intensity of your workouts. This is why its difficult to maintain intense training schedule while low carbing.

Depending on what time you work out will determine what you eat and when. If your like me and workout after work, you should have consumed most of your carbs for the day already.( Carbs are bad after 7pm) After your workout consume a modest amount of Protein depending on your goals to build muscle (30 to 50 grams). Most protein bars / shakes contain at least 25/serv...I love chicken or turkey breast or salmon / tuna wraps. Providing you have the calories left over.

What I have learned over the years is pick one. Either you want to either 1) build muscle or 2)maintain muscle and tone and loose weight. Dont try and do both 1 and 2.

SInce I do a 6 day split workout with eights and cardio. I consume the carbs before workouts and the protein afterwards.

Good luck

T
  • Fiesty1006
    Fiesty1006 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

What I have learned over the years is pick one. Either you want to either 1) build muscle or 2)maintain muscle and tone and loose weight. Dont try and do both 1 and 2.

I exercise early in the morning before work.

I'm trying to maintain and lose weight. I don't want to build muscle at this point.
  • Fiesty1006
    Fiesty1006 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You might also consider setting your calorie target based on your TDEE, and not itemizing the exercise calories separately.

I definitely plan to do this in the future... But I have a high BF% right now. The dietician/nutritionist/whatever she was suggested my current calorie goal.