Should I lose more before starting strength training?

Options
I have spent the last 6 months working out 4-5 days a week doing high-intensity cardio for 50 minutes. That, coupled with maintaining a calorie deficit, has allowed me to lose 54 lbs. However, I still want to lose another 46lbs overall.

I started the C25K 4 weeks ago and on my "rest days" I workout on the elliptical or stair climber. I feel like I need to start incorporating strength training to tone my body and not look like a deflated balloon. My concern is that since I still weigh 196lbs I am not close enough to my goal weight and will slow down my weight loss by adding strength. I've been pretty successful with cardio and nutrition changes but the weight loss has definitely already slowed down a good bit.

Should I wait until I reach a lower weight before I incorporate strength training or should I go ahead and start toning now? I have never participated in a strength training program so I really have no idea what to expect except what I've read on here about people gaining weight when adding strength training.

I'm 28 years old and worried about loose, saggy skin as I continue to get closer to my goal weight.

Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Start right meow.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It is never too soon to start!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Start now. I didn't start really lifting heavy (doing stuff like JM and similar) until I was almost at my goal weight, and now I cam combatting being skinny fat! And, yes, your progress on the scale may slow, especially at first and if you're new to lifting. But, you will notice changes int he way you look feel and how your clothes fit. Take measurements. The scale is only one way to measure progress. I'd rather lose some inches and have my pants feel better than have the scale show a 3 pound loss, but my pants still feel tight, wouldn't you!?!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Start....yesterday!
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    You should go ahead and start now. Muscle torches more calories than fat and you build more muscle doing strength training.

Start off with light weights and 2-3 reps of each exercise, you should feel like you couldn't do another rep without your form suffering. Once that gets easy move up to heavier weights.

It's never to late or to early to start.
  • kbrink19
    Options
    Ok- thanks everyone. I think I will definitely start strength training now.

It's a bit daunting with only being about halfway to goal but a good point was made about looking and feeling better rather than numbers on scale.