Walking

Options
This may sound like a silly question, but do you log walking? For example walking to and from work/school/shops?

Replies

• baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. If the walk is at least 10 mins. I log it.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    No, not unless you are taking an extended brisk walk. Especially no if this is an activity that is part of your daily life.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    No.

The only walking I log is when I purposely go out and walk for the sole purpose of exercise.
  • LemonJADE
    LemonJADE Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Okie dokie, thanks! :)
  • Cherylllyn
    Cherylllyn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For work no, for exercise yes.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Before beginning this journey, my daily activity included 8 hours in a chair with a book and a cat, plus 5-6 hours in front of a computer. I still need at least 4-5 hours in a chair with a book and a cat every day. So yes, I count all my walking. But... I only ever do it for exercise. I live on a highway, and can't exactly walk to any stores or anything. LOL
  • missfattypot
    Options
    I do, specially when I miss my workout and then do a long brisk walk!
  • Veggiebeat
    Veggiebeat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    On days when I don't go the the gym, I take my dog out for a nice, long walk (1-2 hours) and I log it. I don't typically log our shorter walks. If you walk a lot in your daily life and don't want to log it, maybe you should think about changing your activity level on MFP?
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I only log walking that isn't part of my daily schedule. i.e. if I take an extended walk for exercise purposes. Walking to the bank is a regular part of my life so I don't log it.
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I used to log it until I got a fitbit. Now it just does it automatically.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    No, not unless you are taking an extended brisk walk. Especially no if this is an activity that is part of your daily life.

I don't like this blanket statement...we don't know how far she's walking or how fast. I go to the gym every day but that doesn't mean I shouldn't log that activity, right? It's not like doing the dishes or cooking dinner, things that wouldn't necessarily increase your heart rate. Also, I've read that doing 10 minutes 3x/day is just as beneficial as doing 30 minutes at a time.

OP, I would suggest using a website/app like mapmywalk to figure how far and how fast you're walking that way you can accurate log it. If it's at least 10 minutes of walking at a time, I think it's worthy of logging.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My walk is 3 miles a day. I do not log it because it is my routine and I was overweight when I was doing it. I only log "extra" things I do, and only if they are intensive.
  • skidoo1122
    Options
    No I do not only when I exercise.
  • healthyforme1966
    Options
    I disagree. Walking should be logged. Walking is walking and exercise is exercise whether you are walking 20 minutes to school or 20 minutes just to walk. It all counts and it all benefits the walker.