Pernicious Anemia

Options
Anyone else struggling with this?
I'm taking weekly B12 shots --- which has helped a TON but it's only a temporary fix. Need to know if anyone else out there is dealing with this bidness. would love to have motivation to push me to go to the gym when i am just. not. feeling. it.

Replies

• melgillis
    melgillis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hey, I don't know if my anemia is pernicious, but it certainly is a recurrent problem. And nobody can seem to tell me what causes it. I know my mother was this way, always low blood, always tired.

Absolutely there are days I don't feel I can hold my head up, much less workout. I don't take B12 shots every week, but I do take an iron supplement from shaklee. But the blood will always be low.

Anyway, back to the gym. Force yourself in. As you get your blood flowing, you'll feel better. You're not alone. Peace.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    blahh. i felt like there would be more responses to this... sad.

i have microcytic anemia as well as pernicious anemia - so yeah that's the low iron one. i get IV infusions for that one, but that's slightly different. there are over 200 types of anemia... but.... apparently i'm the ONLY ONE ON MFP lucky enough to have a b12 deficiency. go me. :(
  • trinitymel1982
    Options
    I dont get B12 shots weekly (had one today :( ) I get one about every 2 month (I get a monthly blood test to see if I need it as I have had blood clots) But I have to take Vit B and iron pills. these usaly work well, and my anemia dose not affect me to much, but as I have changed my diet my lvls are realy low. Its crappy feeling tired all the time, though its just something I have to live with I supose :(
  • hides89
    hides89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have recently found out I have pernicous anemia! I have had my first course of 12 shots, and am waiting for my first 3 monthly one. I've felt rubbish for the last month though :( I've been practically bed ridden so I don't have any tips yet!!

Have you joined the Pernicious Anemia Society? They're really helpful there! x
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I get monthly B12 shots...I started with weekly shots about a year ago, then 5 months ago I started on the monthly. When I am feeing exceptionally tired, with no valid reason for it, then I also take a daily under the tonque B12 pill. I will have more lab tests done next month to see what my levels are at now. I also have to take an iron supplement. My white blood cell count is very low and never gets into the normal range.

I sometimes just have to force myself to get moving, otherwise I feel even worse. I know that it is extremely frustrating, especially when the Doctors don't seem to know the cause, or how best to treat it. I also have Rheaumatoid Arthritis so that is probabley what causes it in me.

Try to stay positive...and just do the best you can.
  • kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with anemia for four years... its hard nearly fainting and always feeling sleepy on a daily basis
  • trinitymel1982
    Options
    bump
  • rahrah82
    rahrah82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have pernicious anemia, unfortunately I don't really have any answers.. I was so low I didn't even register so started on a shot every other day for a week, then every other week and now monthly .. I find for me that the first couple of weeks after a shot I am pretty good and then it starts wearing off.. the last week or rather last couple of days are hard but I find pushing myself to exercise and not let myself lay around like i feel like doing really helps
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    hi guys... i have chronic severe anemia - my problem is the feritin (ie. the stores) - my body won't absorb it.

I regular get iron infusions in the hospital to combat this.

To this day the only explanation that has been offered is my celiac disease, but to me it doesn't make sense as my body has managed to aborb every other vitamin and nutrient.

I think if the shots work, and you can get some iron infusions then do that too - i always feel better a few days after i have them.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, what is the test for pernicious anemia ? Is it blood test?
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, what is the test for pernicious anemia ? Is it blood test?

I'm in school for medical laboratory sciences so hopefully I can explain how the testing works!

The difference between pernicious anemia and regular vitamin B-12 deficiency is that there are cells in your stomach that lack intrinsic factor, which is required for B-12 absorption. If someone has pernicious anemia they lack intrinsic factor. So in the lab if blood work comes back with a B-12 deficiency (this is usually seen with low red blood cell count, low amount of hemoglobin, and the red blood cells are abnormally large), we have to go one step further and test for intrinsic factor to verify pernicious anemia or 'regular' B-12 deficiency. There is a specific test for intrinsic factor, but we wouldn't normally test someone unless they had the symptoms B-12 deficiency as seen on their regular blood work.
  • mboland76
    mboland76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've had pernicious anemia for 12 years. I give myself a B12 shot once every 3 weeks. Once I had it under control (which took about 6 months) I haven't had any other problems. Once that third week rolls around though, I start to feel exhausted. It's amazing - the next morning, after the shot, I've perked right up again.