Jicama... what do I do with this thing?

Options
So I have been eating Paleo, and am planning on trying "Jicama home fries". Any other suggestions? I heard it was like "a potato meets an apple". Sounds interesting. I would love any suggestions.

Replies

• Aloemilk
    Aloemilk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When fresh, you can shred it and use it in a salad (especially mixed with tomatoes and such juicy veggies). Mexicans also just cut it in wedges and put some fresh lemon juice on it, and eat it just like that.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    LOL. When I saw the post title, I was about to reply "Jicama Home Fries".
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Tell me more about the jicama fries!!!! :wink:
  • ibelieveinlove7
    ibelieveinlove7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I dip them in guacamole. And put them in cold salads with black beans and peppers, etc... They keep pretty well that way and they make for good work lunches :)
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    peel, slice, douse with lime juice and chili powder.

cube and put in salads

cut into sticks and dip into hummus or guac or peanut butter

mmmm....
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never cooked jicama. I eat it raw as a snack during the day, dice it and throw it into salads, or even cube it, coat it in spicy seasonings and use it like croutons on a salad.

I don't know if the description of a potato meets an apple applies much to the taste, maybe just the texture. The taste of fresh jicama has a mildly citrus undertone and it's very moist, so I'd be curious how it goes trying to brown it up into home fries.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Pretty good just chopped up and dipped in Ranch dressing - but that's not very paleo of me. :laugh: Also good plain! :wink:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    When fresh, you can shred it and use it in a salad (especially mixed with tomatoes and such juicy veggies). Mexicans also just cut it in wedges and put some fresh lemon juice on it, and eat it just like that.

With chile!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKUBU-gcb18
    "Jicama Rice and Orange Spice"

I've been following this raw vegan channel for some snack ideas (still an omnivore though!), and it has some really awesome recipe ideas.

Seems like a creative side dish for a meal!
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... great ideas! I can't wait to try these ideas.

@ Wolfchild, that sounds delicious. For the home fries, it is a recipe from Well Fed. You cook them in the crockpot first in water. Then you drain and allow to dry. Then cook them up. There is a Jicama "potato" salad recipe as well, same precook.