Richard Simmons????

Options
I am an overweight 29 year old woman. I have over 100 pounds to lose and exercising is hard for me just starting out. I found a Richard Simmons dvd at walmart yesterday and on a whim I bought it. I did it last night and actually enjoyed myself. I was sweating, my muscles were burning and I felt great afterwards. I am just wondering if anyone else has lost weight with these videos. I want to try it for a few months 5 days a week for an hour until I can lose some weight and get into better shape. I am uncomfortable going to the gym so I am looking for something to do at home until I can build up the confidence to go to the gym or it warms up outside and I can get out there and walk. If you have any success stories with Richard Simmons let me know. Thanks

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Diet is what's most important. Get that in check, find exercise you love and you will lose weight. You should also incorporate some strength work into your routine. You can go back to Walmart and get some resistance bands for a good start before progressing to freeweights.
  • MommaRoseFitness
    MommaRoseFitness Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When I was younger my mom lost over 100 lbs. Doing his videos
  • freindsofmine
    freindsofmine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I started off with Richard s when I was 16-17 I had a blast .don't remember what happened to my videos (,yes long time ago .)I think I would still injoy it today .good idea next time I go to target kmart I will pick up some of his new stuff goofy dude love it .
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I have a few of his videos ..... I use them ever so often ........I love leslie sansone walking the pounds off which I do quite often ...Good luck to you
  • mrsflowers47
    mrsflowers47 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love his tapes an had forgotten just how much fun they were. I liked the fact that I was in control. If i was not able to work out for 10 minutes, that was fine. I did what I could and that was a lot better than nothing! Music has always been a great motivator! Good luck with your weight loss. I just got started with myfitnesspal and I love it. I lost 7 lbs last week!! I am learning a lot bout my weight problems! Hope you will too!:flowerforyou:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yep. A good portion of my early weight loss was thanks to Sweatin' to the Oldies and a balanced diet.
  • anglxanadu27
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE his workouts. It doesn't even feel like a workout just fun :smile: And yes they do help you lose weight :happy:
  • spolice973
    Options
    any professional will tell you, "just keep moving!" and if richasd simmons help you do that, then go for it. remember when you choose your workouts: Moving is more productive than NOT Moving. if you're doing something you don't like, you're going to do less of it...if you love it and are having fun, you'll do it more. and if you're moving more, you're losing more!
  • kkmang2910
    Options
    Richard is an awesome place to start. Good for you. The best thing is that his activities are fun and keep you motivated and moving which is most important! I have old VHS tapes from back in the day, I've moved on to other workouts but I still pull him off the shelf from time to time and have a BLAST!
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    I had the pleasure of meeting Richard Simmons a number of years ago at a work conference. They brought him in for an early morning fitness session. Even have a picture of him sitting on my lap! lol He was a truly sincere, nice guy. And we did have fun with the workout that day.
  • bermudamel
    Options
    I love his videos! I use them on days when I don't get to the gym or need a quick "pick me up", the disco one esp. is great! Its a great start :-)
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Options
    I have sweatin to the oldies four thanks for posting this. it inspired me to use these for my work outs and up my activity.
    I bet I can do it now. I had it back when I weighed 250 pounds and was so out of shape doing it. now at 186 pounds I am thinking try again
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    All that matters is you are moving, sweating, and enjoying your exercise. When I first started out I was just doing the Wii Fit. As I lost more weight I could do more. I think what you're doing is fine for now. Just keep it up! :)

Good Luck!
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    RICHARD SIMMONS HAS BEEN MY BOYFRIEND FOR OVER 40 YEARS NOW , THAT'S WHAT PAPA SAYS LOL I SPEND A LOT OF TIME WITH HIM FIRST THING IN THE MORNING GETS THIS OLD BODY MOVING. ANY KIND OF MOVEMENT HELPS... SOMETIMES I PUT HIS TAPE ON AND CLEAN HOUSE , MOVING MY TUSH ALL THE WHILE AND SINGING TO THE TOP OF MY LUNGS, UNTIL THE NEIGHBORS CALL TO SEE IF I'M HURT OR TO TELL ME I HAVE THEIR DOGS HOWLING.
    I HAVE MOST OF HIS TAPES WORE THEN OUT AND NOW HAVE REPLACED THEM WITH DVD'S.

HOWEVER YOU NEED A WELL ROUNDED EXERCISE PROGRAM TO WORK ALL YOUR MUSCLES AND TO TONE.

I HAVE JUST ORDERED ZUMBA DVD'S CANT WAIT.. I LOVE MUSIC AND I LOVE TO DANCE SO WHY NOT COMBINE THAT WITH EXERCISE AND HAVE FUN TOO . BOTH R.S. AND ZUMBA ARE GOOD WORK OUTS AND YOU CAN REALLY GET A BURN DOING THEM. I LIKE TO MIX IT UP WITH EXERCISE OTHER WISE I GET BORED AND KEEP WORKING THE SAME MUSCLES.

WALKING IS ALWAYS GREAT , I'M DOING A STEP PROGRAM WORKING MY WAY UP TO 10,000 STEPS NOW AT AROUND 2500 STEPS, AND THEN 12-15000 PLUS TO LOSE WEIGHT .

I ALSO LIKE JUMPING ROPE AND REBOUNDING ALL THINGS YOU CAN DO FROM HOME A MFP FRIEND TURNED ME ONTO HULA HOOPING , 'IM TIRING TO FIND ONE IN EXTRA LARGE. LOL

ONE THING THAT HELPS ME IS HAVING A WALKING BUDDY, MY DOG "BUDDY" IS HIS NAME IS GREAT, BUT I LIKE HAVING SOMEONE TO TALK TO AND WALK WITH.

LIFTING IS IMPORTANT TO BUILD MUSCLE AND FOR TONING
  • MissDeAnn
    MissDeAnn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a few of his videos ..... I use them ever so often ........I love leslie sansone walking the pounds off which I do quite often ...Good luck to you

i love leslie to. I love doing the walk away the pounds boot camp.
  • graciesmomma0209
    graciesmomma0209 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have sweatin to the oldies four thanks for posting this. it inspired me to use these for my work outs and up my activity.
    I bet I can do it now. I had it back when I weighed 250 pounds and was so out of shape doing it. now at 186 pounds I am thinking try again

I weight 262 and just did 45 minutes of Party off the pounds. l am loving this dvd and afterwards my muscles are twichy and I am sweating up a storm.
  • graciesmomma0209
    graciesmomma0209 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There are also a lot of moves that he does in his dancing where I thought about incorporating some small weights to tone the muscles in my arms. I am going to do this for a few months and see what happens. I also want to try Zumba and eventually move on to Jillian Micheals 30 day shred and maybe someday even P90x or Insanity.
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have an old Sweatin to the Oldies 2 VHS tape that I have been eyeing to pull out of the rack, dust off and slip into the VCR...I just might have to do that this week.
    :flowerforyou:
  • tommyo3000
    Options
    I just received my Richard Simmons "Boogie Down the Pounds" 55 minute DVD..

I'll match you dance workouts - over and above my stairmaster workouts.. I just started exercising this week.